My not so fun and still unresolved ASUS RMA Experience

jimbobsilver

Sep 11, 2019
I had heard that Asus support was bad but I had no idea just how truly god awful it was until my recent experience with a dead X99 Deluxe II motherboard. I have been nothing short amazed how at every opportunity Asus has consistently disappointed me in ways I honestly didn't even think were possible. To those who buy Asus products I hope this never happens to you. For what it's worth here was my experience:

In July my X99 Deluxe II motherboard failed for reasons unbeknownst to me. I went through their normal RMA process and about a month later I received the replacement board. Well unfortunately for me the replacement board they sent was also DEFECTIVE. After escalating the issue to a level 2 technician suddenly the option of an advance RMA became available. Sounded good to me the only problem was they were out of stock, when will they be back in stock? No one knows! But I can check back in every day to see if their inventory has updated. Well after checking in daily for a week with no success and no estimate on when if ever it'll be back in stock I escalate my issue to a level 3 technician. He agreed to (pending management approval) do a model swap with something they do have in stock. After a week they offer me an x299 motherboard which isn't compatible with cpu, so not a viable option. A week later they offer to swap with a Rampage V edition 10, yay a compatible motherboard! So I accept, but I inform them I will need the accompanying accessories (namely the IO shield, mounting frame, and m.2 screws) since I never bought a rampage V board I don't have any of those accessories which will be necessary to instal my computer in my case.

It takes about two weeks for them to "process" the model swap and do their "quality testing" and even though they promised overnight shipping they mail it normal Fedex...and they don't have any of the original accessories...and they don't know when they'll get them. Great a motherboard I can't mount, Awesome!
Well just about 60 days after my first failure I just received my 2nd replacement motherboard...and it's missing the pre-mounted I/O Shield! I didn't even know that was possible! I mean it's built into the motherboard I don't know why or how they even removed it. So back to square one with contacting Asus support.

tl:dr: My Asus x99 Deluxe II died, after a month long RMA they sent me a defective replacement motherboard. After going through another month long replacement process, where first I was told I was S.O.L because they were out of stock, then offered a motherboard incompatible with my cpu, and then finally offered a different model motherboard that worked with my cpu (a Rampage V edition 10) but with no accessories so I can't actually install it in my case. I finally get my replacement motherboard...and the pre-mounted I/O Shield has been physically removed from the board. I didn't even think that was possible. Now I'm on month three and still no working motherboard a no way to instal it in my computer...

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Wow that really sucks. I don't know what to suggest other than request a replacement IO shield or another motherboard. Have you tried the board to see if it works? You could always use it without the shield, if everything else is ok with it.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Isn't Asus has been long known to be notoriously bad RMA in the US since the Athlon K7 days?

They are so ridiculously overpriced here in Singapore that I will never have to deal with them. Their 2060S costs more than a Zotac/Palit 2070S FFS.