Question My computer produces a crackling sound. What is the problem?

Hougy

Jan 13, 2021
I have a Sound Blaster Z and sometimes it produces a crackling sound or a little pause.

I always assumed the audio card had some kind of problem, but recently I tested the audio from the motherboard and it has the exact same problem. What could be the cause and how can I fix it?

The motherboard is a Asrock Z87M Extreme4 with a 4670k @stock

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Tried turning your speaker off, then turning the volume knob all the way down and up again a few times, then turn it back on? Or use some contact cleaner on the speaker cable plugs / jacks.

Reactions: Hougy and RLGL

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
When two different, reasonably independent sources produce the same symptom, it's a good bet that the problem is downstream. So: bad cable, bad or dirty connectors, bad or dirty volume control in whatever amp you're using (whether speaker builtin or outboard), etc.

Reactions: Hougy and RLGL

Hougy

Jan 13, 2021
Tried turning your speaker off, then turning the volume knob all the way down and up again a few times, then turn it back on? Or use some contact cleaner on the speaker cable plugs / jacks.
When two different, reasonably independent sources produce the same symptom, it's a good bet that the problem is downstream. So: bad cable, bad or dirty connectors, bad or dirty volume control in whatever amp you're using (whether speaker builtin or outboard), etc.
Thanks.

I only use headphones and I also has this issue with another pair.

Maybe the issue is that when I move the cable also moves and sometimes the jack moves in a way that causes noise? I will try fixating part of the cable.

Could it also be an issue with the PSU or with improper grounding?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ PSU would tend to cause slight background humming or static that varies with load, not crackling.

You definitely shouldn't let the headphone/other cable continually move and put changing pressure on the analog audio jack.

Reactions: Leeea