My game loading tests: Caviar vs Raptor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lurk3r

Oct 26, 2007
While I have not run the number I KNOW with absolutely no doubt that my raptor is 50-100% faster than the 250gb seagate and the 400Gb Caviar that have been in my system. I alt-F4 out of WOW all the time, and will beat my friends back in by up to 10s. OS boot time again, not even close. (74Gb raptor, I install the games that I really care about speed to the raptor).

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Hard drive technology has improved in the last few years, and in many reviews I see new 7200 drives performing on par or ahead of the Raptors. The Raptors may still pull ahead in situations like reading or writing 50 files at the same time, but in most single user applications the Raptors no longer have the edge they once did.

Anyway, nice benchmarks, they confirm what I saw in some other reviews, and I was also surprised initially at how much the 7.2k drives have improved recently.

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
Originally posted by: PingSpike
I always thought that raptors were about as big a waste of money as high performance RAM. If you're going for the bleeding edge, sure...but if you're on a budget you're better off putting your cash into the video card.

Might be a little different if your rigs primary performance application isn't games though! Games are really the only benchmarks I bother to look at, since pretty everything else has performed acceptably for me since my computers started having 512mb of ram and 1ghz+ cpus.

You've not RAR/UNRAR'd anything until you've done it on a Raptor 150. It's amazing.