Question My pc slowed down after moving it to new location

Caldera8888

Sep 14, 2020
Hey,

i have a question regarding my PC that is much slower after I moved it to another location. So my setup is: i7 3770k, 16gb RAM, 480gb SSD + 3 HDD, PSU: 650w bronze Corsair TX. I checked my temperatures (CPU, GPU, SSD, HDD), they are all fine. PC booting takes like 3-4 minutes, as well as shutting it down. But the problem doesn't end there, it is kinda sluggish in performance with the programs too. Sometimes it opens word document, or chrome fast like it was before (other times it doesn't), but there are to many artifacts in performance. Before moving I got the bios splash screen, nowadays it just boots way to long and instantly to windows home screen. I ran the disk health check up in crystal disk info and it says: Good 100% with kinda hot 53 celsius. They I ran Crystal disk mark, and what a surprise, it is not slow, it is kinda dead.. it is not even 30mb read write. I don't know how it is even moving. However I am running it approximately 10h a day with medium to high workload. I checked everything, there are no loose cables!

At last, my PC was renewed with new installation of windows 10 in January 2020, as well as new C drive (480gb SSD), so I just can't find what the problem of that sluggish and poor performance is. If anyone knows anything about this kind of situation, it would mean a lot to me!

Thank you in advance,

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
They I ran Crystal disk mark, and what a surprise, it is not slow, it is kinda dead.. it is not even 30mb read write.
Is that your SSD, or one of your other three HDDs? Either way, that's an anomaly, and should be investigated.

Do you have BOTH Norton and McAfee installed on that PC? If you do, don't do that, un-install (completely, using their uninstaller tool) one of them. That can cause slow disk. (And if you download and install Flash Player, if you're not careful with what you un-check when downloading, that may put McAfee on your system. If you were already paying for Norton... again, bad JuJu.)

Chances are, however, that moving the PC possibly physical jostled and damaged one or more of your HDDs, and now it's causing "pauses" in Windows, which can also affect bootup, as Windows enumerates physical drives and filesystems.

Run the mfg's diagnostics on ALL of your HDDs, and use your SSD mfg's toolkit to run a mfg diag on your SSD as well.

Also, if your SSD recently became almost full (Windows 10 2004 upgrade?), then that could be causing slowdown on your boot drive as well.

Caldera8888

Sep 14, 2020
Is that your SSD, or one of your other three HDDs? Either way, that's an anomaly, and should be investigated.

Do you have BOTH Norton and McAfee installed on that PC? If you do, don't do that, un-install (completely, using their uninstaller tool) one of them. That can cause slow disk. (And if you download and install Flash Player, if you're not careful with what you un-check when downloading, that may put McAfee on your system. If you were already paying for Norton... again, bad JuJu.)

Chances are, however, that moving the PC possibly physical jostled and damaged one or more of your HDDs, and now it's causing "pauses" in Windows, which can also affect bootup, as Windows enumerates physical drives and filesystems.

Run the mfg's diagnostics on ALL of your HDDs, and use your SSD mfg's toolkit to run a mfg diag on your SSD as well.

Also, if your SSD recently became almost full (Windows 10 2004 upgrade?), then that could be causing slowdown on your boot drive as well.
Thank you for your detailed answer!

I uninstalled norton and McAfee months ago, so that won't be a problem.
About HDD's, yes, maybe they are causing the problem. Can you suggest what program should I run on my HDD's and SSD (probably Adata Toolbox diagnostic for SSD).

I didn't quite understand that last part. My ssd has currently 9.9% free, but that wasn't the problem before, even though I know it is kinda full. But the load times of everything is quite slow, and even when its working its pretty slugish when i open programs. About Windows 2004 upgrade, I didn't install it, should I? (that's the only upgrade I didn't do)

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would not do the upgrade until you have more room and have sorted the issue, at the very least.

What is the model of SSD? Be sure to check health of all your drives, as well clean what space you can on the SSD. Also, I would check for malware and software issues.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
My ssd has currently 9.9% free, but that wasn't the problem before, even though I know it is kinda full.

Bring up 'Defragment and Optimize Drives' Make sure it says SSD for your slow drive, then click optimize. That will issue a Trim. However for ANY drive. HDD/SSD, if you are at 10% free it's time to start cleaning up and/or copying data off onto externals. WinDirStat does a great job of visualizing where the space went.

Reactions: Shmee

Caldera8888

Sep 14, 2020
I have done health check, they are all good, SSD and HDD, and preform very well, except the SSD (ADATA u630), which has dreadful speeds as mentioned in first post. About the upgrade, I have seen some controversy about not actually installing it, that it can actually make things worst, so some people recommend not to do it (the update that is).

I erased some data, so now I have 20%, and tested it with hdd scan, also everything is fine. Then I clicked optimise in Defragment and Optimize Drives, also everything went fine. Furthermore, I optimize and gone through diagnostic with adata toolbox, again everything went fine. Anyone have any step I could do next?
Thank you all for your answers!

Caldera8888

Sep 14, 2020
Maybe I am into something, just found out, even though on my task manager, it says 1-20% Disk, when I go to Preformance tab, I clearly see, 3 HDD 0% and C drive (SSD) 100%. I only once see that in my past very old laptop with HDD, but this is new SSD, so don't know what to do.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would certainly do a malware check, but keep in mind, the SU630 is a cheaper, lower quality SSD, and it is very full, so performance is not going to be stellar as it could be. Given how full it is, it might be wise to get a 1TB SSD of better quality, such as the 860 Evo, WD Blue 3D, or Crucial MX500. These are much faster SSDs with proper cache.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Caldera8888

Sep 14, 2020
I did what you said, downloaded malwarebytes and scanned through. Few detections were founded and erased. Still my SSD is mostly at 100% which is weird for this kinda configuration. It is more common at lowest dual core HDD solutions.