My overview of the status of PC Gaming genres

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
This is just a thread for discussing the current state of PC Gaming genres. No real point per-se. I had an hour to kill, so I decided to type the following:

My analysis below (bad news before good):

FPSs:

Intelligent gamers are a minority. Thus unintelligent games (Halo, CS, etc) that involve nothing more than running and shooting are fun enough to engage most people without requiring mental stimulation. Add the fact that intelligent gamers also enjoy these games (who doesn't enjoy a huge Halo/CS/TF2 LAN?) for the social aspects, and you appeal to virtually the entire gaming audience as opposed to the minority, thus raking in more $$$.

To Valve's credit, they attempted to add some elements of traditional adventure games to the HL2 series (engaging NPCs, creative maps/placement, and a few puzzles), but given that these elements take up about 40 minutes tops out of the multitude of hours you'll spend playing the thing, and that the puzzles are pathetically easy, the point is appreciated but moot.

Adventure games:

Traditional adventure games have practically died (mostly due to the above), although the Myst series hung in there for a while, and Splinter Cell, despite being a console port (and not a traditional adventure game per-se) is still excellent. To add to the above, traditional adventure games also typically necessitate massive playing time and patience, something which most people lack. (It took me months to get through Riven without walkthroughs) Not to mention complex intellectual puzzles/situations. Back in the 90s, I remember taking pages of notes for some games, as there was so much information I'd forget it (and miss subsequent connections) after awhile.

The problem here is that creativity is required in droves, as plot development is typically more of an issue than item/weapons placement. Unfortunately, this creativity requires $$ that most companies aren't willing to shell out, and requires and audience (ie: intelligent gamers) that will appreciate it. I recently read one of the reader reviews on IGN for one of the Splinter Cells and the the reviewers main complaint was that the game was too hard, and when he got frustrated he couldn't just go wild and shoot everything. That's a direct paraphrasing. (He reference GTA as better because he COULD go around killing everything when he felt like it) I believe this represents the majority of gamers out there, and thus traditional Adventure games are dead.

I didn't mention Deus Ex and SS2 in the above, as they are in a class by themselves. Most people classify them as FPS/RPG, and while that description is true, it is, IMO incomplete. They included aspects of both genres, but the main attraction (IMO) was the atmosphere and plot. I once played SS2 in a dark room at night (my monitor being the only light source) and I literally jumped in my chair when I heard a cyborg right behind me, add to the fact that my gun condition was in the red and that I was low on ammo. In short, I was honestly scared shitless. THAT is quality. These games had a perfect balance of everything they needed, and then some. That is why they were as successful as they were.

Bioshock is the most recent attempt to revive the genre. Unfortunately, it sucks when compared to the above 2 mentioned games. It sucks horribly. Period. Granted, it's the best thing in this genre to come along in a while. That's not saying much.

For those of you interested in "traditional" adventure games, I recommend the following:

Planet's Edge: Arguably the best fully open space-based RPG/adventure ever. Similar to Starflight for those of you who remember it. It takes forever to finish, but it's fun and awesome. It's ancient, but will run perfectly under VDMsound on Windows XP (haven't tried it with Vista). Read the review on the underdogs page. It has some important info for gameplay.
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=830
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/

Star Control 2: A fully open-source remake (based on the original code) of the classic 90s game. Fully compatible with XP and (I believe) Vista. Also arguably the best space-based RPG/Adventure game ever.
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

The Myst Series. Riven is the most time-consuming and frustrating (lots of "push this button to make random shit happen on the other side of the island crap") but it makes sense eventually (for a puzzle). There are 5 Myst games total. The other 4 are easier (although still extremely challenging), make more sense, and don't include random buttons on random pipes that do random-ass things.

RPGs

RPGs have, IMO, not increased in quality as much as scale. With the advent of MMORPGs, gaming is now a social experience as well as a form of entertainment. However, the former has apparently taken the lead in this category, for obvious reasons. I enjoyed D2 for the most part, but I had to take it in short bursts, as I generally just got bored of the "hack-and-slash" mission style. Occasionally I'd level up and get a new skill, at which point I'd be engaged for about 10 minutes until I had perfected it's usage and got bored of watching the same visual effect several hundred times. In short, traditional RPGs were generally nothing but a practice in repetition IMHO. This effect has also transferred to MMOs. Even the FPS retards would get bored.

Thus the social aspect keeps people going (and paying a monthly subscription, something I also don't understand). Insecure people can level up and become "superior" to their "peers" with little effort. People can meet online and have something in common, and little pubescent kids can fulfill their fantasy of being the "hero of the realm" until being OWND by someone with more intelligence and crying about it to no end, thus insuring that the population of "insecure people" will continue through the generations.

