My Enermax PSU fan is dead.

forumposter32

Banned
May 23, 2005
Well, I'm not completely impressed. And, I don't understand it either. It's only like 7 months old. What would you do? I have great case air flow so does it really matter?

forumposter32

Banned
May 23, 2005
I don't know. I'll have to look. I never registered it. I wanted to sell it before I move anyway. Do you think the next person who gets it could register it to their name and get it RMA'd?

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
. First, YES IT DOES MATTER! All my cases have good air flow, but on one of my three-wire fan mods (see below), one of the terminals on the fan was making bad contact. If I didn't have a good sense of smell that day, I would have had the magic smoke leaving my PSU from every available opening... ;) Luckliy I caught it in time. The fan(s) in the PSU are all that cools the PSU. (I was going to toss in a duuuh - but then I thought better of it.)
. I have never heard of having to register PSUs. They go by the mfr. date on a label on the PSU case. Most don't even ask for "proof of purchase"... I would either RMA it (maybe they would cross-ship with a CreditCard guarantee) OR see if they could just send you a fan and you could install it OR just buy a quality 12V fan of the same size and approx. the same power rating (watts or amps) and put it in. The last option is the one I usually do as I can put in a much better quality fan than original equipment for very low cost. Easy to do, just keep your fingers away from anything else in there. Unfortunatly the fan quality is where the bean counters often cut first - after all, a fan is just a fan, right??? There are tons of threads here on buying quality fans.
. I have even been putting 3-wire fans in brand new PSUs that only have 2-wire fans as I think it is important to monitor the 2nd most important fan in your system.

.bh.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: forumposter32
I don't know. I'll have to look. I never registered it. I wanted to sell it before I move anyway. Do you think the next person who gets it could register it to their name and get it RMA'd?

You expect someone to buy a broken PSU in hopes that it can be RMA'd? :confused:

forumposter32

Banned
May 23, 2005
Originally posted by: HardWarrior

You expect someone to buy a broken PSU in hopes that it can be RMA'd? :confused:

Well, I was going to sell case/psu/hard drive/dvd-rw all at the same time. I just figured someone else could deal with that problem.

BTW, if I did want to replace the fan myself, what size/type do I need and can I just plug it in the same place the original is plugged in?

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
It's not that hard to change a PSU fan. Google a tutorial about doing it. There are many out
on the web.

You might have to solder the wiring then cover the splices with heat shrink tubing.

As Zepper said get a comperable fan. Most take an 80mm@> .22A, some use a 120mm fan.

...Galvanized

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: HardWarrior

Well, I was going to sell case/psu/hard drive/dvd-rw all at the same time. I just figured someone else could deal with that problem.

BTW, if I did want to replace the fan myself, what size/type do I need and can I just plug it in the same place the original is plugged in?

I guess it's possible, but I'd never buy a machine like that.

I've only replaced one PSU fan and that was about 10-years ago. I had to splice the new one in and wrap the connections in electrical tape. Maybe things are easier today. The replacement SHOULD be a high-quality fan of the same size.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Some PSU fans have a special connector for hooking up to the PSU. Just cut it off the old fan and splice the wires to the new fan. Slide the shrink tubing onto the leads prior to soldering then you can just slide it down over the splice and shrink it. As G-Y said, most PSU fans are 80x25mm or 120x25mm, but there are a few oddballs out there. 80mm fans are ~ 3 1/8" across the flats and 120mm are ~4.7" across the flats. 25mm = 1" thick. There should be a label on the hub of the fan in the PSU that tells its current or power rating - just get one that is close.
. If you can handle a wire cutter/stripper, a soldering iron and a screw driver, you should have no problem doing it - it's not like it's rocket science...

.bh.

forumposter32

Banned
May 23, 2005
OK, I just examined what's going on. My 2 fans are working. It's just not pushing air like it used to (for whatever reason). It appears I have an 80mm fan in the back and a 92mm fan inside (above the CPU).

Well, it may be that the 80mm one in the back is not pushing as much as it used to. Odd thing is, I thought it looked smaller than the other 80mm but I guess it's not (after using a ruler).