my OBSD box is seriously bloated... :/ what can i delete?

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
/usr is 98% full!!!

this box is only a firewall. i need it to be lean.

what can i delete?

/usr/obj is 395mb... this is only used for a system rebuild right... so i can purge it?
/usr/src is 565mb... i can purge this too right?

what can i delete to clear out room on this box?

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
/usr/obj/* is only for builds. Purge!
make clean in /usr/src atleast.

Poke around, see what you don't really need.

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
ha... you know what... essentially.. i expected to get the resolution from you... i should have just titled the thread "n0cmonkey take a look at my other OBSD problem" ;)

thanks again. :)

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
i did make clean on /usr/src, it didn't do much unfortunately, it's still at about 535mb. i did clear out /usr/obj which gave me 350mb to work with.

the box is really threadbare. i don't have any applications on it other than apache. and the only reasons that's there is cause i compiled it by source, so i don't know exactly what to get rid of :/ .... any other suggestions?

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Can you use NFS? :p You could then move all src off of that system onto a system with a bigger disk. If you have a bigger slice somewhere else in the system, you can put the src there. I think I have it in /home/src on a number of systems :p

Need:
pppd? (pppd :p)
audioctl? (audio)
mixerctl? (audio)

You can go down the list of files in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin and pick things off.

What was wrong with the apache that came with the system? :p

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
i never played with NFS. know of any good tutorials?

as for deleting things, i'm worried that i'll break something if i delete it. :/

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
NFS isn't too tough. I figured it out. Check out NetBSD's netboot FAQ and diskless(8).