My dad forwarded me this email about the blizzard and the flood in NO...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
4,295
6
81
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
Originally posted by: amish
i don't understand how sean penn can go from spicolli to the duche that he is now...

WTF does Sean Penn have to do with this?

nothing really. he was mentioned in the email, my brain thought of movies that he was in, got a quick laugh thinking about spicolli, thought about how he now acts in public. just a random thought.
 

y2kc

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2000
2,547
0
76
Originally posted by: Chunkee
my dad got it from someone and just passed it to me....


dont get so riled up...just found it interesting...

jC

flamebait and you know it.
 

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
74,600
1,005
126
Originally posted by: freebee
Colorado has far fewer black people than Louisiana. There I said it.

You just summed up the entire post on one sentence. We can close this thread down now. Nothing more to see here.
 

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
54,889
47
91
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Queasy
The blizzard just needs some false stories of babies getting raped, people being murdered, and gangstas sniping at rescue helicoptors. That'll get everyone's attention.

Well I didn't see any babies getting raped but I did witness gun fire at helicopters and people getting murdered.
 

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
31,796
2
0
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Queasy
The blizzard just needs some false stories of babies getting raped, people being murdered, and gangstas sniping at rescue helicoptors. That'll get everyone's attention.

Well I didn't see any babies getting raped but I did witness gun fire at helicopters and people getting murdered.

The majority of the false stories originated from the Dome - Link

NEW ORLEANS ? After five days managing near riots, medical horrors and unspeakable living conditions inside the Superdome, Louisiana National Guard Col. Thomas Beron prepared to hand over the dead to representatives of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Following days of internationally reported murders, rapes and gang violence inside the stadium, the doctor from FEMA ? Beron doesn't remember his name ? came prepared for a grisly scene: He brought a refrigerated 18-wheeler and three doctors to process bodies.

"I've got a report of 200 bodies in the Dome," Beron recalled the doctor saying.

The real total?

Six, Beron said.

Of those, four died of natural causes, one overdosed and another jumped to his death in an apparent suicide, said Beron, who personally oversaw the handoff of bodies from a Dome freezer, where they lay atop melting bags of ice.

State health department officials in charge of body recovery put the official death count at the Dome at 10, but Beron said the other four bodies were found in the street near the Dome, not inside it. Both sources said no one had been murdered inside the stadium.

At the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, just four bodies have been recovered, despite reports of heaps of dead piled inside the building. Only one of the dead appeared to have been murdered, said health and law-enforcement officials.

That the nation's frontline emergency-management officials believed the body count would resemble that of a bloody battle in a war is but one of scores of examples of myths about the Dome and the Convention Center treated as fact by evacuees, the news media and even some of the city's top officials, including the mayor and police superintendent.

The vast majority of reported atrocities committed by evacuees ? mass murders, rapes and beatings ? have turned out to be false, or at least unsupported by any evidence, according to key military, law-enforcement, medical and civilian officials in positions to know.

advertising
"I think 99 percent of it is [expletive]," said Sgt. 1st Class Jason Lachney, who played a key role in security and humanitarian work inside the Dome. "Don't get me wrong ? bad things happened. But I didn't see any killing and raping and cutting of throats or anything ... 99 percent of the people in the Dome were very well-behaved."

Dr. Louis Cataldie, the state Health and Human Services Department administrator overseeing the body-recovery operation, said his teams were inundated with false reports.

Orleans Parish District Attorney Eddie Jordan said authorities have only confirmed four murders in the entire city in the aftermath of Katrina ? making it a typical week in a city that anticipated more than 200 homicides this year.

"I had the impression that at least 40 or 50 murders had occurred at the two sites," he said. "It's unfortunate we saw these kinds of stories saying crime had taken place on a massive scale when that wasn't the case. And they [national media outlets] have done nothing to follow up on any of these cases; they just accepted what people [on the street] told them. ... It's not consistent with the highest standards of journalism."

As floodwaters forced tens of thousands of evacuees into the Dome and Convention Center, news of unspeakable acts poured out of the nation's media: People firing at helicopters trying to save them; women, children and even babies raped with abandon; people murdered for food and water; a 7-year-old raped and killed at the Convention Center.

