Question my gpu cought on fire pictures attached

luke99899

Apr 28, 2021
Hi everyone, well xfx 580 has caught fire tonight. it had shut down on me a few weeks ago, i thought it over heating, so i ordered some new fans and checked the cooling gel, everything looked good, so i installed it, and booted up. on boot up i saw flames and the pc shut down. the flames were not aimed at anything vital. and i quickly put them out, i put my back up card back in and computers fine, i reopened my gpu and can see were the fire started! i wondering if you all could give me some advice, I'm pretty handy and able to fix things and learn to fix new things really fast. is this card savable thanks all.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    811.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 159
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    997.3 KB · Views: 148

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I wouldn't try to save it, but if there is warranty left, I would contact XFX asap and see if they can help. They may or may not decline for physical damage, but then if you weren't doing anything bad to the card, and this happened anyway, they might be able to help you.

No guarantees, but XFX is one of the major GPU partners that used to work with AMD/ATI and Nvidia, (now just AMD) and they had some pretty generous warranties and good service in the past. (Anyone remember those double lifetime warranties?) I think they are American based too.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
2 months ago it would be, but now the market is so messed up, cards are impossible to find , minute i can get my hands on a 3060 i will though.

A 3 GB 1060 might be easy to get since it's generally useless for a lot of mining. A 3060 on the other hand isn't going to see reasonable prices until the crypto market has another crash.

If almost wonder if you could sell that card as is for a decent amount if it's out of warranty. Polaris cards (at least the 8 GB ones) were one of the more popular mining cards in the last boom. Even if you can't fix it, someone else who can would value it a lot more, particularly if they have a lot of other cards like it and could salvage some of the pets from it or even do the same to another card to restore this one.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Man that sucks. Having a GPU fail is everyone's worst nightmare right now because GPU replacements don't exist. As mentioned above, look for a 3GB 1060 on ebay. Might be your best bet. Maybe XFX will replace the card since it could have literally burnt your house down.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Man I feel for you. This is exactly my nightmare scenario, and my fallback card would mean falling way back (7950 for my desktop or the 1050 in my laptop).

As an alternative to the 1060 3gb is going further back to the 980ti. Maxwell sucks for mining, still has 6gb of Vram, higher performance than your 580, and a price that isn't great given the card's age but isn't soul crushing either (~$200).

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
On the plus side at least you got a cool story and your house didn't burn down.
Ha! That's funny. "A cool story".

I've been working with micro-computers since 1983 -- circuit boards, ISA-EISA-PCI-PCIE cards, ATX motherboards, PSUs -- the whole range and gamut. I have never seen nor had this phenomenon of something catching fire.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have had caps blow and catch fire, and I have also seen a power supply blow and catch fire. First time I have seen a GPU blow and catch fire. Why in the world would you remove the heatsink (unless you had already voided the warranty)? I mean, seriously, you probably just cost yourself $800 by doing that.

Well, I just looked and realized you might be past the warranty date, but still, you might not have depending on how you purchased it (some credit cards add warranty to many items). I just can't believe that XFX has fallen so far as to only have a 3 year warranty (use to be lifetime and/or double-lifetime (i.e. transferable to one person)).

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I think all those lifetime warranties were not sustainable. All the companies that had them either stopped doing it or went out of business. It's like a liability on their books that never goes away, even the card fails 10 years later.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
If i had a gpu that failed me i would just buy a laptop with a 3070 and then sell it after gpu's came to stock, one of my sons plays with a 2080 laptop and the other a 1080ti just their style the one on the laptop likes the mobility even tho he usually games from the same spot :p they both play games amazingly to me and im tempted to sell the 1070 i have spare since its not going to ever be worth more than it is today (maybe yesterday it was worth more with bitcoins price drop? :p )

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
If i had a gpu that failed me i would just buy a laptop with a 3070 and then sell it after gpu's came to stock, one of my sons plays with a 2080 laptop and the other a 1080ti just their style the one on the laptop likes the mobility even tho he usually games from the same spot :p they both play games amazingly to me and im tempted to sell the 1070 i have spare since its not going to ever be worth more than it is today (maybe yesterday it was worth more with bitcoins price drop? :p )

- Need to be careful with laptops. GPUs end up throttling so badly that the price to performance curve on higher end laptops flattens way faster than on desktop computers.

I think the common wisdonis that the laptop sweetspot for the RTX 2 series was the 2060, and I have to imagine the sweetspot for the RTX 3 series is likely the 3060/3060Ti .

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It all depends on the laptop. On any of the thin ones that are mimicking the Apple MacBook thin style, yeah, you won't be able to use much more than a Nvidia XX60 before it throttles (but they will gladly sell you a XX70 or XX80 and rely on the automated throttling for the cooling).

What that means is that you need to look at the older school "Thick" (with at capital T) style desktop replacement laptops if you are going to have the cooling needed for real sustained 3D gaming.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
- Need to be careful with laptops. GPUs end up throttling so badly that the price to performance curve on higher end laptops flattens way faster than on desktop computers.

I think the common wisdonis that the laptop sweetspot for the RTX 2 series was the 2060, and I have to imagine the sweetspot for the RTX 3 series is likely the 3060/3060Ti .
the 2080 works fine in the 17" msi it resides in. there are tuning tools, laptop coolers etc. gpu shortage seems strange when so many laptops with gpu's are out there.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
is this card savable thanks all.

Luke, it's difficult to tell unless you have the board on hand. If only the burnt components are the damaged ones, then yes it's doable. But it's possible the burn goes through the board. Then you can partially salvage it but might only work with few power phases working(so no overclocks for example).

If the voltages hit the GPU then you are pretty much out of luck.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Man I feel for you. This is exactly my nightmare scenario, and my fallback card would mean falling way back (7950 for my desktop or the 1050 in my laptop).

As an alternative to the 1060 3gb is going further back to the 980ti. Maxwell sucks for mining, still has 6gb of Vram, higher performance than your 580, and a price that isn't great given the card's age but isn't soul crushing either (~$200).

GTX 980ti is like $400 right now? I guess I am not seeing them at $200… completed listings are shown at over $200 for parts only listings even….

Lol, not sure about three weeks ago when you posted 😂

Looks like it was better then but still north of $300 easily. Man.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
GTX 980ti is like $400 right now? I guess I am not seeing them at $200… completed listings are shown at over $200 for parts only listings even….

Lol, not sure about three weeks ago when you posted 😂

Looks like it was better then but still north of $300 easily. Man.

-Schroginger's deal I guess. The mere act of looking and posting destroyed it's superimposed state :p

I guess everyone else thought the same thing I did: lemme just keep going back a gen until I find something reasonably priced.

• Haha
Reactions: blckgrffn

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
the 2080 works fine in the 17" msi it resides in. there are tuning tools, laptop coolers etc. gpu shortage seems strange when so many laptops with gpu's are out there.

- Fair, meant what I said as a general rule. MSI generally does a good job building fatter "gaming" laptops, and the 17" form factor gives them more room for a decent thermal solution.

My statement is more of a truism when you're looking at the thin and light 15" form factor on down. Manufacturers tend to cram big numbers into a laptop that will never have a chance in hell of hitting those TDP targets.

If you're looking for a GPU, buying a laptop doesn't make a ton of sense. Still $800 bucks for a laptop with a 1660 and a bunch of stuff I don't need...