My first experience with iPod/iTunes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: mpitts
I use iTunes with my iPod and it is great for managing a large database of mp3's.

It makes my life easier.

QFT. iTunes + iPod = pure bliss.

OP either has a defective unit or a PEBKAC issue :laugh:

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Originally posted by: sandorski
After seeing my friends Sandisk player and the simple Drag/Drop it uses, I don't see why anyone would want an iPod. It's just so easy to load Music into the Sandisk, no Software/Drivers needed.

drag and drop is fine if you have a small collection.
indexed files for quick search/smart playlists that auto update or build themselves based on years/genres and whatever simple rules you make are much better than drag and drop. hell auto fill is great if you don't have a player that can take your entire collection. automation/quick search is smarter way of doing things. using desktop search like google or copernic is much smarter than digging through directories manually for instance.

did you try reseting the ipod?
I agree. And for the record, the Sansa can also autosync just fine with WMP10/11 and other 3rd party apps. Most of my music collection is fairly static (I just don't listen to as much as I used to) so drag-and-drop actually would work ok for me. But I listen to a TON of podcasts and having WMP auto-generate and sync the playlists is definitely the only way to go for things like that.

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I think you had a bad iPod. I have had numerous iPods (both mine and others) in fact I recently set up 14 with no problems. I set up an Zune and a Zen VisionW and wanted to gouge my eyes out for that crap.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: bigrash
Originally posted by: Homerboy
I am dumber than the average idiot.

QFT

Hilarious
Anyways, its not working or being recognized by win2k or winXP on any USB port on either of those machines. I assume when you plug it in, at the very least windows should see it and try to do something with it correct?

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
you could just have a bad ipod. see if you can swap one sy yhr dyotr?

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I agree iTunes bloats my computer, it runs like 3background processes at startup for no reason at all.

DRM is too restrictive. The iPod/iTunes is just proprietary crap IMO. When you have an iPod DRM isn't as annoying, though.

And for the love of god everytime I install iTunes I have to disable the fscking internet explorer picture viewer plugin.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I have this problem a lot too. So do the people in my office. It's pretty coming on Mac's forums as well.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: OverVolt
I agree iTunes bloats my computer, it runs like 3background processes at startup for no reason at all.

DRM is too restrictive. The iPod/iTunes is just proprietary crap IMO. When you have an iPod DRM isn't as annoying, though.

And for the love of god everytime I install iTunes I have to disable the fscking internet explorer picture viewer plugin.

damn man, let it all out why don't you....

I could argue or refute or whatever...but geez man...just calm down...

Life isn't about bitching....

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
ITunes always worked fine for me. I do like it for converting wma to mp3 and stuff like that, editing mp3 tags. As a media player I can?t stand it and would rather just use wmp.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Mo0o
did you instal the software?

itunes? yes

There should be more than that. My iPod came with software to have the computer recognize it, but I still think it's just a bad iPod.

I, personally, like iTunes. With thousands of songs, it's a great database, and searching for songs is easy and I like how I can easily choose playlists in the left window without searching for it.

Winamp, though, I think has better audio quality for some strange reason. I think it has a better equalizer or something.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
So... what did you do wrong, anyway? Did you forget to run the iPod update utility to upgrade the firmware and format the thing first?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bigrash
I am dumber than the average idiot.

QFT

Hilarious
Anyways, its not working or being recognized by win2k or winXP on any USB port on either of those machines. I assume when you plug it in, at the very least windows should see it and try to do something with it correct?
Yep, Windows should see a USB device, and I think it should be formatted FAT32 out of the box resulting in Windows also seeing a mountable drive. If you're not getting anything, try the Apple help site (there are several FAQs for this kind of stuff) and if none of those resolve the situation then you have a dud. It happens.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
There should be more than that. My iPod came with software to have the computer recognize it, but I still think it's just a bad iPod.

Wait... there's software for the ipod itself that is not inclusive to iTunes? Are you serious?
I thought iTunes was all you needed...

And even without software installed windows should STILL just see the new USB device shouldn't it?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

Wait... there's software for the ipod itself that is not inclusive to iTunes? Are you serious?
I thought iTunes was all you needed...

And even without software installed windows should STILL just see the new USB device shouldn't it?

That's simply software to update the firmware. IIRC it's not needed anymore if you're plugging an ipod into a computer for which it has been formatted for:

Ie, if ou plug in a mac-formatted ipod in to a windows machine itunes will prompt you to let it format it for you automatically.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
That's simply software to update the firmware. IIRC it's not needed anymore if you're plugging an ipod into a computer for which it has been formatted for:

Ie, if ou plug in a mac-formatted ipod in to a windows machine itunes will prompt you to let it format it for you automatically.

gotcha
I'm done then. Screw this iPod

noagname

Jan 4, 2006
i had that problem just push the cord that goes into your ipod in a little harder

and ipod are nice but itunes is lame

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Just in case you didn't give up yet, be sure you are using actual USB ports and not ports from a hub or other device.

My nano will charge on any USB port, but iTunes will only work with the ports @ the back of my rig. GL