My desktop class Windows 2003 Server 5 years on

ITloser

Feb 8, 2000
I wanted to share my experiences with my desktop class server that I've had for over 5 years. I figured anyone interested in knowing if the general design works could at least find an example.

My server was built in 2007 (http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=71185 ) since I had a free copy of Windows 2003 Enterprise R2 x64 Retail. At the time there was nothing being said about using current desktop class chipsets for Windows Server (and RAID). There were lots of compatibility concerns for drivers, etc. Also, this way I wouldn't be stuck with a small Dell chassis/mobo.

Hardware: (~$1000 intiially)
Gigabyte P35-DS3P mobo
2 GB RAM (now 8)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU
Antec Neo HE 500W
Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB
Antec P160 case

Roles:
Domain Controller for home network
File server (handles tons of EFS encrypted files)
Web servers
VM instances

Benefits:
Single signon for my server, desktop, and laptop
Central file storage for "My Documents"
Encrypted file storage using EFS
Kerberos based authentication
IPSEC isolation mode
IPv6 (for a bit anyway)
Network backups of desktop easy to schedule
DLNA
Bluray backups

Experiences:

Annoyances:
Dealing with a floppy drive for initial setup and repair.

Reliability:
The hardware has done quite well as far as reliability. Since the original purchase, the only big issues I experienced were RAID related (RAID-1 pairs). Once I replaced one of the drives that kept faulting, the server stabilized. It never crashes. The drives were carefully chosen to assure they could handle RAID. I did have a video card fan break off, but the card is doing fine still. I have broken the front temp display by shorting it out, but thats about it. It has essentially run non-stop for 5.5 years.

Changes:
Added in more RAM. Now has 8 GB. I have 6 3.5 HDD's in it now. Each pair in a mobo software raid RAID1. I added on a 2TB volume (and bluray drive) for bluray backups. With a N router upgrade last year I gained GigE speeds and home network usage is awesome. Added a new rear fan.

Future:
I am starting to consider a dedicated NAS. That change would help me move away from a Microsoft centric design (and aging hardware), but I have reservations about file encryption options. EFS is trivial to use. All other types do not appear to be so, especially on a NAS. I also need to make sure it is accessible from my Android devices, PS3 and Wii U. Also needs to provide access over the internet for proper personal cloud services.

In summary:
I do have to do a serious dusting twice a year, outside. I don't regret this build in the slightest. I encourage others to consider a DIY Windows Server if the price to features ratio makes sense. I would hope that experiences with Server 2008 and now 2012 will prove just as valid as mine.