• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

My plan to fix Social Security.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
27,399
3,943
126
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil
I thought there was no problem with Social Security? Isn't that what the democrats said when Bush said he wanted to fix it?
r u a robot?
 

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
7,756
11
81
Originally posted by: JMapleton
Originally posted by: CPA
Wait a minute - so an individual can't inherit their parents estate BUT can inherit their parents Social Security account?

At least be consistent.
SS is intended to give inheritance to the middle and lower classes, this help solve poverty. However I don't believe in inheriting large dynasties for thr wealthy which is more than just money, it's power and influence.
How does SS give "inheritance to the middle and lower classes"? There's no survivorship rights for offspring in SS, at least as far as I know.
 

ZeGermans

Banned
Dec 14, 2004
907
0
0
How about not do anything since the problems with it are just another in a long list of lies that conservatives eventually hammer into a talking point that the 'liberal media' just accepts without doing their job.
 

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
7,756
11
81
Originally posted by: ZeGermans
How about not do anything since the problems with it are just another in a long list of lies that conservatives eventually hammer into a talking point that the 'liberal media' just accepts without doing their job.
Your in-depth analysis fascinates me!
 

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
6,045
1
0
I say we pull out a Logan's Run fix and have planned obsolescence on the old people. Problem freaking solved, now who wants to renew?
 

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
6,278
0
0
Originally posted by: piasabird
You are already being ripped off as your tax money is taken out of the general fund to pay people on social security.

Welcome to being a patsy of a taxpayer.
Over the next 5 years SS will run something in the range of a $1.7 trillion surplus.

So you would be incorrect
 

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
4,179
2
81
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Originally posted by: JMapleton
Originally posted by: CPA
Wait a minute - so an individual can't inherit their parents estate BUT can inherit their parents Social Security account?

At least be consistent.
SS is intended to give inheritance to the middle and lower classes, this help solve poverty. However I don't believe in inheriting large dynasties for thr wealthy which is more than just money, it's power and influence.
How does SS give "inheritance to the middle and lower classes"? There's no survivorship rights for offspring in SS, at least as far as I know.
I know that, but if you'd read my op, in my plan I do think there should be inheritance of ss through us bonds.
 

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
23,028
1,289
126
Like others have said, fixing SS like that would mean a MASSIVE tax increase for us. Sure, we'll possibly get a slightly better return on the SS "investment" we made. But, it'll come at a surprisingly high shock when your taxes now skyrocket to make up for the loss. Plus, SS isn't meant to be an investment. It is meant to put food on the table if everything else craps out - plain and simple.

If you want good returns, you have IRAs, Roth IRAs, 401Ks, 403s, SIMPLE IRAs, etc. All of these are tax deffered and/or tax reduced. The government is giving away tons of free money (by not taxing you what you should be taxed) with these types of accounts so that you can earn even better yields. Or you can just invest your money as you see fit in a non-retirement account.
 

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
6,010
1
76
I like Obama's plan. His plan is to reduce medicare and SS benefits while increasing the taxes. That way, old people, demanding something be done to fix their crisis (initiated by Obama), will demand socialized medicine and healthcare. Once that system is implemented, the economy and society will collapse and then the failed welfare system will finally come to an abrupt end.
 

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
62,591
15,919
136
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
I like Obama's plan. His plan is to reduce medicare and SS benefits while increasing the taxes. That way, old people, demanding something be done to fix their crisis (initiated by Obama), will demand socialized medicine and healthcare. Once that system is implemented, the economy and society will collapse and then the failed welfare system will finally come to an abrupt end.
Medicine is already socialized for the elderly. The elderly will be the last group willing to let others in on the good deal they're getting. Old people don't like to share.

As for the sky falling, the oil will run out before the SS crisis hits and after that, not much else will seem all that important.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY