My Horrible Return Experience with Newegg

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 10, 2005
Have you considered seeing if your credit card has some form of return protection to help you get back that restocking fee?

It also sounds like you just ran up against the restocking fee that is part of their return policy for returns of non-defective items: https://www.newegg.com/promotions/nepro/20-2902/index.html
Restocking Fees

Returns are subject to restocking fees of 15%-30% of the purchase price. Newegg may assess the restocking fee against the customer's account or deduct the fee from the refund amount on all returns, subject to the Return Policy and any product-specific policy. Newegg reserves the right to adjust the value of any item returned for refund to reflect its current market price, in which case the restocking fee will be applied after this adjustment.

Newegg does not charge for restocking fees for returns of defective products, or if you received the wrong product, products damaged during shipment, or if the product did not match what was shown on the Site, provided the item is returned within its return policy period, and in accordance with the Return Policy.

In the event a product is returned that is not defective or an incorrect product or where the product does match what was shown on the Site, the product will either be returned to the customer or the return shipping cost initially covered by Newegg will instead be deducted from the refund amount along with any necessary restocking fee that may apply.

Reactions: Captante

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
yeah, as a devout "China Hater," it pisses me off beyond words that anything I want to buy that is electronics-related will be Made in China.
My Motherboard: Made in Vietnam
My HDD: Product of Thailand
Monitor: Made in Mexico
XXXX: Made in India
File Cab: Made in Canada

Seems the fabs are starting to move out of China....

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Yeah the restocking fee is bs but it's plainly laid out in their return policy. I signed up for newegg premier for a month just to avoid it when I returned a monitor.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Returning an item just because you no longer want it, regardless of weather you've opened or not costs Newegg money PLUS they disclose it ahead of time. Hard to see the problem.

Note that for anything returned defective there is no restocking fee.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Newegg is basically Aliexpress now and is China owned. It's no longer a computer part retailer but just another marketplace. I would avoid it personally.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I stopped shopping there probably 10 years ago when they tried to charge me a restocking fee on a defective monitor.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
So if Newegg is owned by the Chinese and I avoid Amazon when possible, where else has a large selection of computer components? TigerDirect I presume still sucks. Basically, what's a non-Chinese owned Newegg? Is there one?

• Haha

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Newegg is basically Aliexpress now and is China owned. It's no longer a computer part retailer but just another marketplace. I would avoid it personally.

Not sure what you guys are doing wrong but during 2020 for example I placed 44 different orders without a single issue.... as opposed to MULTIPLE problems with Amazon in a couple fewer orders.

I stopped shopping there probably 10 years ago when they tried to charge me a restocking fee on a defective monitor.

I returned several items defective to Newegg last year including a full-tower PC case that was damaged and 22 inch monitor.

No fee for either one... also 10 years ago Newegg CS was mostly a non-issue.

Last edited:

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
So if Newegg is owned by the Chinese and I avoid Amazon when possible, where else has a large selection of computer components? TigerDirect I presume still sucks. Basically, what's a non-Chinese owned Newegg? Is there one?

BestBuy.com (pretty fast shipping)
bhphotovideo.com (may try them next)

Reactions: Sukhoi