My PC Won't Start Up :(. Please Help! Infinite restart loop

Gapi182

Feb 21, 2013
Hey guys. I built a new pc about 2 months ago and got home today, installed my 2 new fans I got and now it won't work :(. It shuts down in about a second it turns on and then repeats that until I hold the power button to turn it off completely. I can't go into BIOS, my monitor doesn't even display anything. The fans and LEDs are all working and start spinning for the second the PC is on. I also never overclocked my CPU or GPU and have great cooling.
This is my rig if it helps:
CPU:3570k
GPU:7970ghz
PSU: Corsair AX850
MoBo:MSI MPower z77
CPU Cooler: Thermalright silver arrow extreme
HDD:1000GB samsung spinpoint f3
SSD:samsung 840 pro 256GB
RAM: 2x 4GB
Case: The original NZXT Phantom
Any help is much apreciated
Thanks

Automaticman

Sep 3, 2009
Try clearing your CMOS. You have a button for that on your mobo's rear I/O panel between some USB ports.

Gapi182

Feb 21, 2013
Tried it. DIdn't work :/. Every cable is out. The only thing running is the cpu, cpu cooler, ram(can't get them off because of the cooler) and the PSU...still the same problem. Dammit what did I do?

Automaticman

Sep 3, 2009
Your board also has an LED debug feature, can you read any error codes on it before it shuts off. Or maybe some POST codes from a chassis speaker?

Just for kicks, I take it you tried unplugging the new fans right?

Gapi182

Feb 21, 2013
No fan is plugged in except the cpu cooler fans. I took the new fans completely off. The debug monitor isn't displaying anything and I also hear no sounds. I have no idea how I could fuck up a 2 months old PC. RAM also seems in place. The only thing I can see that could maybe help is that the LEDs above the RAM turn blue as soon as my pc turns off and that's it.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Tried it. DIdn't work :/. Every cable is out. The only thing running is the cpu, cpu cooler, ram(can't get them off because of the cooler) and the PSU...still the same problem. Dammit what did I do?

Every cable? You should at least have the ATX and ATX12V connectors plugged into the motherboard.

Gapi182

Feb 21, 2013
well everything but that. I also tried a seond PSU which I had from my old PC. Plugged in only the Cooler's fans and the 2 cables you need for the p to run and the same issue so I think the PSU is not the problem here. That narrows it down to either the MoBo(my main suspect) cpu and ram.

Automaticman

Sep 3, 2009
Couple things:

Make sure your OC genie button at the top of the board isn't pressed in.

There is a very small button near the bottom right of your mobo called GO2BIOS that will force the system to enter BIOS on thenext boot, give it a try.

This looks promising, the switch is on the bottom far right of the board.:
MULTI BIOS SWITCH: Multi-BIOS Switch

This mainboard has two built-in BIOS ROMs (Labeled A and B, default BIOS ROM is A).
If one is crashed, you can shift to the other for booting by sliding the switch. In addition,
these two BIOS ROMs do not have the Auto Recovery feature, you need to maintain or
update the BIOS version by yourself.

BIOS recovery using the M-flash utility:
1. Ensure that the system is switched off.
2. Boot up the system with the operational BIOS ROM by switching the Multi-BIOS
switch.
3. Enter the BIOS setup → UTILITIES → M-Flash → Save BIOS to storage and then
save the file to a bootable USB pen drive (root folder).
4. Switch back to the BIOS ROM that needs to be recovered.
5. Choose “Select one file to update BIOS” and recover the BIOS ROM with the file
saved in the USB pen drive.

The lights above your RAM:
On the far left of the led bank is the DrMOS alarm that lights up red if DrMOS overheats.

To the right of thiose are the CPU phase loading indicators, more of these leds light up as teh CPU draws more power.

*edit*

Also, make sure the small jumper labeled JBAT1 just below and left of your CMOS battery does not have a jumper installed or anything shorting it.

Last edited:

Gapi182

Feb 21, 2013
Only the first 2 LEDs light up and then the system shuts down. JBAT seems to be okay. Still the same thing if I switch the BIOS :/. I think it's time to take it back :(.

Automaticman

Sep 3, 2009
yeah, make sure you clean off the old stuff first. I mean, I suppose you could just throw the cooler back on there to see if it POSTS. If you do get it working you definitely need to reapply the paste though.

Gapi182

Feb 21, 2013
yeah same problem sadly :(. I guess I'll send the motherboard and the cpu back since I don't know which one isn't woking.