My journey seeking to document dystopian NYC

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
Re: doomed NYC

Commercial districts outside Manhattan recovering. NYC is a lot more than tourists and midtown office workers though it's a big chunk of the economy.

It's silly to suggest any one place did it right.

The end result will be the same regardless: Cases are going to quickly ramp back up just like they are currently happening in European countries.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

The end result will be the same regardless: Cases are going to quickly ramp back up just like they are currently happening in European countries.

I dont see where that post says they did it "right". And yes, cases will increase with increased social interaction and lax mask / social distancing adherence, even in rural areas.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

My post was intended to inform some people who are proclaiming NYC to be a nearly dead anarchist hell hole that they might be a little off the mark. Life in much of the city is proceeding largely as it has done through even worse situations. It will be there long after all of us are gone.

Positivity rates in NY are quite low and have remained there as testing overall remains high. This is probably in no small part due to high seroprevalence (maybe in excess of 25% for NYC as a whole), high mask adherence, and continued limitations for venues likely to spread the virus. Some of Europe, especially the UK, Spain, and France gave up on the latter two of those so its second wave time.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
My post was intended to inform some people who are proclaiming NYC to be a nearly dead anarchist hell hole that they might be a little off the mark. Life in much of the city is proceeding largely as it has done through even worse situations. It will be there long after all of us are gone.

Positivity rates in NY are quite low and have remained there as testing overall remains high. This is probably in no small part due to high seroprevalence (maybe in excess of 25% for NYC as a whole), high mask adherence, and continued limitations for venues likely to spread the virus. Some of Europe, especially the UK, Spain, and France gave up on the latter two of those so its second wave time.

I think anyone with half a brain knows the DoJ is compromised and working on the half of the dotard in chief. Only an idiot would argue otherwise.

Reactions: hal2kilo

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
You should try watching some Louis Rossman videos on YouTube. He's a (non-political) guy who mostly posts MacBook board repair videos, but lately he's been riding around town and showing all the businesses that have been recently abandoned because of COVID. He also showed the aftermath of the business damage from the BLM riots. What's crazy is that most of the business owners are refusing to lower their rent even though there is far less tourist traffic now, basically guarantying that those stores will stay empty for the next six months.

While it's not as bad as Fox News is trying to make it look, I certainly wouldn't want to be living in NYC right now. There is a reason why all the tourist rentals in my area (I live in coastal Connecticut) are still mostly booked after Labor Day... they don't want to go back to a place where many businesses and entertainment venues are still shut down.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You should try watching some Louis Rossman videos on YouTube. He's a (non-political) guy who mostly posts MacBook board repair videos, but lately he's been riding around town and showing all the businesses that have been recently abandoned because of COVID. He also showed the aftermath of the business damage from the BLM riots. What's crazy is that most of the business owners are refusing to lower their rent even though there is far less tourist traffic now, basically guarantying that those stores will stay empty for the next six months.

While it's not as bad as Fox News is trying to make it look, I certainly wouldn't want to be living in NYC right now. There is a reason why all the tourist rentals in my area (I live in coastal Connecticut) are still mostly booked after Labor Day... they don't want to go back to a place where many businesses and entertainment venues are still shut down.

There's a number of cities affected. There's also plenty of videos of police assaulting peaceful protesters and inciting violence, essentially rioting themselves.

So yeah, plenty of people who have money to stay away will want to stay away. And IMO they should stay put as long as possible, since they're already there.

But I also remember CT and RI being all "stay the fuck out" back when NYC was blowing up.

It's certainly not a war zone, or whatever the DoJ wants to label it.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
There's a number of cities affected. There's also plenty of videos of police assaulting peaceful protesters and inciting violence, essentially rioting themselves.

So yeah, plenty of people who have money to stay away will want to stay away. And IMO they should stay put as long as possible, since they're already there.

But I also remember CT and RI being all "stay the fuck out" back when NYC was blowing up.

It's certainly not a war zone, or whatever the DoJ wants to label it.

Nah... it was Rhode Island that was stopping New Yorkers at the state border. Connecticut's beach house owners saw the dollar signs in their eyes, and opened up two months early even while the rest of the state businesses were closed. They were all booked up by early May, too!

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Nah... it was Rhode Island that was stopping New Yorkers at the state border. Connecticut's beach house owners saw the dollar signs in their eyes, and opened up two months early even while the rest of the state businesses were closed. They were all booked up by early May, too!

That's nice, all my coworkers sans one are from CT, and most are in the 203, all of them, even the R's, thought CT should be blocking NY residents from entry.

