My fish has no face! (With pics!)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Wasen't that ans old Billy Idoll tune, "Fish Without A Face" or something??

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Its an iridescent shark, one of those freshwater fishes that they call "shark". Really a catfish I'm pretty sure.

He is STILL alive!!

He is only looking worse now. I think I've gotta put him out of his misery.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: BD2003
Its an iridescent shark, one of those freshwater fishes that they call "shark". Really a catfish I'm pretty sure.

He is STILL alive!!

He is only looking worse now. I think I've gotta put him out of his misery.

Net him and flush him.

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
Originally posted by: guyver01
Originally posted by: Sketcher
Or quickly w/out mess = put fish in plastic bag, whip plastic bag against hard surface = done...

i think the "whip bag against hard surface" would cause SOME splatter mess...

but... this suggestion had me LMAO!!

3-Ply Hefty Trash bag ;) or anything 3-mil or thicker. Length of bag affects terminal velocity in arc of swing.

:D

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
FLUSH "EM!
he's gotta be in some fish pain even though he's still going through the motions...

LiekOMG

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
Ouch. If you leave him in there long enough, sooner or later there will be nothing left but a skeleton. Its happened to my fish before too

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Once I was "kenneling" a couple of Red Eared Slider turtles... I kept them 10 or so months.... They were large specimens about 5 pounds each... in a 50 gallon tank...

I had a lot of fun with them and bought a few wood platforms and things for the tank...

One day when my brain was conveniently absent... I decided to spruce up the tank with about 15 other fish, a crayfish, and some plants... my 3 year old daughter helped me pick out and name all the fishies... it was a lot of fun...

Did yo all know that turtles are ravenous omnivorous predators?... It was like throwing raw meat in a crocodile tank... the ensuing carnage was devastating... within 48 hours everything (bones and stems included) was completely gone! The turtles were very happy though :)

Egrimm

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2001
Poor fishie. Put it out of its misery somehow; don't know what would be the most painless way though.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
fillet

seriously though

the most "humane" way to put an aquarium fish down is to catch him , put him into a cup (with water), then set the cup in the freezer

he will slowly "go to sleep" as his body temperature drops

then flush him if he's small enough, bury him if he was your buddy or throw him in the trash if not

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
when he unfreezes he might wake up... especially since he is a tough one... stil alive with his face gone hahaha lol...

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Originally posted by: PHiuR
when he unfreezes he might wake up... especially since he is a tough one... stil alive with his face gone hahaha lol...

Not a chance. It's a tropical fish, with no mechanism for surviving freezing weater.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
He probably would be if I didnt put him out of his misery. I decided on the freezing route. Put him in a cup, went out to get some food, half expecting him to be still alive and kicking when I got back.

Opened up the freezer, and found him lying next to the cup. ah heck jumped out, and froze to the bottom of my freezer.

So I had to scrape him off, and he was hard as a rock. And I could see his brains.

Damn. :confused:

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BD2003
He probably would be if I didnt put him out of his misery. I decided on the freezing route. Put him in a cup, went out to get some food, half expecting him to be still alive and kicking when I got back.

Opened up the freezer, and found him lying next to the cup. ah heck jumped out, and froze to the bottom of my freezer.

So I had to scrape him off, and he was hard as a rock. And I could see his brains.

Damn. :confused:

OMFG!!!!

:Q

quirky

Jun 25, 2002
damit! you shoudl have left him in there just to see what would happen. FISH DONT FEEL PAIN PEOPLE!