Police, according to their chief, Eddie Compass, found themselves in multiple shootouts inside both shelters, and were forced to race toward muzzle flashes through the dark to disarm the criminals; snipers fired at doctors and soldiers from downtown high-rises.

In interviews with Oprah Winfrey, Compass reported rapes of "babies," and Mayor Ray Nagin spoke of "hundreds of armed gang members killing and raping people" inside the Dome. Other unidentified evacuees told of children stepping over so many bodies "we couldn't count."

The picture that emerged was one of the impoverished, overwhelmingly African-American masses of flood victims resorting to utter depravity, randomly attacking each other, as well as the police trying to protect them and the rescue workers trying to save them. The mayor told Winfrey the crowd has descended to an "almost animalistic state."

Four weeks after the storm, few of the widely reported atrocities have been backed with evidence. The piles of murdered bodies never materialized, and soldiers, police officers and rescue personnel on the front lines assert that, while anarchy reigned at times and people suffered indignities, most of the worst crimes reported at the time never happened.

"The information I had at the time, I thought it was credible," Compass said, admitting his earlier statements were false. Asked the source of the information, Compass said he didn't remember.

Nagin frankly acknowledged he doesn't know the extent of the mayhem that occurred inside the Superdome and the Convention Center ? and may never. "I'm having a hard time getting a good body count," he said.

Compass conceded that rumor had overtaken, and often crippled, authorities' response to reported lawlessness, sending badly needed resources to situations that turned out not to exist.

Military, law-enforcement and medical workers agree that the flood of evacuees ? about 30,000 at the Dome and an estimated 10,000 to 20,000 at the Convention Center ? overwhelmed their security personnel.

The 400 to 500 soldiers in the Dome could have been easily overrun by increasingly agitated crowds in the Dome, but that never happened, said Col. James Knotts, a midlevel commander there. While the Convention Center saw plenty of mischief, including massive looting and isolated gunfire, and many inside cowered in fear, the hordes of evacuees for the most part did not resort to violence.

"Everything was embellished, everything was exaggerated," said Deputy Police Superintendent Warren Riley. "If one guy said he saw six bodies, then another guy the same six, and another guy saw them ? then that became 18."

Inside the Superdome, where National Guardsmen performed rigorous security checks before allowing anyone inside, only one shooting has been verified ? and even that shooting, injuring Louisiana Guardsman Chris Watt of the 527th Engineer Battalion, has been widely misreported, said Maj. David Baldwin, who led the team of soldiers who arrested the alleged assailant.

Watt had indeed been attacked inside one of the Dome's locker rooms, where he entered with another soldier. In the darkness, as they walked through about six inches of water, Watt's attacker hit him with a metal rod, a piece of a cot. But the bullet that penetrated Watt's leg came from his own gun ? he accidentally shot himself during the commotion. The attacker was sent to jail, Baldwin said.

Inside the Convention Center, Jimmie Fore, vice president of the state authority that runs the center, stayed in the building with a core group of 35 employees until Thursday. He said thugs hot-wired 75 forklifts and electric carts and looted food and booze, but he said he never saw any violent crimes committed, nor did any of his employees. Some, however, did report seeing armed men roaming the building, and Fore said he heard gunshots in the distance on about six occasions.

Rumors of rampant violence at the Convention Center prompted Louisiana National Guard Col. Jacques Thibodeaux to put together a 1,000-man force of soldiers and police in full battle gear to secure the center around noon on Friday.

It took only 20 minutes to take control, and soldiers met no resistance, Thibodeaux said. They found no evidence, witnesses or victims of any murders, rapes or beatings, Thibodeaux said.

One widely circulated story, told to The Times-Picayune by a slew of evacuees and two Arkansas National Guardsman, held that "30 or 40 bodies" were stored in a Convention Center freezer.

But a formal Arkansas Guard review of the matter later found that no soldier had actually seen the corpses, and that the information came from rumors in the food line for military, police and rescue workers in front of Harrah's Casino, said Col. John Edwards of the Arkansas National Guard, who conducted the review.

