My Friend was Hit and the aggresors pulled a knife out: what would you do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wolfdog

Aug 25, 2001
Walking away is the safest way out, but a swift kick to the jimmy would have also sufficed. That would definitely be something he would remember in the morking. ;)

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
no time to read so I'll just respond to the title:

ok, so you're posting to ask what you should do now that the aggresors pulled a knife? do you have a danger hiptop or something?

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: FacelessNobody
Be glad you're both alive and continue life, the very same life that was jeopardized, as usual. Forgive their idiocy.

best reply :)

-=bmacd=-

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
Reminds me of a similar event that happened to me.

I was heading towards a bar with my mates when I spotted another group of friends going in to the bar. I called out, "Oi!" to get their attention. As I got to the door, this skinhead and his friend started lipping me off. I told him to piss off and walked in. He followed and continued to hurl verbal abuse. I told him to ah heck off unless he wanted me to step on his throat. He disappeared.

Once we left the bar and rounded the corner we were confronted by the two skinheads and three more of their friends. One of them was considerably bigger than me and I'm 6'0", 180lbs. The big one gets in my face and starts accusing me of giving his friend a hard time. While he's in my face, two of them make their way behind me. Now I have three in front and two behind. My two friends, both bigger than me, stand on the curb watching, completely useless.

I knew the kick off was enivitable, so I threw the first punch. I grabbed the big guy's lower jaw and punched him square in the face. He reeled, I connected a few more times. He didn't see it coming. At this point I'm receiving shots to the back of my head. I took care of the big guy with an uppercut, but now I'm fighting two more. One of my friends was kind enough to occupy the other two, while my third friend watched.

I grab one of the skinheads and put him in a headlock and began to feed him the beats. It's just the two of us now. He's twisting and squirming and we scuffle towards a flower bed. I trip and fall in, bringing him with me. I continue to lay the beats, but soon notice I'm being kicked and within a few seconds I had three skinheads kicking and stomping me. I just covered my head and ears and had my arse handed to me. They stomped my head and face and kicked in my stomach.

My friends eventually got them off me and they ran off. I was bloodied, bruised, and the very expensive shirt I was wearing was in tatters. I sarcastically thanked my friends for helping me out, dusted myself off, cleaned up my face a bit and then we headed to the next bar where we continued to get proper drunk.

D

Deleted member 4644

Originally posted by: brigden

I was heading towards a bar with my mates when I spotted another group of friends going in to the bar. I called out, "Oi!" to get their attention. As I got to the door, this skinhead and his friend started lipping me off. I told him to piss off and walked in. He followed and continued to hurl verbal abuse. I told him to ah heck off unless he wanted me to step on his throat. He disappeared.

Once we left the bar and rounded the corner we were confronted by the two skinheads and three more of their friends. One of them was considerably bigger than me and I'm 6'0", 180lbs. The big one gets in my face and starts accusing me of giving his friend a hard time. While he's in my face, two of them make their way behind me. Now I have three in front and two behind. My two friends, both bigger than me, stand on the curb watching, completely useless.

I knew the kick off was enivitable, so I threw the first punch. I grabbed the big guy's lower jaw and punched him square in the face. He reeled, I connected a few more times. He didn't see it coming. At this point I'm receiving shots to the back of my head. I took care of the big guy with an uppercut, but now I'm fighting two more. One of my friends was kind enough to occupy the other two, while my third friend watched.

I grab one of the skinheads and put him in a headlock and began to feed him the beats. It's just the two of us now. He's twisting and squirming and we scuffle towards a flower bed. I trip and fall in, bringing him with me. I continue to lay the beats, but soon notice I'm being kicked and within a few seconds I had three skinheads kicking and stomping me. I just covered my head and ears and had my arse handed to me. They stomped my head and face and kicked in my stomach.

