My journey seeking to document dystopian NYC

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I wasn’t referring to the rural areas but the Nimby suburban zones just outside the urban cores, although for NYC, those suburban zones keep creeping and expanding up the Hudson River.

It's unsustainable. The jobs are in the cities. The pandemic may increase WFH but that is still up in the air how permanent that will be and for how many.

From what I am reading online, residential rents in NYC are starting to correct themselves in some neighborhoods, but some buildings can only do so much - they are financed by banks so they won't let those buildings lower rents too much. I am reading folks who say they are seeing deals in Manhattan to circumvent this, sign a year lease and get 3 months free seems to be the most common. Others are reporting significant drops in rent in their buildings in a FB group I'm in. Some say they are seeing small drops. Some neighborhoods I read are staying the same, like Park Slope for example. Some of those units in certain neighborhoods like that are so desirable that when a family decides to relocate to the suburbs and give it up, they are snatched up at no reduction.

Who knows what will happen. So many factors at play. The suburban zoning laws are unsustainable if the jobs stay in NYC and people don't want to commute too far. Something has to give. Best case scenario is prices adjust overall and when the jobs come back, so will the people. I don't think Wall Street is just going to move out of NYC to Kansas at this point.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hey, I was born in Manhattan, in Washington Heights. Visited a few years ago, staying with cousin who long-time-lives in rent controlled apartment in Manhattan (he's SIP in his Poughkeepsie house for the time being, though). Walked all over Manhattan, well, much of it.

Yeah, they beat back the bug, not a plethora of anti-antifas in NYC, me thinks. Plenty of dopes elsewhere in this land, though. Hopefully sanity will prevail.

Thanks for the little magazine article here, @MrSquished !

Last edited:

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
It's unsustainable. The jobs are in the cities. The pandemic may increase WFH but that is still up in the air how permanent that will be and for how many.

From what I am reading online, residential rents in NYC are starting to correct themselves in some neighborhoods, but some buildings can only do so much - they are financed by banks so they won't let those buildings lower rents too much. I am reading folks who say they are seeing deals in Manhattan to circumvent this, sign a year lease and get 3 months free seems to be the most common. Others are reporting significant drops in rent in their buildings in a FB group I'm in. Some say they are seeing small drops. Some neighborhoods I read are staying the same, like Park Slope for example. Some of those units in certain neighborhoods like that are so desirable that when a family decides to relocate to the suburbs and give it up, they are snatched up at no reduction.

Who knows what will happen. So many factors at play. The suburban zoning laws are unsustainable if the jobs stay in NYC and people don't want to commute too far. Something has to give. Best case scenario is prices adjust overall and when the jobs come back, so will the people. I don't think Wall Street is just going to move out of NYC to Kansas at this point.

My sister just got an awesome deal on an apartment in a historic building downtown.
It was only 100 bucks more than her current place in Washington Heights.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
My sister just got an awesome deal on an apartment in a historic building downtown.
It was only 100 bucks more than her current place in Washington Heights.

Looks like I called it then;)

So what’s the problem? Less rich people means less demand, less demand should mean lower prices for things such as housing. Sounds like a good thing to me.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yesterday I rode thirtysomething miles from downtown Manhattan to Coney Island and back using two different routes, so we saw a variety of areas. Lost count of how many different neighborhoods we went through. I took less photos and just enjoyed the views and socializing with people in the group, but my camera was ready in case we ran into anarchy, Antifa mobs, BLM thugs, swarms of rats and festering piles of garbage. I was definitely going to take pics of that. Instead I saw a city enjoying the waning days of summer all over the place - jazz bands and drum bands in the parks, fishermen fishing, families walking, kids playing, riders and runners everywhere, outdoor diners galore, a bride and groom on the Brooklyn Bridge, etc...

The only destruction I saw was two overflowing trash cans on MacDougal street in the Village near Washington Square Park where I stopped to eat after the ride. Golly gee. Then I read in the news today that the DOJ has decreed NYC an anarchist jurisdiction so they can attempt to take federal funds away from the city - the city that donates the most federal funds that the shithole red states then take and use. This administration and anyone who supports it are filth.

Fotor_160064399260338.jpgFotor_160064402514087.jpgFotor_160064396246778.jpgFotor_160064410930667.jpg

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yesterday I rode thirtysomething miles from downtown Manhattan to Coney Island and back using two different routes, so we saw a variety of areas. Lost count of how many different neighborhoods we went through. I took less photos and just enjoyed the views and socializing with people in the group, but my camera was ready in case we ran into anarchy, Antifa mobs, BLM thugs, swarms of rats and festering piles of garbage. I was definitely going to take pics of that. Instead I saw a city enjoying the waning days of summer all over the place - jazz bands and drum bands in the parks, fishermen fishing, families walking, kids playing, riders and runners everywhere, outdoor diners galore, a bride and groom on the Brooklyn Bridge, etc...

