My Mom's dog is in the puppy-hospital ...

xdreadpiratedoug

Jul 25, 2007
Last week, my mom and step-dad went on vacation to Minnesota, and asked a long time family friend to house sit for her a few weeks ago, something that she normally does for them. About two weeks ago, my mom gave our friend the keys and garage opener so that she could get over there to watch the house & dogs.

I had asked my Mom on Friday to give me a call when she got in - so on my way to the game today, I get a call and I asked if they made it in fine. It turns out that our friend didn't stay at the house to take care of the dogs - two cute pugs, about 8 & 9 years old. She said that she didn't remember what day she was supposed to be there, and wasn't sure that my mom did want her to take care of them. Well, my parents came home to a messy house, with two dogs severely dehydrated. Annabelle is in the one that is in the hospital, with possible brain swelling and unable to really move around to being dehydrated - my parents might have to make the decision to put her down.

Is it wrong for her & I to insist that this family friend not be at any of our functions for a few months or so? I know that my mom hasn't talked to her about this, because she's afraid of saying something while being angry.

What would you guys do?

Picture of the puppy.

Cliffs:
Parents went on vacation, asking family friend to stay and take care of dogs.
Family friend forgot when to be there.
Dogs were home alone for a week, no water/food.
One pup is in the hospital, and we might lose her.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
without knowing the conversation between your mother and the friend its hard to place blame anywhere. as far as her not being at any function, would that be difficult not to invite her to these functions? also what are the functions about?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: dreadpiratedoug
Last week, my mom and step-dad went on vacation to Minnesota, and asked a long time family friend to house sit for her a few weeks ago, something that she normally does for them. About two weeks ago, my mom gave our friend the keys and garage opener so that she could get over there to watch the house & dogs.

I had asked my Mom on Friday to give me a call when she got in - so on my way to the game today, I get a call and I asked if they made it in fine. It turns out that our friend didn't stay at the house to take care of the dogs - two cute pugs, about 8 & 9 years old. She said that she didn't remember what day she was supposed to be there, and wasn't sure that my mom did want her to take care of them. Well, my parents came home to a messy house, with two dogs severely dehydrated. Annabelle is in the one that is in the hospital, with possible brain swelling and unable to really move around to being dehydrated - my parents might have to make the decision to put her down.

Is it wrong for her & I to insist that this family friend not be at any of our functions for a few months or so? I know that my mom hasn't talked to her about this, because she's afraid of saying something while being angry.

What would you guys do?

Picture of the puppy.

Cliffs:
does the lady who was supposed to be dogsitting have alzheimers? :confused:

i would think she wouldn't dare show up at any of your functions from now on, and she needs to be told that she really effed up. i hope your mom isn't hiding that from her.

xdreadpiratedoug

Jul 25, 2007
Originally posted by: KK
without knowing the conversation between your mother and the friend its hard to place blame anywhere. as far as her not being at any function, would that be difficult not to invite her to these functions? also what are the functions about?

Most of the family functions are BBQs or just general parties where all our friends are invited. The conversation was pretty general, and our friend agreed to watch the house/dogs.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001

Yeah, really. How do we know that your mother didn't just casually mention it to the friend?

xdreadpiratedoug

Jul 25, 2007
Originally posted by: moshquerade

What would you guys do?

Picture of the puppy.

Cliffs:
does the lady who was supposed to be dogsitting have alzheimers? :confused:

i would think she wouldn't dare show up at any of your functions from now on, and she needs to be told that she really effed up. i hope your mom isn't hiding that from her.

Heh - she's in her 30s. I'm pretty sure she'll be told that, when my mom can come to terms with what happened and does want to talk to her. This isn't the first time that they asked her to stay, she's done it normally twice a year or so.

xdreadpiratedoug

Jul 25, 2007
Originally posted by: biggestmuff

Yeah, really. How do we know that your mother didn't just casually mention it to the friend?

Casually mention it? I guess handing someone the key and garage door opener is pretty damn casual, inviting them in when ever they please then?

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001

Casually mention it? I guess handing someone the key and garage door opener is pretty damn casual, inviting them in when ever they please then?

So your mother gave her the key and told her the days. What was the lady's reaction when she realized she forgot?

xdreadpiratedoug

Jul 25, 2007

So your mother gave her the key and told her the days. What was the lady's reaction when she realized she forgot?

Not sure, I haven't talked to my Aunt about it ... she acted as a liaison between my mom and the friend. I'm pretty sure it was a, "Oh shit, I fucked up bad." reaction - we've known her 20 years or so, since she was a teenager.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Poor dogs. A week without food and water for senior dogs.

fwiw - times I've been away from home and had some one look after my dogs, I've called every day to see how things were going.

xdreadpiratedoug

Jul 25, 2007
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

fwiw - times I've been away from home and had some one look after my dogs, I've called every day to see how things were going.

I asked my Mom about that too - but, her answer seemed pretty reasonable. We've had this friend do this several times, so she was accustomed to it and trusted her, knowing that chances are she wouldn't answer the phone when she called.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

We check, double, and triple-check our petsitting schedule whenever we go on vacation. Even then we still call everyday to make sure Bacon is doing okay.