My Galaxy SIII was great until it updated

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I got a Galaxy S3 as a free upgrade last year, shortly after the S4 came out. As my first Smart phone. I liked it, and adjusted to it easily.

Then came the update early this year. I was able to tell it no a couple times, then it finally just did it on it's own.

The most annoying thing about the update was texting. Any time I put in a word it didn't like, it would change it. If I changed it back before I finished the text, it would change it back as soon as I started typing again. I could only change it if I was done with the message, assuming I caught it of course. I turned off the feature, but didn't realize I was giving up word suggestions entirely.

Why in the world do they do that? Any way to get texting back to the way it was?

Also, whenever I remove an app it came with, because I don't want it, it just adds it back later? Not a big deal, but I wish it didn't do that as well.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
Are you talking about the 4.3 update? I don't like it at all on my note 2. I ended up installing the Google keyboard from the play store and it's so much better then the stock Samsung keyboard

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Are you talking about the 4.3 update? I don't like it at all on my note 2. I ended up installing the Google keyboard from the play store and it's so much better then the stock Samsung keyboard

Thanks. I'll look into that.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I didn't know people used the built in keyboard :p

Give Swiftkey a try while you're at it too. There's a lot of good options out there.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Cool, I am still getting used to it, obviously.

I was surprised though. The built in web browser runs way better/faster than firefox.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
When I first got my Note 2, I couldn't even type my email address in to register my Gmail account. The stupid Samsung keyboard would ALWAYS auto correct it to something else. I immediately wondered if I had made the correct choice in phones. Luckily, Android allows for alternate keyboards are there are a bunch of really good ones to choose from. I usually alternate between the Google keyboard and Swype depending on what my mood is like.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Weird, I actually prefer the Samsung keyboard over a lot of the other options. I can't stand Swiftkey. Google Keyboard is OK, but it lacks a number row.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Swype. Also, I haven't seen removed bloatware coming back unless you take an OTA update. Maybe you have auto-update on through Google Play for these apps or something?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Swype. Also, I haven't seen removed bloatware coming back unless you take an OTA update. Maybe you have auto-update on through Google Play for these apps or something?

Could be. If I have time tonight I will take a look. But it's only 1 and today is already wearing me out. As a certain cat in a certain movie said "I hate Mondays."

marcplante

Mar 17, 2005
There should also be a swype option built into the Samsungs. Google is a decent keyboard, but the original swype works better IMO