My father has been hospitalized with Congestive Heart Failure

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
This happened on Tuesday.

They have been running various tests on him and discovered several things. He has pneumonia, low cardiac output, anemia and just discovered today he is bleeding from his kidney.

The last one is the most serious problem. They are not sure why he is bleeding from there, but we (my sister and I) were informed that if taking him off his warfarin doesn't stop the bleeding he would need surgery. However, the surgery would more than likely kill him. They will let us know what the next move will be on Sunday or Monday.

On top of this I have a nasty cold and I am not allowed to visit him because of this. There are some legal things my dad and I must deal with in case things get really bad.

As some people on this board know through personal experience, this has been a very stressful week. I now fear a bout of depression coming on.

So if I tend to post in an argumentative way over the next few days, please understand how much emotional strain I am under.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

IMaN00BieGF

May 14, 2006
I'm really sorry to hear about your father. I will keep him in my prayers. I just visited my father who is also in poor health and they don 't know whats wrong with him so I understand you pain. If you need someone to talk to let me know.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
There are some cool things docs can do for your father to get ready for surgery if necessary.

The kidney bleeding may be something they just want to watch right now. (I won't pretend to know what's causing it).

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
thanks everyone. your prayers are appreciated.

I forgot to mention that I have been told he will not be coming home again. He will have to stay at the hospital until he can be placed in a nursing home.

:(

iliopsoas

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
Warfarin is a dangerous medication. It is used as a blood thinner and can cause bleeding (especially if your dad's kidney already has an existing lesion -- whether malignant or benign). It's also used as rat poison.

The bleeding will probably stop if the warfarin is discontinued. If it persists, an interventional radiologist can go in and try to stop the bleeding using catheters and coils. Worst case scenario, surgery.

As for congestive heart failure, lots of people have it...and this will probably be the beginning of many hospitalizations if that hasn't already happened. However, it can be managed through medications and appropriate diet.

Good luck to you and your family.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
thanks everyone. your prayers are appreciated.

I forgot to mention that I have been told he will not be coming home again. He will have to stay at the hospital until he can be placed in a nursing home.

:(

Yikes, may I ask what his age is?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but I was having a rest.

Between this and my cold, I feel like crap.

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
best wishes man, make sure you get some rest and get better yourself so you can be with your father....