My new HK AVR 230 and my new problems...

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
Hello, I got a new HK 230 this week and the manual is terrible and I need help setting it up. My main problem concerns cables and which goes where. Right now I have an HDTV that has 2 component inputs. They are both being filled by my HDTV receiver and DVD player. If I buy one more component cable, I can free up some RCA jacks on my tv (RCA and Component connect using same ports). Thus I can connect my component cable items to my receiver(anyone know a place to get component cables below the $25 price of BB?). It is at this point I get really confused. On the back of my TV it says monitor out. On the back of my receiver it says monitor out. I'm assuming I connect the monitor out on the receiver to the RCA in on the TV correct?
Now if I want to connect the VCR...I assume I connect the video output from the VCR to the Video 2 INPUT(They seem to reccomend TV for Video 1, VCR for Video 2, SAT for Video 3). Should I connnect the video 2 output on the receiver to anywhere?
On to the Dolby digital (I think I have this right). I've connected both my DVD player and my Sattelite HDTV receiver to the optical inputs. The outputs should go nowhere correct?
My final issue seems to be with the Remote. I cannot get my sattlite remote (which I use for everything) to work with the HK because the HK remote has a seperate on and off button. When I enter the code on the remote, it will either turn it on only or off only (not both). Also my HK remote will not recognize any of my peripherals except for the DVD player! I guess if there aren't any special codes out there, I have to get a universal remote. Can someone reccomend a good one that does macros for under 75 dollars?
Thanks for all the help. If you need help trying to figure out what I'm trying to do, here is the HK manual. LINK Thanks

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The monitor out on the receiver would go to the TV.

If your receiver has multiple component inputs you could put your devices into the receiver and use the component output to the TV, to free up one connection on the TV. Just make sure the component outputs on the H/K can handle the HD signal (some can't).

The optical outputs would not be used from the reciever, just the inputs.

You can probably find some cheap cables at Walmart or Target. I'd just use Acoustic Research cables which are decent and aren't too $$.

The VCR could use any of the inputs, but why not just go directly to the TV with the video and send the audio through the receiver. The video output on the H/K wouldn't be used for the VCR unless you were passing the VCR's video through the receiver.

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
You can probably find some cheap cables at Walmart or Target. I'd just use Acoustic Research cables which are decent and aren't too $$.

I use Acoustic Research as well anda they are about 25 bucks at Best Buy (I guess I'm just not used to spending so much on HT stuff).

The VCR could use any of the inputs, but why not just go directly to the TV with the video and send the audio through the receiver. The video output on the H/K wouldn't be used for the VCR unless you were passing the VCR's video through the receiver.

I can't go through the TV just yet because I have no more RCA jacks on my TV. Once I get my component cables, I'll go straight through the TV.

Also does anyone know if there is a way to rename the Video 1/2/3/4 to like TV or VCR so it's easier to remember?
Anyone have any suggestions about what to do with the remote problem?

AEnigmaWI

Jan 21, 2004
are you really sure that your component jacks on your TV are the same as your RCA Audio/Video? The jacks are physically the same, but they are in no way the same otherwise..

Here is what I would suggest: Your TV may have one or two sets of component inputs (3 RCA type jacks that are red/blue/green) at least 2 sets of RCA Audio (white / red pair) and probably one or two RCA Video (yellow) with corresponding rca audio jacks. It may also have S Video Input that uses the same audio ins as the RCA composit video (yellow). It is unlikely that the component and other jacks are shared function, although I suppose it is possible. I have never seen it tho, and I have seen a rather lot of tv's and connection schemes. What kind of TV is it?

Most likely your TV has one component input video and one composite/svideo input on the back, maybe one more composite/svideo in teh front.

If you only have one component input on the TV, you would need to switch your other devices to use it. If you have more than one, then connect the DVD and HDTV to the TV with the component cables for the video portion, and to the receiver via optical for audio.

The VCR will have to be connected to the TV in some fashion. If your tv has some odd shared ports, then you are sort of SOL. If it actually has one set of component, and one set of composite, simply run composite video out from VCR (yellow) to your TV. I don't know why your TV would have a monitor out jack for video.. the audio (red/white RCA) just run into the receiver video input on whatever number you want.

The outputs on the receiver for video/audio on the video inputs are for recording purposes. They would run to your VCR if you were running video/audio through the receiver that could pass to the VCR.

snap a pic of the jack pack on the back of the TV and I can tell you exactly how to run things. =) i am familiar with the HK receiver, but A/V receivers are fairly similar regardless of brand as far as hook-up goes.

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
Pic of back of TV

I have realized, since my Sattelite box is my only tuner, I don't really need monitor out from the tv. Basically I have it figured out I think. I will buy a component video cable to connect to the TV. I will connect both component (sat and DVD) to the receiver. I will connect the VCR to the video 2 input of the receiver. I will connect the monitor out to AV1 input on the tv. I will connect RCA output 2 from the sattelite to VCR input so that I can record programs off the sattelite. Both Optical plugs will be put into the receiver. So on the back of the TV I should only have 1 video wire going to AV1 from the receiver. If anyone sees a fault in my plan please tell.

Also, I really need suggestions on how to get this remote to work with my sat/tv. It seems not to like to work with new samsung equipment. I got my VCR and DVD to work with the HK remote. I got the TV to at least flash its light when it sees a signal but no functions work. The only reason I am so concerned with doing this is because I really want to be able to use macros. I've checked on search engines with people who have the HK and the sat receiver but none have complained about the inability to use the HK remote with the SAT. One other thing that pisses me off about the HK remote is I can't control the HK with my regular SAT remote. Since the HK remote has an ON button and a seperate OFF button, I can only make my SAT remote either turn it off only or on only! Thanks for all the help

AEnigmaWI

Jan 21, 2004
only question is whether the receiver will upconvert the composite video signal from your VCR to the component output.. if not, you would have to run a composite video to the tv from the receiver as well... so you will have two cables to television, one for composite video, one for component..

you would want to connect the composite to av2 and the component to component 2...

you can program a learning button to turn the receiver off, and use the power button for the "on" I had to do this with my Onkyo receiver.. many higher end components have a separate on and standby remote code... Is that a learning remote that comes with the HK? If it isn't I would get the cheapest sony remote that has learning and macros..I belive it's about 60 bucks.

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
thanks for all the help with wiring. Now my remote problem is really starting to annoy me. I just found out that whenever i press any number 0-9 and the number "4" in sequence, it will shut off my receiver. THIS IS A HUGE PAIN IN THE ___! If I buy a "learning" remote, will this solve the problem by changing the signal or something or am I stuck with this?

AEnigmaWI

Jan 21, 2004
a learning remore replicates the signal pattern of the original remote. A good one will be able to produce any IR signal in pretty much the exact way the factory remote for the component does. It will solve most remote kinds of problems because even if you have to program every single button, you most likely will only have to do it once, and it will work as it should, instead of having to find a "close match" by using pre-programmed codes.

Sony has a good rep for mid range remotes, and there is good documentation for them from several enthusiast sites online. One other remote to check out is the Chameleon.. They carry it as circuit city, and it has good features and looks swanky, for not too much $$.

edit:
Here's a link to a decent Sony with learning functions: link

Here's a link to the Kameleon remote: link