My journey seeking to document dystopian NYC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I believe the two parties living in alternative realities has been well documented.
Though I am glad the work to... understand... it, continues.
You are one of my absolute favorite posters because I think you really do straddle the culture war in a way no one else here does.

That being said I don’t think the polarization is symmetric.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You are one of my absolute favorite posters because I think you really do straddle the culture war in a way no one else here does.

My own view is that I am so aware of the alternate realities that conservatives and liberals live in, and that all important asymmetry, that it is way past appropriate at this time to try to straddle them. The asymmetry is, in my opinion, so extreme on the right as to represent a physical danger to the nation. My opinion is that the violations of reality on the right are so dangerous that a war response is what is appropriate. The right is now so dangerous, again in my opinion, it needs to be crushed rather than accommodated. The order of business I see is that this crushing be done as a matter of conscious dispassionate effort rather than done out of violence and fear, which is the real danger the left must face. There is a difference between tough love that is actually love and revenge and retribution. The right can't help itself because it is deeply blind to its own sickness. It has risen to the level of criminal behavior. The solution I see is first rendering the right impotent and then applying therapy, but in that order.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
At the risk of ending up in a "both sides" debate it must be recognized that the divergence is highly asymmetrical.
No shit, Sherlock. Alternate facts aren't facts at all. Even when the truth is beating them up the side of the head they can't recognize it. I mean, Trump isn't concerned about covid at his rallies because-

"I'm on a stage and it's very far away," Trump told the Review Journal. "And so I'm not at all concerned."

How can they not see that he only cares about himself?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Well thanks.

Though i will say I never said it was symmetric. Though, it is perfectly natural for both sides to see the other as crazy. But hey, you do have science and economic theory largely in your corner. So there is that....

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Well thanks.

Though i will say I never said it was symmetric. Though, it is perfectly natural for both sides to see the other as crazy. But hey, you do have science and economic theory largely in your corner. So there is that....

Please. Conservatives are being blown off their feet by the firehose of falsehood technique. When their minds are boggled then truthiness can better prevail.

Nov 8, 2012
Millennials are fleeing their urban utopias for suburban living, and you will see a shift in tax spending accordingly. A decade from now we’ll be having the same conversation about underfunded mass transit, failing inner city schools and the need for police reform.
Ahhh the truth is just a fairy tale. We don't need to explain reality to them....

All will be well to continue to pay for their bloated government... Even after everyone leaves for the surrounding cities/counties... Right? RIGHT?!

Nov 8, 2012
While this is a true statement, it isn't a true reason for NYC's housing crunch. That's more due to the recalcitrant NIMBYism that severely inhibits new construction for ::insert arbitrary reasons::.
B-b-b-but liberals love surrounding themselves with more people!

#Diversity #GenderQuotas #RacialQuatos #HelpThePoor #SystemicRacism #WhiteGuilt #DoAsIDoNotAsISay

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Ahhh the truth is just a fairy tale. We don't need to explain reality to them....

All will be well to continue to pay for their bloated government... Even after everyone leaves for the surrounding cities/counties... Right? RIGHT?!
The cities have been subsidizing less dense areas for decades. Upstate NY had even talked about seceding from downstate NY, the problem is they forgot to check the math. Those more dense downstate areas, especially NYC, have been subsidizing upstate NY significantly.

I think the urban areas should ask for their money back. Then they should do the seceding.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
The cities have been subsidizing less dense areas for decades. Upstate NY had even talked about seceding from downstate NY, the problem is they forgot to check the math. Those more dense downstate areas, especially NYC, have been subsidizing upstate NY significantly.

I think the urban areas should ask for their money back. Then they should do the seceding.
I wasn’t referring to the rural areas but the Nimby suburban zones just outside the urban cores, although for NYC, those suburban zones keep creeping and expanding up the Hudson River.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Sorry, I was talking specifically about Los Angeles. The Rodney King riots were the lighting of a powder keg resulting from a few preceding years of a crack epidemic, increasing gang violence, unemployment and socio economic disparity.

