My hard disk is not being detected anywhere. HELP !

ahmadka

Sep 6, 2005
Well I seem to have run into a problem here....

My Hard disk is not being detected anymore in my system, not even in the BIOS...

I was trying overclocking, and I was trying to figure out the MAX FSB speed for my motherboard....

At 275 mhz, I was able to boot into windows xp, and ran prime 95 for 10 minutes, getting no errors...

At 280, I was not able to boot windows, so I started descreasing the fsb from the BIOS, one unit at a time...

When I was at 278mhz, the system didnt detect any connected hard disks...I checked in the BIOS...even the BIOS is not detecting the hard disk anymore...

I have tried restoring all values to the default ones, even tried the 'Load Optimized Defaults' option, by still the hard disk refuses to be detected....

I tried disconnecting it from the SATA 1, and connecting it to SATA 3, but that didnt help either...

For those wondering, I did NOT mess with the 'PCI eXpress Frequency' option...I left it at the default 100mhz...

HELP !! :(

ahmadka

Sep 6, 2005
OK well, the problem is still not solved, but a slight indication that the hard disk itself might still be OK....

In addition to the SATA1,SATA2,SATA3,SATA4 on my board, there are also an additional SATA5,SATA6,SATA7,SATA8 on the board, provided from the Marvell chip...

I tried connecting the the SATA to one of these (I think SATA 7), and rebooted. The system still didnt load windows, but there was one change...

When the system was booting, I saw the hard disk's name/model name/capacity appear on the monitor for a split second...only appears for a *slight* moment, but its there...

I made a video of it, which shows what I am talking about...

The video has been uploaded here: http://mihd.net/4936og (click on the 'Request Download Link' in the top left corner, then click on 'Download File' in the top right corner on the next page)

Here is a frame from the video, also showing the good stuff:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7588/hdbo0.jpg

So what could be the problem ?

Have the SATA connections 1~4 been permanently damaged ?!

ahmadka

Sep 6, 2005
Problem FIXED !! :D:D

MyHard drive is working again, in SATA 1 like before !!

I reset the jumper, and removed the battery for a few minutes, and it fixed the problem....

Its another problem now that Vista thinks my copy is not genuine :p

But what was the cause ? Why did this happen ? I need to know, because if I go OCing again, I wud need to know what went wrong here...

swing848

Nov 11, 2007
Quote: "But what was the cause ? Why did this happen ? I need to know, because if I go OCing again, I wud need to know what went wrong here..."

You overclocked the system too much. If this happens again simply reset the CMOS as you did this time.

ahmadka

Sep 6, 2005
But as far as I know, the only way to know that you have overclocked the FSB too much, is when either of the following (or both) happens:

1) You cannot boot into Windows
2) You get errors in a CPU stress program...

Neither of the above two are applicable here...So there is obviously some 3rd factor, which I seemed to have crossed then ...

So now how do I *really* test if my FSB is *really* stable ? What I mean is, say for example, I overclock the FSB to 270mhz, at which I am able to boot into windows, and I dont get any errors....So I conclude that the FSB is stable at 270mhz.....Everything works fine for a few days...then one day, the hard disk again goes down!......

How do I prevent these things from happening again when I overclock the FSB ? I see no way of determining if my FSB is *actually* stable at a given number or not....

I hope you understand what I mean :)

ahmadka

Sep 6, 2005
As far as I know, the only way to ensure that the PCI bus was locked, is that the 'PCI eXpress Frequency' is set to 100mhz, which it was in my case...I didnt mess with this setting......

Maybe there is some other setting that I need to do to ensure the PCI bus is locked....which I am not aware of...

I have seen some people set their 'PCI eXpress Frequency' to 101 mhz...dont know why ...:p