My current arcade cabinet "project"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Customs can be a roller coaster. I've had things blow through in a day, others take a week+. As far as I've seen, no rhyme or reason to it.
Yeah kinda sucks that it didn't update since yesterday at 1pm. I hope to at least get this thing by Wednesday.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Well it finally arrived today. I put a pi to the left of it so you get a feeling for the size of the pi2jamma. I also ordered a little acrylic case for it just so it's somewhat clean.

j6OxFTA.jpg

And here on the back of the pi2jamma is where the pi just plugs into it with the pin connector thing. And then you plug an audio cable in and it's basically ready to go, other than getting an image ready.

B0JQgTu.jpg

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It looks pretty decent put together.

1fFu05j.jpg

oLwpobR.jpg

I plan on mounting it to the inside of the cabinet when it's all said and done, should take a few minutes with the holes in that case.

I tried my current RetroPie image and I got no video. I think it had to do with the resolution being set for 1080p on it, and it was just showing the top left corner of it because it was dark.

So I snagged the pinHP image from here:

And put that onto the SD card. Plugged it in and bam it was ready to go. It's pretty awesome how plug/play this is. The image I used had some default games on it and I tried out Ghosts and Goblin first and it played perfectly.

Here's the menu with the games that are on here by default.

It's pretty damn awesome and now I have to start customizing it and get everything up and running perfectly. The nice thing about this is that they recommend putting roms on USB so I don't have to reburn the image every time I put new games on.

I plan on getting a local guy to rejuevnate my monitor too. It is dim but the video makes it look much dimmer than it actually is.

I also have to wire up the bottom 3 buttons because they aren't on the JAMMA harness, and I have to add 4 pins to the harness and then 2 wires running to a terminal on the pi2jamma.

But so far so good!

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Well that is straight up awesome! Time to put in some serious gaming time.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I had been trying to figure out WTF was wrong with my MK2 sound, so after diagnosing stuff it was pointing towards the amplifier on the soundboard being bad. It was diagnosed by touching the pins on it while the game is on and if you hear static that means it was fine. Well I heard none so I decided to get one off ebay for $11.

I just installed it and bam - it works like it's brand new!

So now 2 of the 3 that were initially not working are fixed. I still have no clue what is wrong with KI2 though and kind of gave up on it because I wasn't getting any leads on to what the issue is and it's probably above my pay grade to fix it.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I had been trying to figure out WTF was wrong with my MK2 sound, so after diagnosing stuff it was pointing towards the amplifier on the soundboard being bad. It was diagnosed by touching the pins on it while the game is on and if you hear static that means it was fine. Well I heard none so I decided to get one off ebay for $11.

I just installed it and bam - it works like it's brand new!

So now 2 of the 3 that were initially not working are fixed. I still have no clue what is wrong with KI2 though and kind of gave up on it because I wasn't getting any leads on to what the issue is and it's probably above my pay grade to fix it.
LeonK recently fixed a ton of KI1 and KI2 boards. Says the CPU needed a heat sink but didn't have one so they typically cook themselves. He had a tray full of NOS replacement CPUs. What are your symptoms?

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
LeonK recently fixed a ton of KI1 and KI2 boards. Says the CPU needed a heat sink but didnt have one so they typically cook themselves. He had a tray full of NOS replacement CPUs. What are your symptoms?
No video or no sound at all. Last time I turned it on 14 years ago it worked fine. I don't get the loud "BONG" either when it powers on. It's not the HDD either because without the HDD plugged in it should be showing a blue screen then hear "DANGER DANGER" but I don't get anything like that. The lights on the PCB are on too so it's getting power, and I've messed with a multimeter to make sure the right voltages are going.

And regular KI works perfectly, as does MK1 and MK2 now.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
No video or no sound at all. Last time I turned it on 14 years ago it worked fine. I don't get the loud "BONG" either when it powers on. It's not the HDD either because without the HDD plugged in it should be showing a blue screen then hear "DANGER DANGER" but I don't get anything like that. The lights on the PCB are on too so it's getting power, and I've messed with a multimeter to make sure the right voltages are going.