Not that a social aspect to a game is bad per-se, it's just the scale that's the problem. The fact that "games" like "Second Life" exist is kinda sad. They're not games, they're life simulations; and since a good number of people's lives aren't where they want them to be, they can suddenly be wherever they want to be in life "virtually". Naturally they prefer this life to their own and spend more and more time in it, thus leading to terms like "World of Warcrack".

It is for those sad reasons (IMO) that MMOs around to stay, and traditional RPGs pale in comparison when it comes to profits. Like traditional adventure games, I predict that Traditional RPGs will soon be dead.

RTSs:

This is one of the genres that has seen significant improvement over the last few years. Old venerable like Starcraft raised the bar, which was raised even further by games like Rise of Nations, Age of Empires, and the Total War Series. Recently, CNC3 and Supreme Commander have emerged; the former being creative enough to flesh out the current boundaries, and the latter trying something new and increasing scale with new gameplay mechanics.

The caste of RTS gamers also tend to be a more intelligent crowd, as "Strategy" is the game and a good strategy requires intelligence, initially. The only problem with RTSs IMO is that they're not adaptive enough. AI can typically offer a fun challenge, but once it's behaviors are analyzed and known, it becomes quite easy to preempt and beat. (Although stacked forces in a single-player campaign can compensate for this). There's much more fluidity in multi-player for obvious reasons, but after a while, the game becomes less creative and more like a football play-book: A set number of strategies with a little prerequisite improvisation and luck (ie: The zergling rush, turtling, Venom rush, etc).

Personally, I think the best RTS would be similar in concept to the original URU (Myst's successor) idea, with a constantly evolving universe. Add a new unit every couple of months to shake things up and what-not, or add new terrain or battlefield effects. This is generally done through expansion packs, but these generally don't add much aside from a new Single-player campaign (Brood Wars added a whopping 2 new units). Then again, the cost to have developers constantly working on stuff like this is probably high, and it would detract from the development of new/better games, but you'd think a large company like EA would have the capacity to do both.

Simulations

This category has seen some of the best progress of any genre, basically because Computing power has increased, and allowed for more complexity/realism. In most simulators, complexity/realism IS gameplay, thus it's pretty easy to know what to improve. Simcity has expanded to insane levels, and "The Sims" albeit rather dry now, was a huge hit in it's day for good reason. Flight simulators have especially come a long ways. MS Flight Sim has come a long ways in terms of Graphics and Complexity, as have Combat flight simulators.

The only downside to this realism/complexity is the learning curve/cliff/Mt. Everest and cost required to run/play the things. While not necessarily as true in the "Sim" series and spinoffs, when it comes to flight sims, you need high-level (read: expensive) hardware to simply run the Sim at decent levels, not to mention the joysticks/rudder pedals/yokes required for the full experience. And unless you're a trained pilot, it's unlikely that you'll have an easy time of it (especially in the modern combat flight sims). While almost all have tutorials, of the Flight Sims that I've played, only Microsoft has included extensive "virtual lessons" that literally teach you how to fly in the simulator. However, these lessons are long, tedious, and the voice-over (who is supposedly a professional flight instructor) is annoying and scripted.

Once again, it takes a special type of gamer to play these, and fortunately they require a significant amount of intelligence (aside from a few dumbed down simulators) so the communities are typically high quality.

I'd write a conclusion, but dinner's ready now so...

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
perhaps you should consider a second job.

Agreed. I'm already looking into a full-time job as a salesman at Microcenter (I plant to submit my application in a couple of days). In the meantime, there's the gym, my computer, my TV, my friends when they're home from college (I'm taking a semester off), and of course, AT :)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: irishScott
FPSs:

To Valve's credit, they attempted to add some elements of traditional adventure games to the HL2 series (engaging NPCs, creative maps/placement, and a few puzzles), but given that these elements take up about 40 minutes tops out of the multitude of hours you'll spend playing the thing, and that the puzzles are pathetically easy, the point is appreciated but moot.

What I find interesting about this part is I see so many FPS gamers around complaining about games being the same old same old, then when someone tries to add something a little different they just complain they want the same old same old.

HL2, in my opinion, is the perfect example of a game that elicits this type of reaction.

KT

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
FPSs:

What I find interesting about this part is I see so many FPS gamers around complaining about games being the same old same old, then when someone tries to add something a little different they just complain they want the same old same old.

HL2, in my opinion, is the perfect example of a game that elicits this type of reaction.

KT

The point is that they didn't mix it up. I loved the first few scenes of HL2 when Gordon's running from the Overwatch on foot, as the involvement with the NPCs was such that it added to the environment and atmosphere. Not to mention the plot. After that, it's basically just running around (and by around, I mean in a restricted lane) shooting things, with insanely limited interaction. If Valve had made the rest of the game like the first few parts, it would've on par with Deus Ex and SS2.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
FPSs:

KT

Never thought of it that way. People complaining about the driving portions for example?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The point is that they didn't mix it up. I loved the first few scenes of HL2 when Gordon's running from the Overwatch on foot, as the involvement with the NPCs was such that it added to the environment and atmosphere. Not to mention the plot. After that, it's basically just running around (and by around, I mean in a restricted lane) shooting things, with insanely limited interaction. If Valve had made the rest of the game like the first few parts, it would've on par with Deus Ex and SS2.

See I disagree. There were lots of other little things throughout the game that made it standout to me like some of the driving sequences and puzzles. Another one was the pheropods to control the Antlions.

Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
Never thought of it that way. People complaining about the driving portions for example?

Yeah exactly. For me, things like that made the game for me. Also, the little puzzle type things they have throughout the game. Those are the things that helped make HL2 a standout for me, but others just complained about.

I guess everyone is different, but I just see so many people complain that games don't have enough story or they are just mindless shooters, but when something comes along (like HL2 in my opinion) that integrates other elements (and integrates them very well I must say), people get annoyed. :confused:

KT

Apr 17, 2005
FPSs:

KT

tru dat

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Oh look, another person that equates RTS with the bore that is SC :roll:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: lupi

Ummmm... SC is one of the largest/most successful RTSs ever, and was great at the time of it's release. I personally enjoyed CNC3 and RON the best (I like Supreme Commander, but my machine can't run it, so I've only played on a friend's machine a couple of times)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

Ummmm... SC is one of the largest/most successful RTSs ever, and was great at the time of it's release. I personally enjoyed CNC3 and RON the best (I like Supreme Commander, but my machine can't run it, so I've only played on a friend's machine a couple of times)

the question is:

SC = starcraft?

or

SC = supreme commander?

supcome = boredom

starcraft = 100% win.

sorry, supcom has all robotic units - NO character to the game.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

See I disagree. There were lots of other little things throughout the game that made it standout to me like some of the driving sequences and puzzles. Another one was the pheropods to control the Antlions.

Originally posted by: cmdrdredd

Yeah exactly. For me, things like that made the game for me. Also, the little puzzle type things they have throughout the game. Those are the things that helped make HL2 a standout for me, but others just complained about.

I guess everyone is different, but I just see so many people complain that games don't have enough story or they are just mindless shooters, but when something comes along (like HL2 in my opinion) that integrates other elements (and integrates them very well I must say), people get annoyed. :confused:

KT

It stood out in a good way, it just didn't stand out enough. The puzzles were so pathetically easy that (to me at least) they ended up being tedious annoying obstacles with no sense of satisfaction at the end.

And they added a driving part, and an airboat. So now I don't run around shooting things, I drive around shooting things, and the only differences are that I move faster, can run things over, and that control/aiming is more difficult. (With the exception of the gun you get at the end of the Airship portion). On the antlion portion, I hardly ever shot an antlion while driving. I just ran them over or left them in the dust.

Not to mention the plot was pathetically underdeveloped. Given the setting, there was so much room to run with it that I find it almost criminal that they didn't. I know they needed to save some stuff for the Episodes, but they could've been much more creative and had plenty of plot room to spare for them.

The pherepods were a nice feature and added a new dimension, but beyond that...

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

the question is:

SC = starcraft?

or

SC = supreme commander?

supcome = boredom

starcraft = 100% win.

sorry, supcom has all robotic units - NO character to the game.

Hmm... For me the game has to either be hopped up on strategy or character (preferably both). SupCom is definitely the former.

fierydemise

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
While have some minor nitpicks I think you hit the nail on the head, there are two general trends in gaming right now, one is graphical perfection which often times seems to be treated as a replacement of good gameplay however recent games give hope that graphical perfection is no longer the be all and end all of games. The other major trend seems to be the general dumbing down of games, even recent RPGs seem to be hopelessly dumbed down and most games seem to be focusing on providing multiplayer content over any meaningful single player experience.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

WC and TA were better than SC, and I'm going to go on that limb and say that I'm enjoying TA2 now more than I'd probably like SC2.

the game loses just a weeee bit of strategy when they are designing it so the skirmish matches will be done in about 15 minutes.

As far as the originals, the graphics in SC were the worse of the bunch and if looking for unique character units TA:Kingdoms would be better.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

WC and TA were better than SC, and I'm going to go on that limb and say that I'm enjoying TA2 now more than I'd probably like SC2.

the game loses just a weeee bit of strategy when they are designing it so the skirmish matches will be done in about 15 minutes.

As far as the originals, the graphics in SC were the worse of the bunch and if looking for unique character units TA:Kingdoms would be better.

