My GTX 780ti was throttling!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
base clock is 876. and again all he has to do is raise the power and temp target together. that will allow it to go up to 106% of power and 95C. it will not get to 95C unless he has a complete piece of crap for a case and lives in an attic with no ac in very hot climate.

NVM

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
base clock is 876. and again all he has to do is raise the power and temp target together. that will allow it to go up to 106% of power and 95C. it will not get to 95C unless he has a complete piece of crap for a case and lives in an attic with no ac in very hot climate.

This.

The card is working fine, OP. Just follow the instructions above and enjoy your games (not just benchmarks!).

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
If I set the prioirty from Power Target to Temperature Target in Precision X then it throttled below the base clock about 2 minutes during running Heaven 4.0. It clocked down to 863MHz in Heaven 4.0 when I used that setting in Precision X. and the base clock is 876 MHz for that card, and temps were 82C. Is it normal for it to throttle below base clock when running Heaven 4.0 if I used that setting in Precision X?

SlickR12345

Jan 9, 2010
www.clubvalenciacf.com
Dave why don't you just set a custom fan profile or manually up the fan speed to 100% when running a benchmark?

The reference card will throttle at times, especially if you have a bad case design or live in a humid environment.

Feb 19, 2009
According to Toms, they found reference 780s needed 80% fan speed to prevent throttling in prolonged games and benchmarks.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
my 780 is oced a little but fan is left on auto. I stay pegged at 1124 the whole time in heaven bench with a max of 73C. I avoided the reference cooler on purpose.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Well I'm RMA'ing my card to the store for store credit. I also had an electrical whine sound to it when running 3Dmark 11 in certain scenes, and quiet whine while running Heaven 4.0 but louder in the credits in the end, and some game menus when v-sync is disabled. My GTX 680 has the same kind whine as well but it's quieter and almost don't hear it during running Heaven 4.0 depending on the frame rate but can hear it in the credits but quieter than the GTX 780ti that I'm returning. I might use the store credit for a GTX 780ti SC ACX or the reference SC version but someone here said that I might have poor airflow in my case and I read the cards with the ACX cooler require good airflow. I have a CM 690 II Advanced case with 1 140 mm intake and 1 120 mm rear exhaust. I remove the top exhaust fan because of ticking sounds and don't use a side panel intake fan because of vibration sounds.

Feb 19, 2009
If your case has poor airflow, do not ever put in a high powered card with open air cooling. Recipe for disaster.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
If you buy an open air cooler like the SC ACX, you'll need at least an additional 140mm intake fan for your case. No way will you handle the amount of heat pouring off of it with your current setup.

Honestly, the card you had was the right one for your setup, and as far as I can tell, there was nothing wrong with it. The stock fan profile isn't intended to allow maximum boost in benchmarks. You changed the temp targets, but not the fan speed, so you really didn't address the main problem, which is that your fan was running too slow. If you actually tried increasing the fan speed and you still weren't above 876MHz, then you'd know that you had a problem with your card.

And coil whine is normal in most menus and other high-fps scenarios.

From what you said above, it seems like you're very sensitive to noise, including fan noise. I would recommend that rather than get a fire-breathing GTX 780 Ti, you try something like the Asus GTX 780 DC2. It will be much quieter, is a better value, and will get you nearly the same performance.

Last edited:

felang

Feb 17, 2007
I love it when people get an answer to their questions/problems and then ignore them and do something completely unnecessary

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Is big kepler that particular when it comes to throttling? I was completely unaware of this and usually buy reference cards myself. The vanilla 680 I have does not throttle even with auto fan.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
Your card seems to be working within specs OP.

I would create a custom fan profile and make sure you have plenty of ventilation on your case.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Is big kepler that particular when it comes to throttling? I was completely unaware of this and usually buy reference cards myself. The vanilla 680 I have does not throttle even with auto fan.
wrong as the 680 had gpu boost 1.0 and would throttle at 70 C which the auto fan could not maintain on reference cooler.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com

It's not that it throttles more often, it's that the range is much wider, mostly because the power use and temps are much, much higher on GK110.

wrong as the 680 had gpu boost 1.0 and would throttle at 70 C which the auto fan could not maintain on reference cooler.

This is correct. Ever since the 670/680, it's been critical for users to get acquainted with fan controls to get the most out of their cards. With those cards, you wanted to set a fan to keep them at 69C or under - this eliminated throttling. With 780/Ti, the limit is 79/83, obviously way higher, because the cards run so much hotter and needed a higher throttle point. That does not mean they don't also need custom fan control to stay under those limits.

Feb 19, 2009

I had a reference 670, it would throttle on auto fan and temps got to 82C. Ofc, that was only during summer time here. The auto fan got up to around 70% to maintain that temp. Wasn't that quiet at those fan speeds.