NY went through something a bit different a decade earlier with the Bernie Goetz incident.

We’re witnessing the same now. The current social unrest is due to a pandemic exasperating and exposing the socio economic disparity and segregation found in many American cities.

But the OP is correct. The gentrified Nimby urban citadels of knowledge worker affluence are largely unaffected by most of it.

Regardless of how you choose to characterize it, or what causes you ascribe to it, you have failed at having any sense of proportionality or scale. No matter what the murder rate was this summer in this city or that city, you'll find 20+ years out of the past 30 where it was worse. So "social unrest" is kind of a relative term.

As to "gentrified Nimby urban citadels" there is always some disconnect between those who live in higher versus lower income areas of cities. Yet as someone else already said, any resident of said cities inevitably knows a lot more about what is and isn't going on there than you or Mr. Trump do.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Burglary and robbery is down but violent assaults and homicides are on the rise. The city recorded over 200 shootings for the month of August compared to 90 last year.

You’re not going to find hellscape in the gentrified adult playgrounds along the water and main squares. The upper east side and parts of Brooklyn are currently witnessing a very deadly summer.

maps.nyc.gov/crime/
That damn Joe Biden, causing all this violence

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Is there not a tangible difference between some increase in certain crimes and this?

View attachment 29838

View attachment 29839

Fox News is in NYC, Tucker Carlson lives in DC, and Rupert Murdoch lives in Los Angeles. The propagandists of the right are in no hurry to move out of "liberal sh!tholes" to their beloved Red America.
Maybe there is something they aren't showing you about their right wing utopias, like large swaths of dying Republican towns that no longer have the population density (or political sense to expand Medicaid) in order to sustain a hospital (yet hate outsiders coming in), and have such despair and hopelessness that they can be quickly depopulated with a strategically placed bag of Fentanyl.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Fox News is in NYC, Tucker Carlson lives in DC, and Rupert Murdoch lives in Los Angeles. The propagandists of the right are in no hurry to move out of "liberal sh!tholes" to their beloved Red America.
Maybe there is something they aren't showing you about their right wing utopias, like large swaths of dying Republican towns that no longer have the population density (or political sense to expand Medicaid) in order to sustain a hospital (yet hate outsiders coming in), and have such despair and hopelessness that they can be quickly depopulated with a strategically placed bag of Fentanyl.

Or they live in conservative enclaves like parts of Long Island (Hannity, Pirro, etc) that wouldn't exist without orbiting the most important city in the hemisphere which they constantly deride. It's a scam on gullible Americans to make themselves richer and more influential.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Or they live in conservative enclaves like parts of Long Island (Hannity, Pirro, etc) that wouldn't exist without orbiting the most important city in the hemisphere which they constantly deride. It's a scam on gullible Americans to make themselves richer and more influential.

Yep, and hijacked amygdala's eat it right up.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

In favor of that great social experiment called Kansas? You crack everyone up

• Love
Feb 4, 2009
Yep, and hijacked amygdala's eat it right up.

The obvious reply is “what about the jobs, do you not like people working”
I believe I’ve read NYC employs more people than the entire State of Georgia or something.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Actually the stats show that crime isn’t related to economic conditions. During the Great Depression crime didn’t rise nor did if during the Great Recession.

Fair point, although in both the LA riots and current pandemic scenarios, economic disparity was certainly a factor that contributed to the underlying tension.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Roughly 90% of America is in favor of it.

Similar to America wanting government provided healthcare but for some reason their party seems to ignore their voters ;)

Then why does any republican ever get enough votes to win any election, anywhere? If that is what 90% actually wants, then they sure as shit aren't voting that way.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I signed up for a ride to Coney Island on Sunday, weather permitting. Hopefully no more devastation will be discovered.