Overall tho, CT has fared better than NYC or Boston, so that's good.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

I never claimed there was no economic hardships in the city. There is plenty due to the pandemic. We are talking about right wing propaganda about anarchy and mobs and lawlessness everywhere - to the point now the doj is trying to withhold federal funding by labeling NYC an anarchist jurisdiction. It's garbage and evil. Even today one of the few remaining Trumphumping FB friends I have claims the cities have burned to the ground. Trashy useless idiots.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I never claimed there was no economic hardships in the city. There is plenty due to the pandemic. We are talking about right wing propaganda about anarchy and mobs and lawlessness everywhere - to the point now the doj is trying to withhold federal funding by labeling NYC an anarchist jurisdiction. It's garbage and evil.

Outright lies are their jam now, nobody should be surprised. It's just a constant feed of bullshit, and millions of Americans eat it right up.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Vic

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

I watch him, and he's in no hurry to leave NYC though. Pandemics are bad for cities and tourist spots. What I don't get is why Republicans are working so hard to convince urban coastal liberals to move to rural areas or Republican states. Even if a small percentage of them do, that could flip a lot of districts and states. It's the concentration of liberals in a few urban areas that keeps GOP in power with a minority of the vote.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Outright lies are their jam now, nobody should be surprised. It's just a constant feed of bullshit, and millions of Americans eat it right up.

Correct. Barr's intent is obvious. It is as Hanna Arendt offered-

The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the convinced Communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist.

Trumpsters in a nutshell. Their rally attendance proves it entirely.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Muse

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

It's NYC.
Terrorist Attacks
Floods (Hurricane Sandy)
Protests
NYC don't give a shit.

Those videos are already becoming outdated.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It's NYC.
Terrorist Attacks
Floods (Hurricane Sandy)
Protests
NYC don't give a shit.

Those videos are already becoming outdated.

Oh good the XBL is coming back.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

This is the case in city's across the country. I don't know anyone who's in business that can afford a six month shutdown. Lots of those small businesses will never reopen.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
This is the case in city's across the country. I don't know anyone who's in business that can afford a six month shutdown. Lots of those small businesses will never reopen.

Hard truth about small businesses in major cities.
Commercial real estate in major cities tends to honor the "Nature abhors a vacuum" rule.
In cities with lots of immigrants, a store front can change hands on a yearly basis. When a city has a rich, diverse labor pool a major event such as this translates to a hiccup.
As for small business's around here, majority never shut down. They adapted and the good ones that had a customer base that supported them.
Some businesses on the other hand walked into the pandemic on shaky ground.
All the SBO I know have been swamped with work.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They adapted and the good ones that had a customer base that supported them.

The latter part of this is why so many more businesses will fail in Manhattan than any other part of the city due to the crisis. The people with means bolted in March and come back wondering why their favorite coffee/bagel/salad place went tits up then proclaim the city is dying.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
The latter part of this is why so many more businesses will fail in Manhattan than any other part of the city due to the crisis. The people with means bolted in March and come back wondering why their favorite coffee/bagel/salad place went tits up then proclaim the city is dying.

I haven't really approached the topic with my Manhattan circle of peeps.

When it comes to food, it seems like all they post about all the restaurants they've been eating at.

Reminder that I need to pick up a phone every once in awhile for non work related stuff

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Surely those that are worried about New York's escalating violent crime rates are terrified about Alaska's. I mean, Alaska's homicide rate has almost doubled since 2010, and is third highest in the nation.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Surely those that are worried about New York's escalating violent crime rates are terrified about Alaska's. I mean, Alaska's homicide rate has almost doubled since 2010, and is third highest in the nation.

Hold on,
Let me check Alaska's demographics and then run it past the concern-ifier tool
1280-human-panatone-nuancier-12.jpg

The year to date chart is fun
chart.jpg

5044c5f530d6eca35c3b4b89f8141ba4.gif

It’s important to keep the rise in historical perspective. Murder in New York was up 25 percent compared with last year as of June 14, but that total was the same one the city had in 2015. Murder is up 22 percent in Chicago, but it’s down 6 percent from where it was at this time in 2017. Murder is up 42 percent in New Orleans, but a year ago murder was its lowest point there in almost half a century.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
You could just turn off Fox if they stopped reporting about it. There would be no other content.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'll be riding again this Sunday, weather permitting. This time on a date with a woman I met on the group rides that I asked out. This time will also be 30 something miles but mostly in Manhattan. While we will stick to the waterfront greenways we will be cutting into the Upper West Side and Upper East side as well to document any of the devastation there and will post what I see. Maybe I'll pass the hotel where the mayor housed some of the homeless on the UWS that caused an uproar amongst some nimby's.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'll be riding again this Sunday, weather permitting. This time on a date with a woman I met on the group rides that I asked out. This time will also be 30 something miles but mostly in Manhattan. While we will stick to the waterfront greenways we will be cutting into the Upper West Side and Upper East side as well to document any of the devastation there and will post what I see. Maybe I'll pass the hotel where the mayor housed some of the homeless on the UWS that caused an uproar amongst some nimby's.

I'm enjoying your thread and pictures, and I'm a little jelly bro. Those pictures are awesome, the days have been beautiful. By far, August into September are my favorite months