• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

My daughter made the honor roll with distinction

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
9,597
0
76
Wow, you're a pretty good father. You're doing a good job at home teaching them other valuable lessons

Can you be my dad? :)
 

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
9,634
0
0
Originally posted by: bootymac
Wow, you're a pretty good father. You're doing a good job at home teaching them other valuable lessons

Can you be my dad? :)
Haha. Thanks.

I've made a lot of mistakes, but our kids get a lot of love and encouragement and I think makes up for many shortcomings.
 

RMSistight

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2003
1,740
0
0
Originally posted by: Riprorin
Originally posted by: bootymac
Wow, you're a pretty good father. You're doing a good job at home teaching them other valuable lessons

Can you be my dad? :)
Haha. Thanks.

I've made a lot of mistakes, but our kids get a lot of love and encouragement and I think makes up for many shortcomings.
Hey man..at least you give a damn about your kids. I've seen some parents at my school when I was in high school that just don't give a F. They don't deserve to even be parents. If you can't take care of your own kids, then don't have any.
 

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
28,558
3
81
Before clicking on this thread and looking at the author I KNEW it would be Riprorin. Keep 'em off hard drugs like someone else said. Sounds like you are doing a good job.
 

stonecold3169

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
2,060
0
76
The emphansis on religion probably helped a good bit too.

While I myself am agnostic, my gf is a devout protestant and was raised that way along with her two sisters. The father told them that when they left the house, they were free to pursue whatever type of beliefs that they found most fitting to them. Because of this, he has no qualms with me and he apparently really likes me. To him, thogh, religion isn't all about your exact faith, it's instilling a system of rules and manners which will get you through life in the best way possible while never exploiting those more vulnerable.

While this is far from how I was raised, looking at my beautiful gf and her siblings, and the rest of the household, I can definitely see the benefits of the lifestyle :)
 

pcmodem

Golden Member
Feb 6, 2001
1,190
0
0
Congrats!

Damn, if I were u I'd be so proud I'd be weeping for happiness in a sentimental way. :)

Sort of like that Jack-In-A-Box commercial.
-PCM
 

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
4,638
0
0
h oyeah tell her to work harder so she can get scholarships to college and leave the money for mommy and daddy to party with . :)
ehheeh j/k
 

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
6,815
0
0
Pull your daughter out of that school and put her in MIT. See if she gets honor roll there. :)
 

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
6,944
2
81
Congrats.

But did your kid score 98th percentile on the Raven Intelligence tests in 3rd grade and get classified as intellectually gifted?
Nananananana.

:D
 

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
2,585
0
0
Originally posted by: djNickb
Originally posted by: RMSistight
Originally posted by: Riprorin
This is the first quarter my school has provided awards.

My fourth-grade daughter made the honor roll because she got all As and B+s on her report card and she earned the recongnition with distinction because of her bahavior in class and her positive interactions with other students and teachers.

The recognition starts at 3rd grade and I'm expecting the same for my second-grade son next year. He's a little stronger than my daughter academcially and he's a really personable, and friendly kid.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my kids' success continues.
Keep it up man! Parental involvement is one of the key aspects towards producing a successful child. Most students that I've seen that have gotten poor grades was because their parents didn't show any interest in their academics. So if their parents don't care, why should they care? And of course, parents that take their kids to private often want to get their money's worth. Whereas public schools, kids don't seem to care. Keep on them strong and hard, you'll have kids who will excel.
I completely agree. My parents were very active in my school career and as a result I graduated valedictorian of my HS class, got a full ride to college and found a job less than 2 months after graduation. My younger sister was also valedictorian of her class and got a full ride to college where she is now. Cept she went to my rival school :evil: my little brother just started high school this year, we'll see how he does at the end of his high school career. He is smart but I'm not sure if he is as motivated as me and my sister were in high school.

i'm going to disagree. i too was valedictorian of my class, got a full academic scholarship, and in the process of looking for jobs. however, i'll be the first to say that my parents' overemphasis on schooling and academics made me into a socially unhealthy student. when i first came to college, i f'd up royally cause i wasn't used to the freedom, didn't know how to deal with girls, etc. it wasn't that my parents went over my hw with me every night; they simply wouldn't let me go out with friends during high school, defaulting me into a book worm. the result? stellar grades and tests scores. but so what? if one can't function in society, all this academic ability is useless. of course, i'm at the end of my college career now and undoubtedly i've learned a lot about myself. my parents too. i can't blame them too much i guess, they're asian.

my point is that parental involvement is definitely vital to a kid's success, but don't mold you kid into a nerd who studies all the time. and don't keep them from socializing with their friends. church is good too.

congrats to your daughter. she's on the right track.
 

