My ear keeps ringing

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
I started shooting skeet about 2 weeks ago, and about half the time didn't wear proper ear protection, and since then my right ear has been ringing.:confused: Will it go away or is there some kind of ear doctor to go to?

Adica

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2004
Did you wear ear protection? There is a reason that you are suppose to, you know.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Adica
Did you wear ear protection? There is a reason that you are suppose to, you know.

Did you read what I wrote? I said I didn't wear it about half the time.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
yes it goes away, eventually.
Loud speakers at a dance floor makes my ears ring for a good 2-3 days after that night, depends on how close I was or how loud the place was.

danny~!

gabemcg

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2004
You probably got some bad skeet. You should shoot heroin instead, I hear there are some side effects, but ear ringing isn't one of them. Where can I get some of this "skeet" stuff, I havent heard of it, is it new??

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
the ringing may go away this time, but you have done some PERMANANT damage to your hearing, and that will NOT get better. the thing with the ringing is it's there all the time but most of us can hear so well that everything else masks it. put in heavy earplugs and "all of the sudden" our ears ring. but when you hammer the crap out of your ears, you can't hear enough to mask the ringing even when you're not wearing earplugs. that's your ears begging for mercy. do that kind of crap enough times and you will hear that ringing for the rest of your life. foamie earplugs are dirt cheap and usually cut 32 db. they are comfortable enough to wear for hours and will enable you to hear your grandchildren's voices and skip out on those lip-reading classes when you get older.

in my band we have a "no plugs, no noise" rule. no one is allowing to turn up their amps or hit a drum until everyone has their plugs in. our bassist is 25 and already has permanant damage from his previous band. he hears ringing all the time. don't be like him.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: JohnCU
I started shooting skeet about 2 weeks ago, and about half the time didn't wear proper ear protection, and since then my right ear has been ringing.:confused: Will it go away or is there some kind of ear doctor to go to?

make sure you wear ear protection, you are damaging your ears if you don't.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
It might go away if you're lucky. You've probably done damage though, and that continues to accumulate over your life. Don't take a cessation in the ringing as a license to keep blasting your hearing. Some people get this sh!t to the point that its almost a roar, or even gets pulsatile, i.e. the rings surge with your heartbeat. Real fun stuff, kind of like your own personal dripping faucet that you can't turn off, following you around 24/7.

AFAIK there isn't a lot that a doctor can do, unless you have some other physical problem that's bringing this on. But you apparently don't.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Damn, this sucks. Those other guys I was shooting with have been doing it for years and they don't have ringing in their ears.