The only destruction I saw was two overflowing trash cans on MacDougal street in the Village near Washington Square Park where I stopped to eat after the ride. Golly gee. Then I read in the news today that the DOJ has decreed NYC an anarchist jurisdiction so they can attempt to take federal funds away from the city - the city that donates the most federal funds that the shithole red states then take and use. This administration and anyone who supports it are filth.

View attachment 30286View attachment 30287View attachment 30288View attachment 30289

Beautiful day for a ride

• Love
Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 29, 2006

Wow. So many Antifa. I dont think i saw a single non-Antifa in any of your pics. Such a dystopian city.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
What the ever living F

• Wow

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
One of things I missed this summer was my lunchtime walk to Washington Square Park.
Did they finally finish construction on 4th by NYU?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The supreme irony is that pulling federal funding from municipalities who are already facing huge shortfalls could in fact defund the police as services are cut. Cops and their overtime especially are big ticket items.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The supreme irony is that pulling federal funding from municipalities who are already facing huge shortfalls could in fact defund the police as services are cut. Cops and their overtime especially are big ticket items.
I don't think this will make it through the courts but it just shows how vile Trump and Barr are

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What the ever living F
William barr is what's left over after the rats eat the garbage.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
They don’t care about that. I suspect the very clear message they are trying to send to NYC and NYS is ‘stop investigating Trump immediately’. No joke, if they canceled the grand jury subpoenas tomorrow I bet Trump would withdraw this. In the end though it will be overturned by the courts.

Wonder where all those 10th amendment conservatives got to these days.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Re: doomed NYC

Commercial districts outside Manhattan recovering. NYC is a lot more than tourists and midtown office workers though it's a big chunk of the economy.

Makes sense to me, my neighborhood has actually turned into a big street fair with outdoor dining and all sorts of other stuff, it’s more fun now than it was before.

I think this could have a number of long term good effects for NYC, creating more outdoor bars and restaurants, eliminating a big swath of street parking, and converting streets into pedestrian areas.

• Love

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016

View attachment 30286View attachment 30287View attachment 30288View attachment 30289

WOW, that looks like such a shithole. How are you able to ride with all that violence raging around you?

Off topic: as a bike rider did you happen to watch the Tour de France? It was amazing this year, I saw shit that I have never seen before, truly amazing race this year. Very strange without a lot of the fans.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Makes sense to me, my neighborhood has actually turned into a big street fair with outdoor dining and all sorts of other stuff, it’s more fun now than it was before.

I think this could have a number of long term good effects for NYC, creating more outdoor bars and restaurants, eliminating a big swath of street parking, and converting streets into pedestrian areas.

Yeah pre-covid there was a lot of resistance to non car uses for streets/parking. In the before times it was "We can't be like Europe because grandma has to visit the dry cleaners/pharmacy/hospital and absolutely must street park right outside" which has somewhat shifted to "Holy Shit this is great we can be like Europe".

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah pre-covid there was a lot of resistance to non car uses for streets/parking. In the before times it was "We can't be like Europe because grandma has to visit the dry cleaners/pharmacy/hospital and absolutely must street park right outside" which has somewhat shifted to "Holy Shit this is great we can be like Europe".
Yes, there needs to be a fundamental realignment where we stop prioritizing the convenience of a few, very loud individuals and start doing what’s right for the city.

Ban cars from lots more streets. Eliminate street parking in Manhattan for the most part. Cut out like half the bus stops. NYC is already great but with a few common sense reforms could be so much better.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
One of things I missed this summer was my lunchtime walk to Washington Square Park.
Did they finally finish construction on 4th by NYU?

I did walk through Washington Square Park thinking it would be a breeding ground for Antifa mobs but saw nothing but artists selling their wares and people enjoying their evening. I only crossed 4th street briefly to get to MacDougal but don't remember any construction down there

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
What the ever living F

This just furthers my argument that secession may be the only answer in this divided country. Red America will only get extreme joy from moves like this. I don't want to be associated with them any longer, it's a stain on our existence.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yes, there needs to be a fundamental realignment where we stop prioritizing the convenience of a few, very loud individuals and start doing what’s right for the city.

Ban cars from lots more streets. Eliminate street parking in Manhattan for the most part. Cut out like half the bus stops. NYC is already great but with a few common sense reforms could be so much better.

Agreed. As a recreational bicyclist who lives in urban NJ but rides in NYC often enough, I follow some of the transportation activists on social media. While I think they can be too extreme, the car in many cases is just taking up too much space and causing too much mess in the city and needs to be tempered. For a few rides when I saw traffic and rode past it I would count how many cars had just 1 person in them, and it was most of them. Taking up all that space, polluting, etc... Hopefully out of this mess that is Covid something good comes of these street closures and conversion of parking spaces.

Maybe if blue metropolitan areas didn't have to subsidize regressive red rural areas we could invest all that money in more mass transit initiatives, projects, and bike infrastructure. Lessen reliance on cars. Instead all this time we've been subsidizing them and most of us were just going about our business, and they are attacking our way of life via Trump. Fuck them. Take the dollars back, they can keep the racism.