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
63,662
275
126
Congrats on your daughter's achievement Riprorin! :beer:
 

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
8,780
2
76
That must be really meaningful as a parent!

I hope to be a good father one day. :)
 

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
9,634
0
0
Originally posted by: Shanti
Congrats.

But did your kid score 98th percentile on the Raven Intelligence tests in 3rd grade and get classified as intellectually gifted?
Nananananana.

:D
Nah, they're not gifted but they put in a good effort at school and have good study habits. They do their homework as soon as they get home from school and I go over it with them after dinner. I know exactly what they have to do because they have an assignment pad that they are responsible for. The teacher checks and initials it to make sure they copied down their homework properly and I initial it after I review what they've done. If they don't do their homework, they miss a privilege like "fun Friday".

Honestly, at parent-teacher conferences, the first thing I ask about is if they are behaving in class and getting along well with their classmates. I think that's just as important as academics.

We also limit them to two activities per week: they both do karate on Saturday morning, my son is in cub scouts and my daughter does dance. We also try to get them in bed at 8:00 so they are well rested and ready for school in the morning.
 

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
31,531
1,155
126
www.theshoppinqueen.com
My son brings home report cards so beautiful it brings tears to my eyes(you had to know Angel and Nicole,lol,His twisted sisters to appreciate why I cry with joy:)

Congrats to your girl:)
 

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
6,944
2
81
Originally posted by: Riprorin

Nah, they're not gifted but they put in a good effort at school and have good study habits. They do their homework as soon as they get home from school and I go over it with them after dinner. I know exactly what they have to do because they have an assignment pad that they are responsible for. The teacher checks and initials it to make sure they copied down their homework properly and I initial it after I review what they've done. If they don't do their homework, they miss a privilege like "fun Friday".

Honestly, at parent-teacher conferences, the first thing I ask about is if they are behaving in class and getting along well with their classmates. I think that's just as important as academics.

We also limit them to two activities per week: they both do karate on Saturday morning, my son is in cub scouts and my daughter does dance. We also try to get them in bed at 8:00 so they are well rested and ready for school in the morning.
That's great man. The world definitely needs more people who care as much about their kids as you obviously do. We just had our fourth child two weeks ago, so I can say from experience that parenting is not an easy job. My wife also stays home with our kids. It is a sacrifice, but we think it has been well worth it. One of my daughters just started kindergarten and she was really horrified by the behavior of some of the kids. She just didn't seem to understand why one of the other girls was being so mean to people. Hearing things like that reassures me that we must be doing something right.

My son has always been very good at math and reading. It actually makes it difficult to get him to consistently do his homework because he is bored with it. So I was very happy when they classified him as a TAG kid. It means he will now get more work that is challenging to him. I think having good discipline and values is much more important than being "gifted". I was in TAG programs when I was in school, and it took me 10 years of my life to finally get my college degree. So what does that tell you. LOL.
 

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
25,696
1
0
Originally posted by: Riprorin
Originally posted by: oniq
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
Originally posted by: Riprorin
Briefly,

My wife is a stay at home mom
They have a good relationship with both sets of grandparents
The kids go to a racially integrated city-Catholic school
I'm home at 5 - 5:30 every day and go over their homework with them every evening
I take them to church every Sunday where they go special service with kids their age and they go to vacation Bible school during the summer
I try to emphasize the golden rule
I support the teachers and emphasize at home the values they are learning at school (The 3R's are being strongly emphasized this year: Respect, Responsibilty, and Reliability)

I think that these are some of the reasons that they are doing so well.
So in other words, you're using basic, common sense.

WOW!! :D;)
Catholic School :disgust:
My kids love their school. They have an all day pre-school starting 3 years old. This is my daughter's 7th year there and she's never had a sick day. My son's been at the school 4 years and he's had 1 sick day.

They wake up every morning enthusiastic about going to school.

The school provides a good nurturing environement; I have no complaints at all.

First off to clear out my bias, i come from mostly cathlic background but myself am an agnostic i suppose

I would highly recommended non-catholic highchool after this. I'm a junior at u of m and I've seen too many catholic kids go nuts after being "released" from the constrains of catholic highschool. Same goes for baptist highschool, but for some reason baptist kids just get really confused and dont know what to do when they get into the real world.

thumbs up for the racialy integrated schools though, personaly i think thats the only way to get rid of racism - thru the kids
 

RMSistight

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2003
1,740
0
0
Originally posted by: deejayshakur
Originally posted by: djNickb
Originally posted by: RMSistight
Originally posted by: Riprorin
This is the first quarter my school has provided awards.

