Question my latest visit to Micro Center

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Whenever I drove through Cleveland, Cincinnati or Columbus, I always used to try to fit in a half hour to hour stop at Micro Center - mostly to
browse their collection of open box motherboards. Up until the last time I visited (probably 8 months ago), they almost always had 10 - 14 AMD
and Intel open box motherboards in the $60 to $80 range to pick from, usually with another 8 to 10 in a higher price range.

We were just in Columbus for a science fiction convention this weekend, and I swung by Micro Center to look at their open box
motherboard section. Instead of the large selection I have become used to, they had about 15 motherboards, nearly all Intel.
Prices ranged from $150 to $210!!!

Wow, definitely not what I was used to. Did I just happen to go look when they had sold out of the lesser priced boards, or is this
pretty common these days?

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I've never had any issues with any of the open box boards that I've purchased. I'm wondering if most of them were returned because a person had a brand new cpu that wasn't supported by the motherboard's old BIOS - and it may have just needed a BIOS update.....

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I've never had any issues with any of the open box boards that I've purchased. I'm wondering if most of them were returned because a person had a brand new cpu that wasn't supported by the motherboard's old BIOS - and it may have just needed a BIOS update.....

I've just found the CPU bundles to be such a value, that when I did just need a board, I bought a CPU too. And flipped it and made decent money locally super easily. That way I start out with all new stuff.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
In general, current Intel boards are getting more expensive, as well as AM5 boards. AM4 boards should have some cheaper options though, but it may depend on what that MC has available.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Maybe most of the folks who were upgrading motherboards did so during the last couple of years, during the pandemic, and so there aren't that many open box motherboards right now? I don't have a problem with open box, since it states on the box that it is still covered by the manufacturer warranty. One time I did have to write to the manufacturer for a backplate, though. I don't mind buying used to get a discount, so I guess "very slightly used" - like open box, works out ok for me. Of course, I've never purchased a new car, either - all of the vehicles I've owned have been broken in by someone else, first.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Oh how I wish that MC had a store here in Jacksonville as the only component supplier in town is BB and they don't stock higher end components in store. I wish that we did as I miss being able to go to a brick and mortar store to buy components and its been 5 years since TD closed their formerly CompUSA stores.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I do not think they give you a great discount on open-box motherboards. Usually 10~15% or so. You'd think they should be more generous! I also browse Microcenter open-box stuff occasionally and find the best bargain to be accessory stuff. (cable, keyboards, adapters, etc.)

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I do not think they give you a great discount on open-box motherboards. Usually 10~15% or so. You'd think they should be more generous! I also browse Microcenter open-box stuff occasionally and find the best bargain to be accessory stuff. (cable, keyboards, adapters, etc.)

I wonder when this changed - I was finding more basic open box motherboards marked down to $60 or so pretty regularly when I visited several different stores. Occasionally, I'd see one marked down to as low as $45 that was missing a backplate or something like that.