My First HTPC

tenderbrew

Dec 6, 2012
Was looking to build my first HTPC and messing around with a bunch of builds, but always stop before I completely pull the trigger. My personal use would be a SteamBox/HTPC of sorts that could do some light gaming (older games/indie games mostly).

I came across this article on the Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/30/...xbox-720-build-your-own-steambox-on-the-cheap

And that piqued my interest again.

Then I also read this article on Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6449/amd-trinity-buyers-guide/3

And it is starting to again leave me just kind of unsure which exact route to go.

Mostly confused about cases. For instance that case in the Anandtech article is out of stock everywhere and I was looking to build next week.

Does anybody have any suggestions on building a first HTPC? I've built plenty of regular desktops, so I'm not completely new to the scene. Just looking for good resources from those who have done it a bunch.

Thanks!

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
As far as a case, do you want a traditional PC-type case or a horizontal 'stereo component' case? How much equipment are you going to pack into it? Are you incluidng a video card? Many small HTPC cases won't accomodate a big GPU.

tenderbrew

Dec 6, 2012
I see that the Intel build I linked to has a low-profile card and the AMD one does not. I guess it depends what kind of medium-end Steam gaming I can do with either.

I would like a horizontal stereo component looking case though probably - unless I hide it behind the TV stand or something.

assassin24

HTPC Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
Take a look at my hardware guide. I have quite a few ideas to get you started.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Pick up Assasin's guide!

I was on the fence for a few months about building an htpc, because of the money involved (I wanted to game too) the ease of use and how much I would actually end up using it.

I now use my HTPC 2-3x more than the PC in my sig. HTPC is awesome in so many ways, and assasin's guide is what will give it to you.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The author of that article received two out of two APUs, with bad IGPs on them? That doesn't sound right. It's pretty rare to get a defective CPU (APU) out of the box. As far as I know, 100% of the CPUs rolling off the line get tested for correctness.

Either he had bad RAM (which, given how dependent on RAM APUs are, is unsurprising), or he was doing something wrong.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'll be building my first htpc here in the next week or so. Just got my last part in today (Samsung 830 128gb ssd) for the OS. I won't have a lot of time this weekend to put it together though. All my parts are in their boxes just waiting to be put together.