And regular KI works perfectly, as does MK1 and MK2 now.
Very good chance it's a CPU failure. It's not an easy repair but it's typically a whole lot worse if someone tries to DIY without the equipment for reworking QFP chips. I've successfully removed and reinstalled two N64 RCP chips (160 pin QFP GPU) and an SNES 1chip (similar size QFP) but I've also failed on a LSPC2A2 on a Neo Geo and would not trust myself to do it on someone else's equipment. Looking at the horror movie scenes on the boards LeonK was dealing with, it seems most were horribly damaged by people trying to remove them without the right equipment. I definitely suggest sending him a message to see if he can help. Oh: and put a heat sink on the other KI board! Also, if you want to sell the broken KI2 board for cheap, maybe I'll give it a whirl. ;) Always wanted KI2.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Very good chance it's a CPU failure. It's not an easy repair but it's typically a whole lot worse if someone tries to DIY without the equipment for reworking QFP chips. I've successfully removed and reinstalled two N64 RCP chips (160 pin QFP GPU) and an SNES 1chip (similar size QFP) but I've also failed on a LSPC2A2 on a Neo Geo and would not trust myself to do it on someone else's equipment. Looking at the horror movie scenes on the boards LeonK was dealing with, it seems most were horribly damaged by people trying to remove them without the right equipment. I definitely suggest sending him a message to see if he can help. Oh: and put a heat sink on the other KI board! Also, if you want to sell the broken KI2 board for cheap, maybe I'll give it a whirl. ;) Always wanted KI2.
Yeah I am not sure yet there is this one guy who repairs em that I may send it to. At this point I'm probably going to hang onto all of my JAMMA PCB's even though I'm going to hook up MAME in there. I do know that KI and KI2 aren't even emulated well yet on MAME so good thing I have my KI PCB/HD. MK1 and MK2 are emulated pretty much perfectly or good enough for me though. I could probably sell those for like $400 total but I am not strap for cash so I plan on keeping them.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Made a lot of progress tonight. Yesterday all of my parts came however, I had ordered a crimper and some wire from Amazon that arrived yesterday that was the wrong kind. I did not realize I needed a specific type of crimper for these pins but I did, and I just had a standard crimper so that didn't work. Also the silicone wire I ordered was ass. I hated how flimsy it was and the casing was really thick. And it also kind of "peeled" so it was hard to get a flush cut of the casing when stripping wire. So last night I ordered more stuff on Amazon and it came this morning so I finally had some time tonight to mess with it.

The crimper I needed was this kind here, and there is the little wire kit I got too.

YlNdCpI.jpg

So the general gist of what I needed to do was create a 6 pin molex connector to connect to my control panel (where the kick harness goes for JAMMA boards) and then wire 4 of those to pins 25 and 26 on both top/bottom for buttons 4 and 5 for P1 and P2, and then I had to wire up button 6 for both players and that goes to a screw terminal on the pi2jamma.

Here is a pic of the little .100" terminals that go into the molex connector. These were pretty hard to do just being so little and I don't have Trump like hands. But I managed. And the other terminal is what I used for the screw terminals so it wasn't just raw wire.

BaEHqp4.jpg

And here is a .156" terminal that goes into the empty slots on the JAMMA harness. These look identical to the .100" molex ones for the most part.

ZOFPhgz.jpg

Here is the JAMMA harness for pins 25 and 26 on the top side of it, for P1 buttons 4 and 5. It is the white wire and black one to the right of it.

CO4JCWV.jpg

And here is the other side for pins 25 and 26 for P2 buttons 4 and 5. it's the green wire and the yellow one to the left of it.

11zNJqG.jpg

And then here are buttons 6 for both P1 and P2 in the pi2jamma.

