My journey seeking to document dystopian NYC

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I've been reading various comments on social media from the Trumphumpers about how the big cities in America are destroyed (the word destroyed has come up a lot) due to BLM, ANTIFA, liberal thugs and the Democrats in general. I've even heard the term dystopian used in regards to NYC. So last time I rode in the city was May and saw nothing of the sort, I decided to head in again yesterday to capture what's happened since then and before it was totally toast. I wore my usual dark gray clothes and black helmet, hoping to blend in with the Antifa armies so they would just ignore me. Lo and behold when I got on the PATH train from Hoboken, NJ to Manhattan, there were all these other people traveling solo in the car, including loads of single girls - dressed totally normally. Didn't they know the hellscape they were going into? I was astounded.

I got into the city and I did see a lot of people out and about, acting like nothing was wrong. Biking, walking, kids in carriages. At least they were moving and more evasive targets. It was all the dummies outdoor dining that was really questionable. Didn't these stupid liberals know they were literal sitting targets? Anyways, I did 25 miles in the city, from the Village in Manhattan over the Manhattan Bridge into Brooklyn, then met up with a group and rode into Queens, to Roosevelt Island, then back to Queens, and then took the Ferry to Manhattan, rode to midtown and to the PATH stop back home. Here are some images I took. I made sure to take vistas to try to see the smoke from the flickering embers of all the burning buildings, but alas saw nothing. There were flea markets, people walking their dogs alone - little dogs, not dogs that could fight off a frothing Black Lives Matter criminal, little kids on scooters. Even an opera singer entertaining some folks at a restaurant's outdoor seating. A fat opera singer. She couldn't run fast if Jacob Blake's family tried to jump her!

Everyone else in the group I rode in lives in either Brooklyn or Queens, nobody mentioned their neighborhoods were hellscapes either. So here ya go:

Fotor_160005749839188.jpgFotor_160005783574395.jpgFotor_160005929834151.jpgFotor_160005778769383.jpgFotor_160005764005191.jpgFotor_160005746096538.jpgFotor_16000577143223.jpgFotor_160005754008293.jpgFotor_16000576760754.jpgFotor_160005774004777.jpg

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I mean, at least Portland is looking the part now.

Attachments

• portland.jpeg
    portland.jpeg
    584.2 KB · Views: 64

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
My dad asked me the other day if defunding the police (which isn't really what happened) has caused riots and out of control violence here in Austin.

Like I'm walking through a city park I saw a discarded soda can on the ground next to a trash can so I guess it's essentially mayhem here.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Burglary and robbery is down but violent assaults and homicides are on the rise. The city recorded over 200 shootings for the month of August compared to 90 last year.

You’re not going to find hellscape in the gentrified adult playgrounds along the water and main squares. The upper east side and parts of Brooklyn are currently witnessing a very deadly summer.

maps.nyc.gov/crime/

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Burglary and robbery is down but violent assaults and homicides are on the rise. The city recorded over 200 shootings for the month of August compared to 90 last year.

You’re not going to find hellscape in the gentrified adult playgrounds along the water and main squares. The upper east side and parts of Brooklyn are currently witnessing a very deadly summer.

maps.nyc.gov/crime/

Maybe read the OP. He rode all over the city and is reporting back. And yep, gun violence is up, but those freedom loving libtards keep on keepin' on!

It would be nice if the sexual assault numbers meant it really is declining, and not that it's just going unreported more often. Not really any way to verify it yet.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

maps.nyc.gov/crime/

Is there not a tangible difference between some increase in certain crimes and this?

Unknown-1.jpeg

images.jpeg

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Is there not a tangible difference between some increase in certain crimes and this?

View attachment 29838

View attachment 29839

No, Starbuck doesn't care about that. Only that he can point to a single metric and say "SEE"

Also, you can visit other cities websites and see a trend as well. Here's Phoenix, they're in PDF form. There's no 3rd quarter metrics yet, but the first 6 months is an increase in crime from 2019 to 2020

Where's conservatives outrage?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

maps.nyc.gov/crime/

I didn't say crime wasn't up in some categories. I know shootings are up. I was going off of right winger statements that the cities are essentially destroyed, collapsed, and all the way to the point of being dystopian.