My friends eventually got them off me and they ran off. I was bloodied, bruised, and the very expensive shirt I was wearing was in tatters. I sarcastically thanked my friends for helping me out, dusted myself off, cleaned up my face a bit and then we headed to the next bar where we continued to get proper drunk.

LOL thats awesome

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I really think you handled it the best you could have. For instance I will take myself, I have studied martial arts for more than a few years and have worked on knife defense techniques; however, most martial artists that have practiced such techniques will all basically tell you the same thing and that is not to be put in a position to actually have to use those techniques.
I feel comfortable in my knowledge and technique, but I would have done the same thing you did. No reason to do more than what is neccesary and put yourself and others at more risk.

dafatha00

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: brigden

You need to choose new friends. If my friends ever stood there watching while I was getting my ass beat, I'd never talk to em again.

acidvoodoo

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2002
i just should point 2 things out

1) When i was laughing at drunks, i mean drunken people i knew, like my best girly friend was carrying her drunk ass boyfriend home. These 2 guys, we didn't even see till they asked for cigs then started the fight

2)My friend never got his ass beat, there was never a fight. He was just backing off and avoiding punches. Had it developed into a proper fight, where both of the enemies went for him, iwould't have to think twice about helping him out. I really wanted to avoid a full blown flight, someone would have got really hurt, either someone getting slashed, or these 2 kids not giving up on the fightin until they were knocked out [they were drunk and determined], luckily no one got too injured

i suggested my friend go to the local police station and report what happend, as these kids prolly have records of doing all kinds of petty crimes, but my friend didn't want the hassle, and i guess the police prolly wouldn't do anything about it.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
woulda followed the knife puller to his ultimate destination and called the cops. Woulda outran any attempts at an attack unless he got to close for comfort and then its fighting time.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
The solution to this very situation is illustrated in the film "Crocodile Dundee".

What you are supposed to do, is this-

Aggresor pulls knife.

You look at him, and at his knife, and laugh.

Say "that isn't a knife".

Pull out your 2.5 foot blade.

Say "now that is a knife".

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
hes asking what shiould he have done. not what he should do now, since its obviously over.

he wants to know what you guys would have done in that specific situation at the time. everyone calling him stupid is an idiot as he didnt initiate the conflict. what would you guys have done in that situation? fight? i dont think thats a good decision. i think he did the best thing, to try to remain calm and keep things from getting way out of hand.

i mean really, this guy had a knife, what SHOULD he have done?

GoodToGo

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Arkitech
Originally posted by: Papagayo
Originally posted by: acidvoodoo
<snip long post> [/b]

You Puss....

You didn't back your friend up..

Your friend should of punched you and given you a bloody lip for being a chicken..

You should be ashamed.. Hiding with the girls during the fight, while your friend is getting beat up.

What are you stupid? Its that kind of stupid attitude that get people killed. It was'nt like he left his friend and ran off in the bushes

And what if his friend got st@bbed?

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Chiropteran
The solution to this very situation is illustrated in the film "Crocodile Dundee".

What you are supposed to do, is this-

Aggresor pulls knife.

You look at him, and at his knife, and laugh.

Say "that isn't a knife".

Pull out your 2.5 foot blade.

Say "now that is a knife".

That was the first thing that I thought of. I hope it wasn't some little 1" long pocket knife.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: acidvoodoo
Originally posted by: Howard
The feeling of betraying somebody's trust is terrible. But, you should realize that nothing really major happened, and even if you had kicked their asses, were they sober enough to remember who did it?

they continued tryin to hit my friend even as we walked away, and they waved a knife at us, it was an extremely tense situation, and frustrating
Someone pulls a knife out, RUN, don't walk away.
If they won't let you get away, pick up something and beat them with it.
If there is nothing to pick up, use your belt or shirt around your dominant arm to prevent an arterial wound and disarm them. I mean remove their arms... :D
Fists are one thing, knives and guns mean real business is going down.
Proper preparation prevents poor performance.

oh, and drunk people suck, in general.