My monitor has a brown hue, anyway to fix?

Arsinek

Feb 9, 2010
So I'm a graphic designer and recently have needed to start doing work at home. I've always known about this problem but it never really bothered me because I only used my home PC for typical home PC stuff but that has changed now.

I have 2 monitors, my main monitor, which is the one with the problem, is a 24 inch Samsung SyncMaster T240 and my other monitor is some old Dell flat screen thats like a 19 inch I bought for $50.

The entire picture on my main monitor has a brownish hue, it looks like crap. And my $50 dollar old Dell monitor looks much more accurate, no brown.

Any ideas whats going on here?

One thing I did which may have messed up my monitor was use Samsungs monitor calibration software that came with the monitor. I want to say when I first got the monitor it didnt have this problem until I used that software.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
If you've been playing with calibration software then that could definitely be a culprit. Delete your custom profiles and go back to stock (sRGB if it's available) and see what happens.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I have the same display but didn't use the software.

My question is what did the software actually do to change the display?

Can you press the buttons on the display to bring up the little control menu, and browse through the various settings and let us know what they are (like contrast, red, green, blue, brightness, etc.)?

Maybe it's just a matter to changing your settings back to good ones, which are accessed by pressing the physical buttons on the display. There is even a "reset" options in the display menu, if you want to try that to start.

Worst-case is your backlight is dying and so dim that the monitor is technically broken.

GlacierFreeze

Golden Member
May 23, 2005
I've seen different colored hues on various monitors. For me, it was always fixed by changing the video cable. Either the pins get bent and don't make a connection or the internal wiring gets messed up.

ruben_c

May 30, 2014
How did you calibrated with your Samsung tool? You didn't use a calibration tool?

If you wish to have reliable colors on both screens, you need a sensor like a Spyder for example. Otherwhise there is no device for the Samsung software to "read" the colors correctly and the result is the color tint you got...

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
probably a lack of blue in the greyscale. put up a greyscale ramp and toy with the RGB controls until it looks neutral.

Arsinek

Feb 9, 2010
Digging this tread up for people with Samsung monitors that may have same problem.

The problem appears to be the Samsung driver. If you Google around youll come across Samsung monitor owners with the same problem.

If you use Photoshop, Photoshop will actually tell you your Samsung color profile is defective.

The fixes Ive seen so far are to stop using the Samsung driver and use windows plug and play driver, which I havent figured out how to do yet.

Or just change your color profile. The thread I saw talking about it the person said they switched to Adobe RGB.

I still havent fixed the problem myself. Id like to remove the Samsung driver and switch to Windows plug and play but Im having a hard time setting that up.