My impressions of the 2990WX after building and using it.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Indeed, preview was a poor choice of words. Given that I got my current system up and running in much the same way, I can say that Windows 7, at least, gets pretty cranky pretty early on. I think I didn't have a completely working system prior to buying a key and doing a proper install. What I meant was that I haven't lived with the restrictions of WLS, had only a vague idea of what they were, and I was curious what drove you towards dual boot. The Phoronix article about scaling might be the deciding factor for me, but as I'll mostly be doing I/O & compiling vs video work in Linux, it's not the total deal sealer. Hence my curiosity.
I think I said it somewhere, but the reason for win 10 is Ryzen master, and other tools to look at heat, temps, etc are not available in Linux(at least Ryzen master for sure) So I have to use that to OC, get it stable and work out problems. THEN, I install Linux for my working setup.

Reactions: Drazick and dnavas
Nov 26, 2005
Really sorry to have read that you have Cancer. I was briefing the thread and read what you use these monster computers for and I was like, that's really awesome, then I read your situation :(

Good Luck, and I hope you heal from things quickly

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Linux mint 19, win 10 pro latest build for windows.
How do you like the latest linux mint? Also, do you know how well it works with the proprietary AMD and Nvidia graphics drivers? I mainly use linux for mining/compute, though I also like it to be user friendly and I appreciate good features and a clean GUI.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
How do you like the latest linux mint? Also, do you know how well it works with the proprietary AMD and Nvidia graphics drivers? I mainly use linux for mining/compute, though I also like it to be user friendly and I appreciate good features and a clean GUI.
Since I just use it for DC, I don't know really, its fine. The graphics drivers work fine for F@H.

Reactions: Drazick

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

While I haven't tried the latest version, Mint is Ubuntu based so it should have great support for the AMD and Nvidia drivers.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So, I have had it up and running and stable, at 4 ghz for a while, but 3.7 all day every day. But nobody wants any custom benchmarks, that the web sites have not done, and its like crickets talking about it. Does no one have any interest in the new monster ?

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
So, I have had it up and running and stable, at 4 ghz for a while, but 3.7 all day every day. But nobody wants any custom benchmarks, that the web sites have not done, and its like crickets talking about it. Does no one have any interest in the new monster ?

In my case, it's the 2950X I'm interested in, as I need the single-threaded top-speed for some operations, but I'm definitely reading the 2990WX stuff and living vicariously....

Reactions: lightmanek

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Do you have any way to test inter-CCX latency? If you do, could you try pulling half of your DIMMs and then doing inter-CCX latency testing a different memory speeds? I'm curious to see if the latency gets any better at speeds above DDR4-3200.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005

I think very few of members of the forum are interested because that processor is definitely a niche of a niche product. I like hearing about it because I can use that many cores for DCing. Many of the people around here don't do that, however, there are a few that use that many cores for encoding, etc.

Another reason few are interested is cost. It's just too expensive for most and it certainly isn't meant to be a gaming chip. I'd be interested in how it does at multicore DCing in projects that could use all 32 cores on a single WU. Maybe cosmology or LHC 1.0.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Do you have any way to test inter-CCX latency? If you do, could you try pulling half of your DIMMs and then doing inter-CCX latency testing a different memory speeds? I'm curious to see if the latency gets any better at speeds above DDR4-3200.
Well, first, I am only up to 3066 on the memory speed. Also, I would not know how to do that test you mention. Sorry, I would if I could.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Any reason you didn't go with esxi or hyper v and host mint and win10?

Last edited:

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Well, first, I am only up to 3066 on the memory speed. Also, I would not know how to do that test you mention. Sorry, I would if I could.
How does it compare to all your other DC rigs? Twice as fast as 2 1950X's for example?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
How does it compare to all your other DC rigs? Twice as fast as 2 1950X's for example?
Well, hard to say, this is is OC'ed and they are all stock, but basically, yes same as 2 1950x's

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Not sure what "esci or hyper v" is. As for OS, I have dual boot Win 10 and Linux mint 19
Esxi and hyper-v are virtual machine hosts.
You run that then create as many virtual machines as you want to host. So mint is one and win 10 is another. They run concurrently on top of esxi or hyper-v

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Esxi and hyper-v are virtual machine hosts.
You run that then create as many virtual machines as you want to host. So mint is one and win 10 is another. They run concurrently on top of esxi or hyper-v
Ahh. No need. BOINC will keep all 64 threads busy, and CPU is at 100%. I have No need to complicate it.

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
But nobody wants any custom benchmarks, that the web sites have not done, […]. Does no one have any interest in the new monster ?

I'd be interested to know how well C++ compilation scales. As a contributor to the open-source OWLNext project, I recently rewrote our build tool OWLMaker, to allow asynchronous and parallel compilation. I found that compilation scaled very well on my Ryzen 1700, but it was easy to saturate memory and thrash the system by starting too many builds in parallel (I only have 8 GB on my system). If you want to test with the OWLNext code base, see the project site for installation instructions (you'll also need build tools, e.g. the free Visual Studio 2017 Community edition).

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I'd be interested to know how well C++ compilation scales. As a contributor to the open-source OWLNext project, I recently rewrote our build tool OWLMaker, to allow asynchronous and parallel compilation. I found that compilation scaled very well on my Ryzen 1700, but it was easy to saturate memory and thrash the system by starting too many builds in parallel (I only have 8 GB on my system). If you want to test with the OWLNext code base, see the project site for installation instructions (you'll also need build tools, e.g. the free Visual Studio 2017 Community edition).
Does it have all the things required for a benchmark ? I would need code. Is this linux ?

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
Does it have all the things required for a benchmark ? I would need code. Is this linux ?

OWLNext is a C++ application framework for Windows. By installing the OWLNext code, per instructions on the project site, as well as Visual Studio 2017 Community edition, you should have all that is needed to build.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
In my experience Linux seems to do a better job with high core count builds, and much better when using numa-like CPUs such as Threadripper.

Mark, I’m very curious how your Linux experience has been so far. Have you tried any virtualization workloads? I’m keen to jump back over to AMD should the IOMMU weirdness be mostly solved.
I am tempted to just go all out and do an EPYC build since my Cosmos II can handle XL-ATX/SSI EEB/SSI CEB motherboards but I’m being quite cautious this time around.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OWLNext is a C++ application framework for Windows. By installing the OWLNext code, per instructions on the project site, as well as Visual Studio 2017 Community edition, you should have all that is needed to build.
OK< I downloaded OWL and installed it, and Visual Studio. I started reading the instructions, and frankly, its a little beyond me. Any way to simplify what I need to do to benchmark ?