my first hernia :(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Lorn
So it doesn't matter how strong your core is - you can still get hernia?

I'm pretty sure its mostly genetic whether you're prone to them or not. When you lift something heavy it creates a lot of pressure inside the abdomen which can cause a hernia. Men are more prone to them because we naturally already have a hole in our abdominal wall for our junk to go through, which leaves us with a major weak spot. That, and women refuse to lift any of the god damn furniture.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: bmacd
Originally posted by: pclstyle
man, no insurance?

i remember the total bill on my surgery coming out to close to 15k. (Dec' 03)

I had insurance, but I was "reassigned" a new position at work, and I lost my full time benefits.

-=bmacd=-

Shooting spree/lawsuit should solve this problem.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PingSpike

I'm pretty sure its mostly genetic whether you're prone to them or not. When you lift something heavy it creates a lot of pressure inside the abdomen which can cause a hernia. Men are more prone to them because we naturally already have a hole in our abdominal wall for our junk to go through, which leaves us with a major weak spot. That, and women refuse to lift any of the god damn furniture.
LOL! :thumbsup:

What about when you take a sh!t? Has anybody ever herniated themselves while doing that? LOL

hemiram

Mar 16, 2005
Yeah, one of cousin Sam's "breakouts" was when he was crapping. Actually it was the LAST one before they fixed him!

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
That'll be a good $2000-$4000 fix :( Man that sux. If I didn't have health insurance, I think I'd walk around in a suit of armor with pillows strapped to my feet. Scary thing to be without.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: PingSpike

My dad had two of them back during his Army days. He lived with it for 20+ years before removing them about 2 years back. It depends on your threshold/tolerance for pain. I should probably be more careful lifting weights. :(

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Yes, it sucks a little bit but don't worry.

Get hold of your general practitioner and let them know what's up. They'll explain your options. Workman's comp will cover you.

The surgery is quite simple and quick. They will place some synthetic mesh where your weak spot is after they repaired the hernia.

You'll have to shave the "twig & berries" area and you'll itch for a while after it grows back in, but no worries. You'll be just fine.

;)

TriStar

Banned
May 20, 2005
If you hurt yourself at work workmans comp will pay for the surgery and some of your wages while you are recuperating.

My last hernia surgery was outpatient, I went in at seven in the morning, had the surgery and was out around noon. I wasn't jumping up and down, but I was mobile.

With the new surgery techniques you can be back to work in 2 or 3 weeks.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: bmacd
Originally posted by: pclstyle
man, no insurance?

i remember the total bill on my surgery coming out to close to 15k. (Dec' 03)

I had insurance, but I was "reassigned" a new position at work, and I lost my full time benefits.

-=bmacd=-

You should assfvck some people with your man sh!t for that alone...only if it won't cause more tissue bulges, of course.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
You can't strengthen muscle and prevent anything, this is all happening underneath the muscle. There's an inguinal canal down there made of muscle fascia that your spermatic cord descended through, if that doesn't close properly during development or is sufficiently weakened for whatever reason later in life, your intestines can start protruding and possibly end up all the way down in your scrotum. I've seen a pic with a guy's sack swollen to the size of a cantalope, because of intestines getting down in there.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
my grandpa is always getting them. i'm terrified of them, although i've never felt anything when lifting, except from my back of course.