My fourth-grade daughter made the honor roll because she got all As and B+s on her report card and she earned the recongnition with distinction because of her bahavior in class and her positive interactions with other students and teachers.

The recognition starts at 3rd grade and I'm expecting the same for my second-grade son next year. He's a little stronger than my daughter academcially and he's a really personable, and friendly kid.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my kids' success continues.
Keep it up man! Parental involvement is one of the key aspects towards producing a successful child. Most students that I've seen that have gotten poor grades was because their parents didn't show any interest in their academics. So if their parents don't care, why should they care? And of course, parents that take their kids to private often want to get their money's worth. Whereas public schools, kids don't seem to care. Keep on them strong and hard, you'll have kids who will excel.
I completely agree. My parents were very active in my school career and as a result I graduated valedictorian of my HS class, got a full ride to college and found a job less than 2 months after graduation. My younger sister was also valedictorian of her class and got a full ride to college where she is now. Cept she went to my rival school :evil: my little brother just started high school this year, we'll see how he does at the end of his high school career. He is smart but I'm not sure if he is as motivated as me and my sister were in high school.

i'm going to disagree. i too was valedictorian of my class, got a full academic scholarship, and in the process of looking for jobs. however, i'll be the first to say that my parents' overemphasis on schooling and academics made me into a socially unhealthy student. when i first came to college, i f'd up royally cause i wasn't used to the freedom, didn't know how to deal with girls, etc. it wasn't that my parents went over my hw with me every night; they simply wouldn't let me go out with friends during high school, defaulting me into a book worm. the result? stellar grades and tests scores. but so what? if one can't function in society, all this academic ability is useless. of course, i'm at the end of my college career now and undoubtedly i've learned a lot about myself. my parents too. i can't blame them too much i guess, they're asian.

my point is that parental involvement is definitely vital to a kid's success, but don't mold you kid into a nerd who studies all the time. and don't keep them from socializing with their friends. church is good too.

congrats to your daughter. she's on the right track.
I completely understand what you're saying. It's important for parents to get involved, but like you said, they need to let their kids live their life too. You need to be able to function in society also. You make a great point by emphasizing the key aspects of being able to function in society. I've learn from other people that life is not all about grades but experience. I know a lot of people who excel really well academically, but when it comes to things like job experience and other important things, they all fail miserably. I know some friends right now who are 20 years old that get good grades and all, but they have nevered had a job in their life. That, to me, is a shame cause you need to build some type of work experience. Who are you going to hire? A guy with kick ass grades with NO work experience or a guy with decent grades will loads of work experience? You tell me.
 

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
9,634
0
0
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: Riprorin
Originally posted by: oniq
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
Originally posted by: Riprorin
Briefly,

My wife is a stay at home mom
They have a good relationship with both sets of grandparents
The kids go to a racially integrated city-Catholic school
I'm home at 5 - 5:30 every day and go over their homework with them every evening
I take them to church every Sunday where they go special service with kids their age and they go to vacation Bible school during the summer
I try to emphasize the golden rule
I support the teachers and emphasize at home the values they are learning at school (The 3R's are being strongly emphasized this year: Respect, Responsibilty, and Reliability)

I think that these are some of the reasons that they are doing so well.
So in other words, you're using basic, common sense.

WOW!! :D;)
Catholic School :disgust:
My kids love their school. They have an all day pre-school starting 3 years old. This is my daughter's 7th year there and she's never had a sick day. My son's been at the school 4 years and he's had 1 sick day.

They wake up every morning enthusiastic about going to school.

The school provides a good nurturing environement; I have no complaints at all.

First off to clear out my bias, i come from mostly cathlic background but myself am an agnostic i suppose

I would highly recommended non-catholic highchool after this. I'm a junior at u of m and I've seen too many catholic kids go nuts after being "released" from the constrains of catholic highschool. Same goes for baptist highschool, but for some reason baptist kids just get really confused and dont know what to do when they get into the real world.

thumbs up for the racialy integrated schools though, personaly i think thats the only way to get rid of racism - thru the kids
The school's mission is to inner city kids, but there are some suburban families like us. About 40 - 50% of the kids are black, Hispanic, or mixed race. The rest are white. I think there's only 1 Asian and he's an adoptee. A lot of the kids aren't Catholic, but I don't know the exact percentage.

The standardized test scores are comparable to those of the best suburban districts amd orders of magnitude better than public inner city schools. A suprising number of city school teachers send their kids there.



 

ASK THE COMMUNITY