Reports of dozens of rapes at both facilities ? many allegedly involving small children ? may forever remain a question mark. Rape is a notoriously underreported crime under ideal circumstances, and tracking down evidence at this point, with evacuees spread all over the country, will be nearly impossible. The same goes for reports of armed robberies at both sites.

While numerous people told The Times-Picayune that they had witnessed rapes, in particular the rape of two young girls in the Superdome ladies' room and the killing of one of them, police and military officials say they know nothing of such an incident.

NOLA.com filed a similar story. The press never answered for their false reporting.

There was even a blogger at the HuffingtonPost that claimed that refugees were resorting to cannibalism to give you an idea on how outlandish the false claims were getting.
 

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
1,941
0
0
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: glutenberg
What you lack in national disasters, you make up for in school shootings.

:| BAN!!

Hey, if people can complain about 1000's of people dying and how well they handle non-comparable natural disasters without national attention, why can't I expect the same thing when tragedy strikes Colorado.
 

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
43,804
46
91
apples and oranges
this always happens on atot, why? why can't people compare like things?
yeah i know, the op didn't write it, but he still posted it and thought it was good enough to post.
 

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
68,143
10
81
Originally posted by: jdini76
Originally posted by: Chunkee
...with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow...

Thats roughly 7.2 INCHES of water. It doesn't compare.

so?

if you are not prepared it is nearly as deadly.

while the death toll is not as close or property damage as high. some of you are makeing this out to be nothing. when in fact it is pretty damn big.

while i agree the OP's post blowes it out of proportion many here are doing the same.

 

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
4,283
0
0
What a load of crap.
This email is comparing a nuclear bomb (N.O.) to a firecracker (Denver Blizzard).

N.O. was all but destroyed and uninhabitable for the most part. Large parts of it virtually wiped from the map for all intents and purposes. It has to be rebuilt from the ground up or else abandoned. LARGE reconstruction efforts are still going on today. There is simply no comparison. Complete and utter B.S.
 

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
12,589
0
76
I live in denver, and although a comparisson was obviously made - I don't find it very apt. Still I found the thing funny as hell, and definetely got a laugh. Its not intended, at least to me, to be a REAL comparisson, just something for a laugh which I got from it.

I also think it makes some very valid points about a lot of things.
 

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
5,525
14
81
Originally posted by: bignateyk
While I dont think the comparison is fair, I still think that it makes a somewhat valid point regarding the expectations of the government.

Yup. I don't think the message was trying to make a DIRECT comparison to Katrina. The point of the message is that there was too much cryin' from people who didn't prepare, from people who didn't leave when the could have (thats a fact, don't try to deny it), and people who just literally think that the government should take care of them and wipe their ass for them. I do admit, however, that Katrina was worse. It was hot, the bugs were out, and water is harder to "move" than snow. My point remains.... Don't rely on anyone else for help - ESPECIALLY the gummint....
 

imported_inspire

Senior member
Jun 29, 2006
986
0
0
Originally posted by: KDOG
Originally posted by: bignateyk
While I dont think the comparison is fair, I still think that it makes a somewhat valid point regarding the expectations of the government.

Yup. I don't think the message was trying to make a DIRECT comparison to Katrina. The point of the message is that there was too much cryin' from people who didn't prepare, from people who didn't leave when the could have (thats a fact, don't try to deny it), and people who just literally think that the government should take care of them and wipe their ass for them. I do admit, however, that Katrina was worse. It was hot, the bugs were out, and water is harder to "move" than snow. My point remains.... Don't rely on anyone else for help - ESPECIALLY the gummint....


That may be, but that doesn't invalidate the suffering of the hard-working people of the area who did prepare.

The only thing positive to come of this thread is the OP getting owned by ATOT.
 

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
12,169
2
0
In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 40 degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate. It does seem that way, at least to me.
:Q
pass me the popcorn.
 

blert

Senior member
Sep 30, 2005
926
1
81
I side with the OP. His message is about community coming together and helping each other out as opposed to sitting on your hands and EXPECTING the Govmnt to do everything for you.