BjGPHuc.jpg

And then here is the actual molex connector plugged into the control panel. I don't know if you can tell, but the blue wires on the control panel all have another color on it like a small spot, and I tried to match those up except I had to match brown with white. But the rest pretty much match up.

lZenPVx.jpg

Tomorrow I plan on going to Home Depot and getting a bunch of zip ties and zip tieing everything to the current wires running to the JAMMA harness so it will be much cleaner. Then I plan to mount the pi2jamma on the side of the cabinet too where the JAMMA PCB's typically go. So everything should be super clean tomorrow unless I don't have time and I will post some pics of it cleaned up.

Everything is working fine control wise though so that is all that matters in the end. I still plan on getting my monitor rejuvenated and then it will pretty much be finished.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Took some time tonight to clean up the wiring and mount it and it turned out great.

On the inside of the cabinet is a board mounted to the side of the cabinet. That is where the KI2 PCB and HDD were mounted to. You can see the fan is pointed upwards right where the PCB would be mounted. And shit I need to get a new fan that thing is so damn loud.

Obviously the pi2jamma is much smaller than a JAMMA PCB so it doesn't take up nearly as much space, but I had to mount it right near the JAMMA harness because there isn't much give on it.

op0qQKe.jpg

yvOfAJZ.jpg

Here is the cleaned up wiring for the kick harness I had to make before I ziptied it to the rest of the wires, but even this was way cleaner.

2gkhzKT.jpg

And here is the final product. You can see I ziptied the kick harness wires to the big bunch that was running down the side already. And you can see the 2 wires that had to be hooked up to the screw terminal on the pi2jamma for P1 and P2 6 button. I tried to keep that a little cleaner too with the zipties and those terminals too.

aJfqWge.jpg

sxKLpKB.jpg

And then here is a closeup of the extra wires hooked to the JAMMA harness for buttons 4 and 5 for both P1 and P2, connected to the pi2jamma. I tried to keep it a little clean too because the wires were a tad longer and I wasn't re-crimping that shit. But it was barely too long.

RKp9Drv.jpg

If you all want to see it in action I took a video of it booting up and stuff so you can see how long it takes to boot up and the interface and what not, with a small video of it inside and stuff too. You can hear how loud that fan is so I'm definitely going to find a quieter one. Hell I don't even know if I need one to be honest.

And shit, I am too damn big to be fitting into an arcade cabinet to ziptie all this crap.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I ended up adding some spacers between the pi2jamma and the board it's mounted to, since I realized that I can't get the damn SD card out without them. I didn't realize that until I needed to get it out and had to take it off lol.

Tomorrow I am headed to this guys house in the evening who is going to hopefully rejuvenate my monitor. I had to take it all out again tonight so I can bring the tube as well. He's apparently one of the best in the business at it so hopefully it's simple stuff he can do to it.

iiHJyFX.jpg

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Went to the dudes house last night for about 3 hours and he made my monitor look brand new. The tube was in fine condition after he ran his diagnostics on it, which was good to hear, so no rejuvenation needed. He did a cap kit replacement and reflowed the neckboard and chassis. He also replaced some resistors.

When he fired it up I immediately noticed how much more vivid/bright everything was and he was just running some test screens.

Noobie me didn't realize that I made it so much harder for myself taking the monitor out how I did. There is a frame in the cabinet that the chassis, tube, and everything is mounted to, that just pops out, and that is what he wanted me to bring everything in. It makes it much easier to transport/carry, and he had to put it in one at his house anyways, which wasn't a big deal, but just would have made both our lives a bit easier.

I got home at like 11:15pm last night so did not have any time to mess with it, but tonight I'm going to try and get everything back in and see how it looks in my cabinet. I'm going to remove the frame and put everything back into the frame like we did at his house, and then put it back in on the frame.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Got the monitor hooked up and sitting on a table so I can calibrate it while looking at the screen. I got it pretty decently calibrated, although once I put my pi2jamma in there, I'll probably have to redo it lol.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I think I may have opened up a flood gate.

I may be picking up another cabinet this weekend :/.