My friend with herpes.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: skace
Originally posted by: Dezign
By the way, cold sores aren't the same as canker sores.

Whats difference between cold sores and canker sores. I always thought those were the same.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000998.htm A canker sore is an open sore in the mouth, which appears as a painful white or yellow ulcer surrounded by a bright red area. A canker sore is benign (not harmful). See also herpes, which can also cause mouth sores.

3point14

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
Originally posted by: rbloedow

Whats difference between cold sores and canker sores. I always thought those were the same.

She wrong: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000998.htm A canker sore is an open sore in the mouth, which appears as a painful white or yellow ulcer surrounded by a bright red area. A canker sore is benign (not harmful). See also herpes, which can also cause mouth sores.

heh, I just found this

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Are canker sores caused by lots of sugar or salt or something like that? Or from not brushing frequently enough?

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Bear in mind, oral herpes can be transferred to genital herpes. 80%+ of the population have cold sores, and if they have an outbreak and go down on their significant other, their significant other may develop genital herpes.

uhhh no it cant,
you can get oral herpes (HSV1) on your genital, but it will not become genital herpes HSV2

HSV1= cold sores .... you'll have cold sores on your junk

I've had cold sores couple times before, but it hasnt happened in over 5 years. MAjoority of people od have herpes simplex 1 (oral herpes)

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Hardcore
Originally posted by: rbloedow
Originally posted by: Ranger X
80% is too high a percentage. That would mean 8 out of 10 would have it and out of all the people that I know, none of them have herpes.

Ever gotten a fever blister? Most people have a few throughout their lives.

I haven't. But then i'm clean.

same here. no herpes on my lips, or anywhere else.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
I get canker sores on the rare ocassion. It is always brought on by tissue injury in the mouth. Usually if I slip with my toothbrush and cut my gum or if I bite my lip accidentaly it will turn into a canker sore. Painful little buggers.

My mom gets cold sores every once and awhile. I nor any of my other family members ever does. She was always aware of the transmission and was careful.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: halik
Bear in mind, oral herpes can be transferred to genital herpes. 80%+ of the population have cold sores, and if they have an outbreak and go down on their significant other, their significant other may develop genital herpes.

uhhh no it cant,
you can get oral herpes (HSV1) on your genital, but it will not become genital herpes HSV2

I've had cold sores couple times before, but it hasnt happened in over 5 years. MAjoority of people od have herpes simplex 1 (oral herpes)
Oh really doctor? Well you might want to read this before you make your final prognosis.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Ilmater

uhhh no it cant,

Oh really doctor? Well you might want to read this before you make your final prognosis.

Even though it affects the genitals it is still the Type-1 virus which only shares 50% commonality with Type-2.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
there is no such thing as Genital HSV1, it must be HSV2 it mutates into HSV2.

my god a lot of people are ignorant, specially you hardcore.
i get cold sores, but damn, i KNOW ive never kissed a girl when she had one, and i KNOW i dont share drinks that often

for me, stress, and drastic weather changes bring them about.

MIKE

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Are canker sores caused by lots of sugar or salt or something like that? Or from not brushing frequently enough?

I think it depends on how your body reacts. I tend to get them whenever I start eating a lot of junk food and soda and not enough veggies or when I get a lot of stress.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
I had a friend that when HE found out he had it said the same thing. (About not spreading it around)

Then when he stopped getting laid, he changed to "Well if I give it to enough people, "they" will find a cure".
rolleye.gif

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1
there is no such thing as Genital HSV1, it must be HSV2 it mutates into HSV2.

my god a lot of people are ignorant, specially you hardcore.
i get cold sores, but damn, i KNOW ive never kissed a girl when she had one, and i KNOW i dont share drinks that often

for me, stress, and drastic weather changes bring them about.

MIKE

You're completely wrong. HSV-1 can affect the genitals as well as the mouth and throat. HSV-2 can do the same. HSV-1 can also be transfered oral-genital, oral-oral, and genital-genital. Same with HSV-2.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
"Could you tell Victor Mateland that the test results came back and that he has Herpes Simplex 10..."

"Maybe it would be best if you told him"

"Yes, that would be best..."

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: DrNoobie
Originally posted by: Ilmater

uhhh no it cant,

Even though it affects the genitals it is still the Type-1 virus which only shares 50% commonality with Type-2.
YOU ARE THE WINNER!!!! Yeah, I only know what I can find on the web.