Question My hdd is giving me troubles. Heavily fragmented and very slow in general.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Free Billy

Mar 2, 2020
Hi!

One of my external hard drives is heavily fragmented (about 65%) and is just super slow in general. I presume it may be very fragmented because I used it for torrenting. But... I thought Windows automatically does the defragmenting. And I checked too and it is set to do it automatically. But for some reason it doesn't do anything to this particular hard drive. I have tried defragmenting at least some individual files (since I don't have much space for a proper full defragmentation), but it won't let me do it. What can I do about this situation?

Thanks!

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Ok fine, I will /PARK my tangeant, and await the OP to come back with news haha. (Psst, Atari 400 and cartridges, built in basic though, I could program games from magazines, but had no way to save them after the hours of agonizing coding on a mylar 'keyboard' that I'm both nostalgic for, and never want to use again).

:)

Reactions: Insert_Nickname