My parents have a stupid lock on their door.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
It opens from the inside whether it is locked on the outside or not, so I always lock myself out. To lock it, you turn the dial horizontal when most locks are vertical.

Dumb.

/rant

S

SlitheryDee

My grandparents have a lock like that. I imagine it's pretty useful if you have a key and tend to forget to lock your door.

Edit: speelink

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
We have a lock like that. My brain has this thing called "memory" and I remember to check if my door is locked before locking myself out. :p

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Yep, very stupid locks.

I always replace my doorknobs with passage knobs and then add a deadbolt. That way I need a key to lock my door.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Amused
Yep, very stupid locks.

I always replace my doorknobs with passage knobs and then add a deadbolt. That way I need a key to lock my door.

Yeah, that's what my front door has. Well, it's a standard front door handle with a thumb opener on the outside and deadbolt above the handle.

I have locking doorknobs to the garage and garage to the outside both with quality deadbolt locks and large brass reinforced plates screwed into the door jam and into the studs around the door jam.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Well, it IS your parent's house...they can have whatever kind of lock THEY want...What causes you to be so forgetful about this lock? MOST people would remember after the first time they got locked outside in their chonies...

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Wait, is this lock on the door to their bedroom?

He "always" locks himself out, so unless he frequently goes into his parents' bedroom, no.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Aflac
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Wait, is this lock on the door to their bedroom?

He "always" locks himself out, so unless he frequently goes into his parents' bedroom, no.

That's exactly the question I'm asking

Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Xyclone
We have a lock like that. My brain has this thing called "memory" and I remember to check if my door is locked before locking myself out. :p

What's this "MEM...ORY" thing you speak of and where can I buy some?

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
that is exactly how my new locksets work. Apply a little brain power and it will be ok.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Apparently the OP is a computer programmer because he can't seem to grasp this "hardware" problem.... :p

/groan

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
I have one of those and actually prefer it. If you're on the inside why should you have to unlock it to get out?

cavingjan

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
Isn't that a safety lock? Common on most new locks currently? It allows you to exit in the case of a fire without having to unlock that particular lock. Of course they are typically coupled with a deadbolt that you still have to unlock.

I took me about 2 weeks to get used to it when I replaced my locks this summer.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
I have one of those and actually prefer it. If you're on the inside why should you have to unlock it to get out?

Yeah, and no need to turn around and lock it when you leave.