My Horrible Accident: If you have animals, please read this and learn something from my mistakes *pics*

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ness1469
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH
Dalmations are very skittish dogs...if you have small kids don't get a dalmation.

this has already been discussed and is mostly false, unless they are inbred, in which case you are correct

They are, however, very big attention whores :)

bullseye :)

Originally posted by: Tiles2Tech
Wow ... a very amazing story. I'm glad that you are OK - and the surgeon feels that there will be no scarring.

thanks and yeah i hope he is right :) :beer:

Palek

Jun 20, 2001
This page, Introduction to Canine mental health seems to be a good place to find out about how to look after your dog and notice possible mental problems.

Small dogs >> big dogs.
While most people tend to naturally come to that conclusion, larger dogs are actually generally much more docile. I did a little checking and was quite surprised to find that even the rottweiler, typically presented in films as a vicious guard dog, is a very peaceful animal. Quoting from a page at the website in the above link:
Behavior/temperament
Good natured, placid in basic disposition and fond of children, very devoted, obedient, biddable and eager to work. His appearance is natural and rustic, his behavior self assured, steady and fearless. He reacts to his surroundings with great alertness.
Apparently, even dobermans happen to be mostly well-tempered.

Here's a quote about dalmatians and deafness:
To meet the sudden demand for spotted puppies, backyard breeders and puppy mills started churning out puppies without doing health checks, or often, even basic health care. As a result, a sad decline in the breed has been seen, more and more deaf Dalmatians are cropping up and more are being turned into shelters. (Link)

PS. Almost forgot! Here's hoping for a fast and complete recovery, MrDudeman!

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Classic dalmation behavior.

Psychotic fear biters.

I read somewhere that most dog bites were from Dalmations. Who would have thunk it?
I will get a Rottweiller when I have a place for him to roam around.

The pics don't look that bad, have any of the dog?

Who would have thunk it? Someone who didn't know what they were thinking? ;)

The Centers for Disease Control study dog bite incidents, including the types of dogs most likely to bite. The breeds that the CDC considers highest risk are pit bulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Doberman pinschers, chows, Great Danes, St. Bernards and Akitas

Lethal

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
Originally posted by: LethalWolfe
Originally posted by: LordJezo
Are not dalimations known to be the meanest dogs there are? I remember seeing a tv report on it and dalmations were rated to be one of the most dangerous dogs to own.

With that, I will stick to my tiny yorkshire terrier. If that thing ever tried to bite me I could throw it across the room.

Small dogs >> big dogs.

The reason you hear about violent dalmations is after 101 Dalmations came out everybody wanted one and the breed became incredibly inbred as people tried to cash in by cranking out Dalmations. So you ended up w/alot of mentally unstable, violent dogs. That isn't a fault of the breed but of come money hungry @ssholes. If you inbreed any animal enough you'll get psychos on your hands.

If you buy a non-inbred Dalmation from a good breeder you'll be no better/worse off than w/any other dog.

Lethal

Of course a breeder would register the puppies with the AKC, a little piece of paper makes the dogs much more valuable... that doesn't mean the breeder is a good breeder though... Some breeders are little more than puppy mills... Nonetheless, you've already got a dog, so I doubt you're looking for a breeder. I'd forgive the dog the first time... the 2nd time, it'd be gone.

yeah i have heard all of that and i suppose it is pretty accurate. i got my dog before 101 dalmations though, so there ;) the guy we got it from was a breeder and we made sure all of his dogs were registered through AKC and they werent inbreed.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ergeorge
Originally posted by: rahvin
All dog training books explicitly state that you should NEVER tollerate aggresive behavior towards you or any other person from a dog.

Never tolerate growling. This is a threat and it means your dog sees you as a subordinate meant to be dominated by him. Tell him No! Let him know it is not acceptable to EVER growl at you or your children. Make it clear that your children are the offspring of his Alpha leader (you) and that they are to be treated as Alpha "pups."

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/topdog.htm

Your acceptance of the initial growling set the precedence for the future behavior.

A friend who is big into dogssaid something similar to this. We have a large dog (dobie/lab mix, about 130 lbs) that at one point decided his position in the pecking order was somewhere between me and my wife (who weighs in around 110). He was growling at her, other threatening behavior. He suggested we settle it the way they would in a pack ... the alpha male (me) makes the dog submit, and thenhave my wife assert dominance over him.

Translated: I knocked my dog on his ass ... not violently, but none to gently. Rolled him over on his back, and had my wife come over and sit on his chest. That ended it right there, and he never gave another problem with her.

Yep, our dog (80 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback mix) exhibited some aggressive, possessive behavior with a rawhide chew when I tried to take it away from her, and I did NOT stand for that at all. I grabbed her none too gently, put her on the floor, and sprawled on top of her with my hand on her snout, holding her mouth shut. She struggled but then finally gave in, and I quietly explained the pecking order to her. After that (and she wasn't hurt at all, except for her ego), she's never done anything like that again.

She's a big wimp anyway for which I am thankful. Her jaws are powerful, and her teeth are knife sharp -- I wouldn't want her to be vicious in any way because it would be ugly. Her biggest problem is that she's overly friendly and loves people, and she thinks she's a small lap dog.

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Dogs live more than ten years - I would say some 12-15, so your dog is not so old.
About his behaviour - could it be somehow sick, or something like that? I don't know.
I hope for the best, for both you and your dog. Quick recovery to you

Calin

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I had 3 dalmations when I was younger they have all died now (old age) All of them were pretty nice dogs untill they got older. Then they would NOT like to be woken up. They never hurt anyone but they sure could put out a mean sounding growl.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Calin
Dogs live more than ten years - I would say some 12-15, so your dog is not so old.
About his behaviour - could it be somehow sick, or something like that? I don't know.
I hope for the best, for both you and your dog. Quick recovery to you

Calin

a lot of dalamations have a shorter lifespan, however. they rarely hit 15 years, even the pure breed dogs. their expected lifespan is 10-12, so 7 is not exactly young at this point.

and to all the people saying dalmations are stupid...you need to do some reading. they are some of the more intelligent dogs. have any of your dogs exhibited intelligent behavior such as knowing exactly which door or window to run do depending on which sound the alarm makes (without me training him to do so)? he randomly does things that amaze me. things i thought only a human could do...my dog figures out how to do it. he now knows how to open doors, but not the ones with a handle sticking out; i mean the normal ones where you have to grab and turn. he cant figure out how to unlock it, but he can get in the room if its unlocked. i know he is stupid compared to some dogs, like a collie (arent they really smart?) but dalmations are above average intelligence...definitely not stupid.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I could swear you look familiar and then I saw you live in Plano Texas. Do you happen to work in Fort Worth?

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: JBT
I had 3 dalmations when I was younger they have all died now (old age) All of them were pretty nice dogs untill they got older. Then they would NOT like to be woken up. They never hurt anyone but they sure could put out a mean sounding growl.

sounds about how its going right now