My parent's need a new front door. Home Depot or Lowes? Better places?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Why? How hard could it be?
To make it look good, a lot harder than it looks. Especially a pre hung door.
If it's not pre hung, good look having a noob match up the lockset with the striker.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
It's a nut buster :)

If you want to do it yourself get a pre-hung and a level and a plum. Fiberglass that are pre-stained are pretty nice, I would just go with the cheapest of the two places.

My mother is looking for something fancy :\ My mom is planing that when I go visit them for thanksgiving my dad and I will be able to install it

Bad idea?

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
My mother is looking for something fancy :\ My mom is planing that when I go visit them for thanksgiving my dad and I will be able to install it

Bad idea?

Yes. Not as easy as it looks. Pay the extra and get it done by a pro.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
If you have to ask where to buy a door and if it's a bad idea if you hang it....chances are...

Pay for it and be done with it. You'd probably spend a day or two trying and it still not be right.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

Bad idea?
What are your skill levels?
Pre hung door?
Know how to measure?
Know how to square/level?
Know what a shim shingle is?

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
What are your skill levels?
Pre hung door?
Know how to measure?
Know how to square/level?
Know what a shim shingle is?

My dad is getting into woodworking. He's been a mechanic for a while
Don't know yet. Door has yet to have been purchased
Yes
ASAIK yes
No

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
It's not hard to hang a door if you have construction experience, but if you don't know your way around basic construction tools, pay someone.

**EDIT: Don't cheap out on your front door, buy one that you like.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
It's not hard to hang a door if you have construction experience, but if you don't know your way around basic construction tools, pay someone.

**EDIT: Don't cheap out on your front door, buy one that you like.
This. And it's more about the correct way to square the door in the opening so that is hangs/closes correctly/lines up with the striker (if not pre hung) than the tools.
That and getting the 45s correct on the trim.

CrazyAznDriver

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2010
I had 2 installed from home depot this year. They did a good job. Though they don't do the installations, they use contractors.

kmcrowl

Nov 5, 2003
Buy the door from your local lumberyard. They will have better selection and higher end doors but will probably have to be ordered.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I had 2 installed from home depot this year. They did a good job. Though they don't do the installations, they use contractors.
Nef, that's good. I'd hate for a Home Depot salesperson to show up at my door and attempt to do some work for me.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
The worse thing that can happen is that we cant do it and hire some contractor to come finish up the job...

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
The worse thing that can happen is that we cant do it and hire some contractor to come finish up the job...

When I worked in construction, I always loved customers like you....you will pay a contractor twice as much to come and fix your fuck up.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
When I worked in construction, I always loved customers like you....you will pay a contractor twice as much to come and fix your fuck up.

oh... well in that case. Well I wonder how much they are saving by DIY

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
In all honesty, you are looking at a few hundred to have it installed. Not sure if that would include interior trim (door casing) or not.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
If your father has done any wood working and has done mechanical work, then hanging a door is child's play. It's trivial how simple it is (I don't care what the posters above say.) Ditto for putting in replacement windows. Hell, one of those television do-it-yourself shows had a pro show a woman how to put in the first replacement window, then she did the rest on her own. Watch half a dozen youtube videos; they explain how to do it quite well. There's a lot of satisfaction in doing such a job yourself; and it's nice to save a couple hundred bucks.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
If your father has done any wood working and has done mechanical work, then hanging a door is child's play. It's trivial how simple it is (I don't care what the posters above say.) Ditto for putting in replacement windows. Hell, one of those television do-it-yourself shows had a pro show a woman how to put in the first replacement window, then she did the rest on her own. Watch half a dozen youtube videos; they explain how to do it quite well. There's a lot of satisfaction in doing such a job yourself; and it's nice to save a couple hundred bucks.

You are correct in the simplicity of it, but I wouldn't make a front door my first construction/renovation DIY job if I had no previous experience

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
It's worth the extra bucks to have HD or Lowes get their contractor to do it. The contractor will bring the door with him. They are used to installing these doors cause they do it all the time. Plus, if there is a problem with the install afterwards you can call the contractor back out.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Check the frame to make sure that it is plum with a plumbob (or weight) & string, then measure the of-set if there is any. If it is some what plum to your liking, then order a door with exact dimension (make sure the door is exact dimension including the thickness). Take your door to the store that you order the door (make sure that they have the added service of cut out the key holes and matching hinge/hanger) with the hinges, but the door knob/lock remove so that they can match up the holes and hinge to your door.

You may need to play around with the screws a bit to make sure that the new door is square on the old frame, and may need to plane/sand a bit off the door to make it fit.

Get a pre hung door if the old frame is more than 1/4" out of square, because it will take you longer playing around with a new door in an out of square frame.

As said above get a level (a cheap 24" level will do), and use a string weight/plumbob to check and recheck, and recheck it again to make sure that the door frame and door is square before and after you install.

Good luck.