My CPU is about 57degrees celcius .....Is this too hot?

DOOPYLOOPY

Aug 11, 2000
What are most peoples heatsinks at?

my mobo is rev 1.02 where the diode is placed for you already i believe.

Comp specs are in sig

Thanks

jinsonxu

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2000
Mine's 49 degrees. 47 when not cracking RC5.
I'm using a GlobalWin FOP32.

Very soon, Mikewarrior will post his rant about the inaccuracy of the probe. :)

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
it's not a rant when it is the cold hard truth about AMD/VIA based systems.

Might I also Add that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get only a 2C difference between IDLE and Full Load Temps if you were measuring CORE Temp

Mike

han888

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000
i ever owe a7v before and my cpu temp is about 50 c too, that's way i sold it, for me the temp >40 is the damn hot

springdale

Jan 24, 2000
Second that Mikewarrior2. Its definitely NOT a rant.
Your posts have been most educational and informative.
Keep it up.

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
Doopyloopy,

You have a problem with the installation of your HSF. How did you install, did you use the thermal pad or some kinda grease. The under core thermistors are not accurate but they tend to 'lie' equally well. Does your heatsink get warm to the touch??

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Stop supporting the under cpu thermistor temp readings. People BELIEVE They are core readings. That is where the mistakes are coming in. IF you want to use htem as a reference, then it is perfectly fine. But to compare temps on Different Systems with an under cpu thermistor can't be done properly. NOt everyone has the same lying thermistor.

Just Like jinsonxu's cpu temp readings. Those are wrong solely because htey are not showing the full range of temps that a cpu can change from(going from full load to idle). Thermistor's aren't even in the remotest sense accurate, especially when comparing between different system's.

Mike

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
You could try some 80mm case fans,my own Taisol heatsink/fan is at 43c(using T-bird 900) ,never goes above 46c even under heavy gaming ,Normaly it` between 40-46C depending on what load it`s under,the 2 case fans I use do help keep the temperature down.Btw using MSI K7T PRO board.

:)

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
MikeW,

Know one doubts the inaccuracy of Thermistors or the fact that different systems can not be compared with any degree of certainty. I absolutely agree that the actual core temp, at the die center, is probably 10-15c higher than the reading taken in the socket, taken with a good thermocouple. BUT, Doopyloopys readings are high AND to be safe he should take action, that why I asked if the HSF got warm to the touch.

jinsonxu

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2000
Apologies for any offense caused Mike, I know you have a point there and thus was awaiting your detailed analysis.

I'm also pretty puzzled by my temperatures though i think there's something to do with the bios revision since 1.003 does give a wider temperature difference between full load and idle.

At the moment, 1Ghz at 1.75v gives me 57 degrees C.
So each 0.1V increase works out to about a 2.8 degree increase in temperature.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
on a p3, the difference between idle/full on a thermistor based solution was roughly 4C.

REading the internal diode, the difference is usually about 10C.

Mike

DOOPYLOOPY

Aug 11, 2000
Yeah i thought it was a high reading too. I don't need a super accurate comparison just a general idea that it is way too high. I didn't install the HSF myself and it is a crappy Coolmaster. I'm going to rip it off and put on a GlobalWIN FOP-32 or a Platinum ORB. I'm not sure how well mounted or how thick the conductive paste is. I'll see how it feels to the touch. Should it feel warm?

I said my mobo was an Asus A7V rev 1.02 because the diode is already placed i believe. So I was hoping people with the same board and same cpu would tell me their readings.

Thanks heaps for your comments though. I definitely need a new HSF.

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
Doopy,

The reson I asked about your HSF is that if its warm to the touch, it generally means that the thermal interface between the hsf and the core is OK. A better fan can then help reduce temps. If your hsf is not warm, then the problem will usually be poor hsf seating on the core. I have to add that I am not impressed with ORBAGE of any kind, stick with the Globalwin.

Techwhore

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2000
you guys wanna see thermostat inaccuracy??

Duron 600 @ 1000 1.85v
GlobalWin Fop 38
Abit KT7 RAID

full load i pull in at about 30 celcius, and 18 ambient. Keep in mind i do have 9 or 10 high powered fans so the ambient is probably a pretty good reading. However, as good as the fop 38 is and the mix of chemtronics silver grease and radioshack stuff is, i don't think my full load pulls in at only 30 celcius. That'd be super for air cooling though :)

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Wow... 86F for cpu core temp? That would be awesome... ;)

yeah, that would be impossible with air cooling, unless of course you had an ambient temp of 6C. :) The reason being, at 1ghz and 1.85 volts, a duron puts out roughly 60W of heat. the globalwin is roughly .4c/w, so you get 24C over ambient ;).

Oh, and about the Ambient temp, what is your air temp? No matter how many fans you have, you can't drop cpu idle temp below room temp(often times, it'll be a few c higher, since a cpu is never completely idle).

Mike

ZeroBurn

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2000
i'm on a cusl2 with a 1002 bios, and using asus probe 2.12 to check the temps. the cpu's a 700e chip running 904mhz @ 1.85v (prime reports errors at 933, bah crap chip) using an alpha pal35t hsf w/ sunon quiet 60mm and artic silver. here's the readings i get.

idle:
cpu- 15 C mobo 29 C

under prime95 load:
cpu- 42 C mobo 30 C

is this accurate? i don't know, the diff between idle and under load seem pretty extreme to me ;) maybe mike can help me out on this one, how accurate is the cusl2 thermistor ?

Techwhore

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2000
Mikewarrior2, my air temp? is that like system/ambient temp? if so, it's between 17-20c, i dropped my voltage to 1.8 and got the core at least one degree cooler and it's stable, i'm trying to go down to 1.75 but we'll see...

ZeroBurn

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2000
downloaded the new asus probe 2.12.02 and got these radical new scores:

idle:
cpu- 35 C mobo 29 C

under prime95 load for 20 min:
cpu- 54 C mobo 29 C

after 20 seconds it dropped back down to 38. 54's way hotter then i'd like it to run, especially with an alpha. time to reapply the artic silver ;)

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
TechWhore

Air Temp, or Case temp... Even in optimal situations, a cpu will be at least 2C higher than the ambient case temperature at idle(since idle is not 100% idle, rather like 99.5% idle). In Order for you to be getting 18C idle temp, your air temp would
have to be around 50-60F.

Your cpu(@1ghz + 1.8V) puts out roughly 57w of heat, so at .4c/w with your heatsink, if you ambient was 16c, your full load temp would be at least 39C.(keep in mind, even with artic silver, this isn't achievable).

Note that your ambient idle cpu temp is not ambient air temp.

Zeroburn,

Your chip puts out roughly 30W, so getting a full load temp of 54 is a tad high. I'd check to make sure the heatsink is nice and flat on the cpu.

Mike

ZeroBurn

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2000
well, i reapplied the artic silver and hsf, and here's what i got

idle:
cpu- 34 C mobo 28 C

under prime95 load for 20 min:
cpu- 44 C mobo 28 C

the original application of AS i'd put on there was fairly thin. not quite transparent, but quite thin nevertheless. after cleaning it off with nail polish remover i reapplied with a thick layer of AS, quite a bit in excess i'm sure. but figuring it was better then having less, i just let the alpha squish it all out. looks like thicker is better, at least for a p3-700 / alpha setup. this looks a bit more acceptable to me ;)

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
definately. With Artic Silver, a little bit extra is far better than having too little.

Also, your temps look pretty good now. :)

Mike