My dog passed away today...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
ouch... man I've been through it too... very painful. Why is it those that deserve to live longest live the shortest...

rose.gif

RIP

-Max

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
My family had a smaller dog that lasted oh, 16 years before we had to put her down. Her back legs went, she went deaf, and started losing all control over her bowels. We'd come home from the store to find her laying in her own... well.. yeah. Finally had to take her in. It sucks, but that's how it goes.

Oct 9, 1999
just dropped two tears for Pongo. RIP.

although we can't give them more years, we can give them the best.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
My dog Brutus is going to be 11 this year.
I don't even want to think about his passing, though I know it will come.
I think it will devastate me...

Sorry for your loss.:brokenheart:

franksta

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2001
In 1990 (I was 10 years old) my family adopted a labrador mutt from the local rescue. Her name was Lady. They put her down on New Year's Eve 2004 just a few months before her 15th birthday. Fortunately (or unfortunately I can't decide) my wife and I didn't arrive until late in the night so I wasn't there for her last moments.

The last I saw of her was when they came to visit around November last year. It's really strange because a lot of my memories of my childhood have her in them and it's weird knowing she's not around anymore. I try not to think about it because it makes me so sad.

skimple

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
That definitely sucks. All dogs are great. Even the little yippy ones.

Here's a link to the Rainbow Bridge. A lot of people thinks it cheesy, but I like it.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I am very sorry for your loss. We just went through that with our cat Beauregard on June 8.:brokenheart:

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It seems as though we all get attached to our dogs so personally...

Rarely do I hear people talk about cats in the same way

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
Beautifully written. Take solace in the fact that you can be so articulate in expressing your sorrow - most people lack even that ability. I lost my dog 2 weeks after moving to the U.S. We had her from 1986 through 1997. Back home I was the one who would take care of her, bathe her and play with her the most. The strangest thing was that as soon as I learned she had died, virtually every memory of her was wiped from my mind. I literally have to struggle to recall any time I spent with her and even then it only comes back as disjointed, vague and clinical recollections. I can only surmise that my brain is protecting me from handling the pain.

EDIT: I just remembered - in the weeks after moving here, I wrote two-three letters to my dog, asking my parents to read it out aloud to her...I must've loved her more than I am aware now. I remember my parents didn't inform me for a couple of months after she passed. My fiancee broke the news finally, finding herself unable to keep me in the dark any more.