Rode through the 84th, 88th, 90th, 94th precincts as well as some others, plus was in the Manhattan South Precinct after dark. Will be doing a ride through Brooklyn in a couple weeks, most likely to Coney Island then back a different route. This weekend is a backpacking trip otherwise I'd be back in the city again.

The cities should revolt. Their tax dollars have been subsidizing many parts of the suburban and rural lifestyles and that was fine, we were after all, the United States of America. But Trump is governing blue cities vs red rural areas, blue states vs red states. Let's go that route. Fuck the more rural and more out there suburban areas. Let's keep our money in the blue cities and blue states and spend them towards services there to improve quality of life issues. Mass transit, better trained cops, mental healthcare facilities, etc...

Nov 29, 2006
I didn't say crime wasn't up in some categories. I know shootings are up. I was going off of right winger statements that the cities are essentially destroyed, collapsed, and all the way to the point of being dystopian.

Rode through the 84th, 88th, 90th, 94th precincts as well as some others, plus was in the Manhattan South Precinct after dark. Will be doing a ride through Brooklyn in a couple weeks, most likely to Coney Island then back a different route. This weekend is a backpacking trip otherwise I'd be back in the city again.

The cities should revolt. Their tax dollars have been subsidizing many parts of the suburban and rural lifestyles and that was fine, we were after all, the United States of America. But Trump is governing blue cities vs red rural areas, blue states vs red states. Let's go that route. Fuck the more rural and more out there suburban areas. Let's keep our money in the blue cities and blue states and spend them towards services there to improve quality of life issues. Mass transit, better trained cops, mental healthcare facilities, etc...

Plus this idea would tie in with conservative talking about about boot straps. They will figure it out without evil blue money....

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

maps.nyc.gov/crime/

He won't find a hellscape in other parts of NYC either.
Throughout the 21st century, the common theme of NYC is that its a hilariously safe city to live in.
I have friends and family throughout NYC, from the gentrified parts to the parts that out of tourists find threatening because "minorities lived there."
I also remember NYC back when it was shady going back to the far 80's.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/do...ata/seven-major-felony-offenses-2000-2019.pdf
So thats from 2000-2019.

So if you want to paint specific areas of NYC as a hellish landscape, you'll need to expand your comparison to compare 2020 per month data stretching back to 20 years.

Factoring the COVID related issues of unemployment impacting crime rates easily explains 2020 summertime increases but if you are going to condemn the city as scary you'll need to do better with your data.

If in prior years, NYC was being praised for low crime rates and painted as a safe city. If you are going to highlight 2020 monthly data as tool to paint a picture, then you should be more thorough.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

maps.nyc.gov/crime/

Violent crime is much lower in NYC than it was 30 years ago. It's lower there than in a lot of places.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

Millennials are fleeing their urban utopias for suburban living, and you will see a shift in tax spending accordingly. A decade from now we’ll be having the same conversation about underfunded mass transit, failing inner city schools and the need for police reform.

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Violent crime is much lower in NYC than it was 30 years ago. It's lower there than in a lot of places.

Yes, NYC truly was dystopian in the late 70s and much of the 80s. While there has been an overarching downward trend, the recent spike is certainly alarming. Police presence certainly played a role in that downward trend.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Millennials are fleeing their urban utopias for suburban living, and you will see a shift in tax spending accordingly. A decade from now we’ll be having the same conversation about underfunded mass transit, failing inner city schools and the need for police reform.
Are they though? All the demographic data suggests that cities are growing faster than ever and the urban/rural divide is larger than it's ever been.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Are they though? All the demographic data suggests that cities are growing faster than ever and the urban/rural divide is larger than it's ever been.

Also, Millennials were largely buried in debt and relying on family to make ends meet. The pandemic isn't helping. Between stagnant wages, lost income, it may be a while before they tackle that "American Dream" their grandparents were handed.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

In NYC, there is always going to be a narrative of "X people are fleeing because reasons".
Its been going on for so long, one has to wonder why real estate is at such a premium and that there always seems to be "x people" here.

As for the fleeing to suburbs narrative...
Welcome to 1836

NYC does have constraints due "land" that keeps its population in check.
There is only so much real estate to build housing.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

That shift is really quite small & follows the path of every preceding generation. It's also diversionary from the perception deliberately cultivated among rural & exurban conservatives that cities are unliveable hellscapes. It's simply not true.