Was fine after this:

NTo5phK.jpg

Turbo boost means reviews you read are the best case scenarios, typically 21C ambient, open case or bench top or a case with very good ventilation.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Technically you're right, I mean it will throttle 13 increments 1 to 2 times and then stop. What I'm referring to is it doesn't take a nose dive back to the base clocks after reaching this temp threshold. I was hitting a temp of 82/83 and was holding a 1280mhz(game boost clock)

Feb 19, 2009
Technically you're right, I mean it will throttle 13 increments 1 to 2 times and then stop. What I'm referring to is it doesn't take a nose dive back to the base clocks after reaching this temp threshold. I was hitting a temp of 82/83 and was holding a 1280mhz(game boost clock)

Are you saying your reference 680 at stock settings boost and hold 1280mhz in games on auto fan?

If so, that's probably the few samples blessed by JHH himself with his manly sweat.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Not stock settings, I'm saying it will hold this with an over clock on auto fan.

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Yesterday I received my PNY GTX 780ti. I was running Heaven 4.0 at the default benchmark settings at 1920x1080, and the GPU for the first 1 minute into the benchmark runs at 993 Mhz then throttles. It can go as low as 876 MHz (base clock) but not often during this benchmark and most of the time during this benchmark it hovers between 901 MHz to 967 MHz. Also the GPU temperature around 2 minutes into running Heaven 4.0 hits 83 C. Also I think I should be getting around 5% better performance than I am right now with this card from the reviews I seen. For example one review shows 66 fps in Valley benchmark for the 780ti and I get 63 fps with the same benchmark settings in Valley. Is my card throttling too much? Is my GPU reaching 83 C to quickly? Is it normal for the reference cooled and clocked 780ti to throttle all the way down to it's base clock during the Heaven benchmark?

This is typical for the reference cooler.

Rubbish card. My 780 Ti GHz from Gigabyte hits 1215MHz consistently in game (or slightly higher) and stays there, even with a big fat factory overclock. Temps from what I recall hover around 70 celsius in a HAF XM case.

You don't have a reference cooler. Not the same thing.

^^^This^^^

This chart is from Hardware.fr. The uber in the charts is set up like Toyota recommended. They also set the fan to 65%.
GK110_boost.png

780tiVS290X.png

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Well I'm RMA'ing my card to the store for store credit. I also had an electrical whine sound to it when running 3Dmark 11 in certain scenes, and quiet whine while running Heaven 4.0 but louder in the credits in the end, and some game menus when v-sync is disabled. My GTX 680 has the same kind whine as well but it's quieter and almost don't hear it during running Heaven 4.0 depending on the frame rate but can hear it in the credits but quieter than the GTX 780ti that I'm returning. I might use the store credit for a GTX 780ti SC ACX or the reference SC version but someone here said that I might have poor airflow in my case and I read the cards with the ACX cooler require good airflow. I have a CM 690 II Advanced case with 1 140 mm intake and 1 120 mm rear exhaust. I remove the top exhaust fan because of ticking sounds and don't use a side panel intake fan because of vibration sounds.

Coil whine is completely normal when the card is displaying very high FPS (like text with no vsync).

One thing I have not seen you mention is what case you have? Does it have adequate cooling?

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Coil whine is completely normal when the card is displaying very high FPS (like text with no vsync).

One thing I have not seen you mention is what case you have? Does it have adequate cooling?

He mentioned that he has a CM 690 Advanced, which has pretty good potential, but he's only running a 140mm front fan and a 120mm rear fan. In a case that large, I doubt that's providing enough airflow for the GPU.

SlickR12345

Jan 9, 2010
www.clubvalenciacf.com
He mentioned that he has a CM 690 Advanced, which has pretty good potential, but he's only running a 140mm front fan and a 120mm rear fan. In a case that large, I doubt that's providing enough airflow for the GPU.

That would actually be okay, but I think he wrote that he disabled both of them due to noise. He has has two fans that he isn't using.

I actually suggest big fans to people sensitive to noise, since they have much lower rpm and thus lower noise, though people instinctively think huge noise and huge power consumption when they see a big fan, even though the reverse is true. Bigger fans can spin a lot slower and achieve same or better results than smaller, but faster spinning fans.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

Ahh I missed that. All depends on the CFM of those fans, but it is unlikely that its high enough for that size case.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Does PNY's factory-overclocked version of GTX 780ti exhaust air outside the case? I've been thinking about either using my store credit for that one if it does exhaust the air out of the case. If not I might go for the EVGA GTX 780ti SC with the reference cooler.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
Does PNY's factory-overclocked version of GTX 780ti exhaust air outside the case? I've been thinking about either using my store credit for that one if it does exhaust the air out of the case. If not I might go for the EVGA GTX 780ti SC with the reference cooler.

Have fun RMAing every card you get, because you just RMA'd the card with the cooler best suited for your bad case cooling.

Not sure why you're asking more questions either, as you haven't read a single answer people have given in the last 2 threads.