Touche, although Warcraft II sucked by comparison to SC IMO. Warcraft III was pretty sweet, but I prefer insanely large armies as opposed to intensive micro (Oddly enough, I like the Protoss the best in SC). WC3 was a bit cartoony for me as well. Don't have much experience with TA2 or original, but to each his own.

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Hmmm...

I think NWN is still the #1 RPG out. It has the best community support (note: community support vs. community participation). It still sees much more action than NWN2 (which is too bugged for major play), is easier to develop third party, etc.

It's 4 yrs old, or so, and I guess in the computer game industry, that makes it old, but the system it's based on, from conception to today, is > 30yrs old.

I'm fond of RPGs, but not like "Second Life." I don't need to live through a game, but I do want to play through it.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Star Control 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I've never played another game like it. Too bad 3 was garbage.

As for traditional adventure games, eh maybe you can count the Telltale Sam & Max games.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
While the Splinter Cell games have generally been excellent, leaving aside the latest game in the series, they don't have much in common with adventure games at all. They're much more in the line of "sneakers" like the Thief series.

Adventure games (in the sense of Monkey Island, for example) are far and few in between these days. I think we get maybe one a year now. There was a new Broken Sword game released last year that I would like to pick up at some point. I don't think that series is the best example of the genre, but it's still pretty good.

I guess everyone is different, but I just see so many people complain that games don't have enough story or they are just mindless shooters, but when something comes along (like HL2 in my opinion) that integrates other elements (and integrates them very well I must say), people get annoyed.

I think the main problem with this game is that it got many of the basics wrong. It still holds the record for the worst level design I've seen since perhaps 2002. It's mind-numbingly linear and repetitive, and by and large, totally devoid of small details. Many of the levels look like they're taken straight out of the HL1 era. The plot was interesting in the first few levels and in a handful of cutscenes sprinkled throughout the game, but the remaining 90% of the game had almost no connection to the story and going through the levels elicited a feeling of pointlessness unlike anything else I've played in the last several years. The vehicles and character interaction (if you can even call it that) had already been done and done much better in previous FPS games, like Far Cry and Deus Ex.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
perhaps you should consider a second job.

Agreed. I'm already looking into a full-time job as a salesman at Microcenter (I plant to submit my application in a couple of days). In the meantime, there's the gym, my computer, my TV, my friends when they're home from college (I'm taking a semester off), and of course, AT :)

Salesman? You should seriously look into working/writing for a gaming website/magazine - at least submit articles to see if they'll get published...

Perhaps one of the biggest contributers to "dumbed down" games can be blamed on high-speed connections & the popularity of the internet? :)

Back in the dark ages - when we used BBS's, floppy diskettes, and 300/1200 baud modems - (anyone with a 19.2k modem was a rock star) - Some games required us to use our imagination and pen/paper [or a stellar photographic memory], others actually had a great storyline, and a few required a little bit more skill to play [there are a few that I still curse to this day..... ANOTHER WORLD being top on my list].

Along comes the DSL/Cable/Hi-Speed connections to the Internet that provides us with insta-gratification and we've become spoiled and impatient. If we can't be satisfied within 30 seconds, then we're bored and move onto something that can satisfy our needs.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
I think the dumbing-down of games pretty accurately reflects the dumb-down in the population at large, the ADD generation with their excitotoxin-fried brains.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
None of the games the OP mentions are RPGs. Diablo 2 a traditional RPG? LOL.

Pretty much no gamer plays enough genres deeply enough to have insightful comments on all of them: a few, sure, but the rest are rehashed and wierdly reflected conventional wisdom.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
1. Deus Ex and SS2 are FPS games, whether or not your bias allows you to admit it.
2. While Adventure games may have come close to dying, your summary fails to acknowledge several recent entries, while instead, choosing to mention a 3rd person shooter: Splinter Cell. Some worthy mentions would have been Uru Live, Sam and Max Episodes, the new Penny Arcade game coming out, Fahrenheit, and Dreamfall.
3. Diablo2 is not a traditional RPG. It is a hack-and-slash, Action RPG with monty haul style loot rules.
4. Why are you making a list of genres when you don?t even understand a monthly subscription? If a person can be entertained by WoW for several months in a row, they have actually saved money in the long run. The only person subscriptions probably don?t make sense to is someone who steals their games and thus doesn?t really understand the costs associated with their habit.
5. You?ve completely ignored puzzle games, Non-RTS strategy games, Non-FP shooters, and a whole host of other genres.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Acanthus
I cant wait for simcity5, although i will definately try it before i buy it.

I think we're both going to be disappointed with simcity5 - working title SimSocieties. It's less city creation, more societal experimentation.