My microwave has a crack in it. Ok to use?

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Wife discovered a crack on back of the microwave. Still works fine, no clue how long it's been there. Ok to use or is it leaking out STALKER level radiation into my house?

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Put your cellphone in it (do not turn on the microwave) and try and call it.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Depends what is cracked. If it is the OUTER case, don't worry. If it is the INNER back wall, look at it very closely. Most are covered with an enamel coating. So, is it just a crack in the coating with solid metal behind that? Or, is the actual metal panel cracked? You NEED the metal panel to be continuous without cracks in order to prevent significant leakage of microwaves through the walls of the interior chamber.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
You decide - how much is a new microwave, and your family's health. Even if there's a remote chance of anything goes wrong, I'd just go buy a new microwave.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Depends what is cracked. If it is the OUTER case, don't worry. If it is the INNER back wall, look at it very closely. Most are covered with an enamel coating. So, is it just a crack in the coating with solid metal behind that? Or, is the actual metal panel cracked? You NEED the metal panel to be continuous without cracks in order to prevent significant leakage of microwaves through the walls of the interior chamber.

Feels like metal, some corrosion where the crack separates. And odd place to split wide open like that.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
You don't have to melt it. Just chew a piece of lead to soften it, then push it in the crack.

Alternatively, he could line the interior of the microwave with heavy duty aluminum foil. Make sure it is very thick in the area where the crack is.