Discussion My job search.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Hello folks here,

I have graduated in 2020 with a Master's in Cybersecurity. I have not been hired yet. I have gone thru interviews as I have stated in the forums, without any luck. In the time of this almost 2 year unemployment span, I have took part in a one month externiship, have done some programming projects, studied into Spunk, learned C++, and many other things. I am currently looking into learning Docker. I really would love to go deeper into what other productive things I have been doing in this time period.

If you have any positions that are remote, or in New York City (if on-site work is required), please PM me. I really want a job and am very very worried and paranoid about my future.

I really want to also thank all of you here to being kind and help me cope with the hard time I am currently going thru.

Thank you.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Post in this sticky thread too , good luck.

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Bah... why didn't you post this a year ago? I had an opening in my cybersecurity department back then. :(

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Bah... why didn't you post this a year ago? I had an opening in my cybersecurity department back then. :(
I did.
and again
and again (somewhat)
and again (once again somewhat)
and again (should I say once again somewhat again)

Do you still have any positions?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I did.
and again
and again (somewhat)
and again (once again somewhat)
and again (should I say once again somewhat again)

Do you still have any positions?
Unfortunately, no.

This is the first time I noticed that you were looking for a job. I'd ask why you didn't put something in the unemployed/looking for work thread, but then it really needs a cleanup. A lot of the stuff in there is almost a decade old!

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Unfortunately, no.

This is the first time I noticed that you were looking for a job. I'd ask why you didn't put something in the unemployed/looking for work thread, but then it really needs a cleanup. A lot of the stuff in there is almost a decade old!
I agree, I should have done that. :(

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
So, are you looking for IT help desk job, or for a job in cyber security? Cyber would probably pay better, and they're more in demand.

I mean, something like this would bring in a nice sum of money:

https://www.indeed.com/company/Silv...ec7ccb3498882129?fccid=0d21bf1c248a2619&vjs=3
I just applied for that position that you linked, but I have a gut feeling I might not get that position for the following reasons based of what they want me to bring. The Job position you posted was for a Junior, not entry level position. The following is a quoted portion from the job description, that I have added my comments to here.
"
What You Will Bring

• A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Cyber Security, or related field or two plus years of work experience in information security. ✅ <-- have masters
  • Experience in implementing network principles <--- Sort of.
  • Experience with IT environments and network equipment management. <-- Sort of for the first part, as in VirtualBox VMs, I have little knowledge when it comes to working with Cisco routers.
  • Experience in maintaining Windows servers and their security configurations ❌ I have never worked with windows servers, although I only know security configurations in regular Windows computers.
  • Experience with installing and maintaining security platforms and network equipment such as Firewalls <-- Some what as in I only know IPFire when it comes to major providers. , Routers❌, Anti-malware agents <-- Only general public ones, nor the big datacenter ones, no hand on experience on those yet. , security logging/tracing <--Simple generic OS ones like windows event viewer, or linux log files, but not the big end security ones. I have very little experience when it comes to working with software like SNORT .
  • Experience in handling ❌ and identifying exploitation techniques. Identifying by a general catagory based of what they do, yes, exact type or name of exploit then no.
  • Understanding of common end-user attack vectors for credential theft, malware delivery, wire fraud, etc.✅
  • Experience with common diagnostic tools like NMAP✅, procmon✅, CMD, etc.
  • Strong analytical and trouble-shooting skills
  • Strong organizational and prioritization skills
  • Strong general IT knowledge✅
  • Excellent oral and written communication skills
  • Knowledge of Microsoft windows operating environments✅
  • Knowledge of Active Directory❌Don't know Active Directory at all. and windows permissions ✅ <---But not group policies
  • Knowledge of common vulnerabilities and exploitation techniques✅
  • Familiarity with scripting in PowerShell and/or Python <-- I am only confident in Java and C++ right now. Barely anything in Python.

Bonus Points For

• Master Degree in Cyber Security or Computer Science is a plus.✅
  • Knowledge of cloud❌ platforms like Azure, GCP, and AWS <---Don't know cloud. :(
  • Knowledge of VMWare Hypervisor operating environments❌ <---Mostly know Virtual box when it comes to VMs.
  • Knowledge of Palo Alto❌, Cisco <---As stated before, little knowledge when it comes to Cisco routers. , Aruba❌
  • Familiarity with Linux✅

"

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Well..... this does make me feel better. Got this from indeed as an email.

Complete your application process for X2Logicsstaffing​
You’ve already completed the tests that X2Logicsstaffing requested—all you have to do now is share your results.
Review and share​

2 tests

Technical support
  • Performing common software-related operations
  • Configuring basic hardware components
  • Understanding and improving network topologies
Score: Proficient
Technical support: Customer situations
  • Responding to technical support situations
Score: Familiar

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Active Directory isn't hard to learn. Just set up a Windows server VM and play with it.

Palo Alto is harder to learn. That said, it's a junior position and their laundry list of requirements for the job aren't reasonable. They'll never find them all in their salary range. In this job market, half of them is probably enough to get you in the door.

