My feedback on my new Tesla Model S.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
You spelled CamAro wrong n00b

lol... C A M A R O....

In case the service center didn't tell you, you can reboot the MCU yourself by holding in both scroll wheels on the steering wheel.

we just got the feature activated.
It was actually a nightmare on the new intel mcu's, and couldn't be rebooted until the 2018.14.2 update.

does your work charge you for the charging?

yes, because i own the building i work at... so i end up paying the electricity anhyow, it does however get written off as a operating expense.

Reactions: Bubbleawsome

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Do you feel comfortable stuffing a sheet of plywood in the cabin in your Tesla, or throwing some dirty tires in the trunk? A bicycle half hanging out? Bags of dirt, which might leak/spill?

640487d1316009765-my-new-bike-rack-lambo.jpg

99617360_485457ec50.jpg

Feb 25, 2011

That's the kind of thing I think I would do just to take the picture and prove I'd done it. (A mattress and some nylon tie-downs would be really, really unlikely to scratch anything, and the weight is actually pretty trivial.)

I do NOT approve of the "arm out the window" hold-down method, however.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Tesla is losing its exclusiveness as more competitors bring products to market so it will be interesting to see how they improve it.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Tesla is losing its exclusiveness as more competitors bring products to market so it will be interesting to see how they improve it.

1. The self-driving thing is what sets them apart the most. I've driven an S, an X, Fit EV, Bolt, etc. and they are all kind of similar machines...instant throttle response, quiet, and so on. But the Tesla vehicles have Autopilot, which is improving all the time, whereas the Bolt doesn't even have adaptive cruise control, which is pretty standard these days. Just being electric is not very motivating to regular people...you have to get a charger installed at your house, going on trips is a hassle because charging takes a long time, even the EV's with the best range still aren't very good, etc. But add in self-driving and it suddenly becomes a lot more compelling to switch to an electric ride!

2. I think they need to make improvements to both quality & luxury. I've read about a lot of quality issues that a car manufacturer shouldn't have in today's world. And cars like the X are missing a ton of both basic & luxury features that a car in that price range should have. It's mostly minor stuff, but it is important stuff at that price imo. When I test-drove the X, it definitely didn't feel like a $155k vehicle. It wasn't even as nicely trimmed out as a Volvo. Had nice seats, but my last Kia Soul felt more put-together as far as the interior design went. Granted, they are more designed to be performance machines (that was the first time I've ever gone 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds in ANY car, let alone an SUV, lol).

3. I'm hoping they apply the Roadster 2.0's battery pack to the existing S & X models (or do a refresh with more luxury features & then throw in the better battery pack). The Roadster has a 620-mile range. Even with the additional weight, it'd be amazing to have a Model X with a 500-mile range. Currently, the Bolt offers a 238-mile range and the Model X offers a 295-mile range. And the X tops out above $150,000 fully-loaded, whereas the Bolt is around $40-ish and can be had for as little as $25k (if you live in say California & get both the $7.5k Federal & $2.5k CA credit & rebate). Granted, they are entirely different vehicles, but with electric cars, the range is one of the driving features for many purchases. Setting the S & X apart by doubling the current battery sizes would really differentiate those vehicles from the Model 3 & other competitors.

But yeah, there are lot of interesting competitors coming out, so I'm very interested to see how Tesla plans on setting themselves apart aside from Autopilot. The Hyundai Kona EV is looking like a pretty nice baby Model X with an optional 292-mile battery, plus adaptive cruise control, forward collision assist, lane keep assist, and blind spot warning, which is a pretty decent safety & semi-autonomous suite of options:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/27/17058362/hyundai-kona-ev-suv-range-specs-photos

CR-Cars-InlineHero-2019-Hyundai-Kona-EV-driving-3-18

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Looks like it's based on the Niro's platform. Honestly, all of the cars which share that impress me.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
yes, because i own the building i work at... so i end up paying the electricity anhyow, it does however get written off as a operating expense.

ok, so not something everyone could do.
curious if you used that cost in the 'fuel' cost earlier

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
lol... C A M A R O....

we just got the feature activated.
It was actually a nightmare on the new intel mcu's, and couldn't be rebooted until the 2018.14.2 update.

You ever gonna answer your email? I had to come back here to get your attention.

jason166

Dec 11, 2009
@aigomorla sorry to say it but I think the software issues are related to your luck of receiving the new MCU. Seems like it was beta tested by installing it in cars on the assembly line. I have a 2017 S 90D and had no issues (MCU1).

Regarding the comments on the car not being practical... I use it as my main family car and find it quite so. But I don't have to worry about giving my passenger's whiplash like you I suppose :)

Reactions: Kaido