Reactions: Amol S.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Active Directory isn't hard to learn. Just set up a Windows server VM and play with it.

Palo Alto is harder to learn. That said, it's a junior position and their laundry list of requirements for the job aren't reasonable. They'll never find them all in their salary range. In this job market, half of them is probably enough to get you in the door.
I saw an awsome post today! (Referncing your signature). It was your post I quoted. Thank you :) .

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Don't give up in your job searches. Good luck! Once you get some job, the next one will be easier to find. You may even have head hunters coming after you. That's what happened to me and it was a fantastic change and felt so good.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
If I based my hiring decisions in your postings here...I wouldn't hire you to clean toilets.

• Wow
Reactions: pcgeek11

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
If I based my hiring decisions in your postings here...I wouldn't hire you to clean toilets.

Yeah, I wouldn't mention your Anandtech username during an interview if I was Amol. Your post history in the P&N forum is kinda scary :)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
No, I have to wonder about your fitness to clean toilets after that remark. That was absurd and completely uncalled for!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
No, I have to wonder about your fitness to clean toilets after that remark. That was absurd and completely uncalled for!

I'm NOT fit to clean toilets...but the guy is a total fucking moron who posts some of the stupidest shit. There are (maybe) a couple who post things that are more stupid...but not by much.
Too many people equate educational degrees with intelligence or "smartness." Despite his "master's" degree...he seems to have neither.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm NOT fit to clean toilets...but the guy is a total fucking moron who posts some of the stupidest shit. There are (maybe) a couple who post things that are more stupid...but not by much.
Too many people equate educational degrees with intelligence or "smartness." Despite his "master's" degree...he seems to have neither.
Even if true that doesn't make him unemployable. At least he wants a job. Lighten up.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I just applied for that position that you linked, but I have a gut feeling I might not get that position for the following reasons based of what they want me to bring. The Job position you posted was for a Junior, not entry level position. The following is a quoted portion from the job description, that I have added my comments to here.
"
What You Will Bring

• A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Cyber Security, or related field or two plus years of work experience in information security. ✅ <-- have masters
  • Experience in implementing network principles <--- Sort of.
  • Experience with IT environments and network equipment management. <-- Sort of for the first part, as in VirtualBox VMs, I have little knowledge when it comes to working with Cisco routers.
  • Experience in maintaining Windows servers and their security configurations ❌ I have never worked with windows servers, although I only know security configurations in regular Windows computers.
  • Experience with installing and maintaining security platforms and network equipment such as Firewalls <-- Some what as in I only know IPFire when it comes to major providers. , Routers❌, Anti-malware agents <-- Only general public ones, nor the big datacenter ones, no hand on experience on those yet. , security logging/tracing <--Simple generic OS ones like windows event viewer, or linux log files, but not the big end security ones. I have very little experience when it comes to working with software like SNORT .
  • Experience in handling ❌ and identifying exploitation techniques. Identifying by a general catagory based of what they do, yes, exact type or name of exploit then no.
  • Understanding of common end-user attack vectors for credential theft, malware delivery, wire fraud, etc.✅
  • Experience with common diagnostic tools like NMAP✅, procmon✅, CMD, etc.
  • Strong analytical and trouble-shooting skills
  • Strong organizational and prioritization skills
  • Strong general IT knowledge✅
  • Excellent oral and written communication skills
  • Knowledge of Microsoft windows operating environments✅
  • Knowledge of Active Directory❌Don't know Active Directory at all. and windows permissions ✅ <---But not group policies
  • Knowledge of common vulnerabilities and exploitation techniques✅
  • Familiarity with scripting in PowerShell and/or Python <-- I am only confident in Java and C++ right now. Barely anything in Python.

Bonus Points For

• Master Degree in Cyber Security or Computer Science is a plus.✅
  • Knowledge of cloud❌ platforms like Azure, GCP, and AWS <---Don't know cloud. :(
  • Knowledge of VMWare Hypervisor operating environments❌ <---Mostly know Virtual box when it comes to VMs.
  • Knowledge of Palo Alto❌, Cisco <---As stated before, little knowledge when it comes to Cisco routers. , Aruba❌
  • Familiarity with Linux✅

"
Anything not currently on your CV:
Ill figure it out.
I am a quick learner.
How hard can it be.
Not a problem.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Dude a lot of people have job skills but are less functional at other parts of life. I mean some people are brilliant at tech but couldn't get a social skill to save their life. Others might be real good at one job but they are so ignorant of reality and politics they believe in Q-Anon. The reality is that personality types span the gamut, and does not mean that person is not employable or can not do well at their craft.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Dude a lot of people have job skills but are less functional at other parts of life. I mean some people are brilliant at tech but couldn't get a social skill to save their life. Others might be real good at one job but they are so ignorant of reality and politics they believe in Q-Anon. The reality is that personality types span the gamut, and does not mean that person is not employable or can not do well at their craft.
Thank you @MrSquished . :)

Reactions: Muse