My computer freezes when left overnight. help

JD32

Feb 25, 2004
my computer freezes when left overnight. in the morning, i turn the monitor on, and move the mouse and it woudlnt respond. the i have to resete the computer.
what could be the problem? and how do i solve this problem.
Thanks,

JD32

Feb 25, 2004
P4 3.2Ghz 800Mhz
Asus P4C800E Deluxe
1Gb Corsair Mem
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
WD74 Raptors

WinXP Pro

Monitor Syncmaster 213T

Gigaah

Jun 10, 2004
I've experienced problems with power managment features locking up systems when they kick in.

Control Panel/Power options. Maybe try turning that off.

Problems of this nature are tough to crack with out havinig the PC in front of you given the variety of problems that could cause it.

When you get to the end of your rope, Reformat and reinstall windows :)

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Sounds like something is running in background that causes the crash. An easy fix is not to leave it on at night when you retire. Let it rest and save some juice as well.

GreatBarracuda

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
Originally posted by: JD32
P4 3.2Ghz 800Mhz
Asus P4C800E Deluxe
1Gb Corsair Mem
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
WD74 Raptors

WinXP Pro

Monitor Syncmaster 213T

As you may have noticed..I have the same processor and motherboard as you and I experienced some confusion over this when I first got my rig. I think I have an idea of what you're going through...but first let me ask you a question...do you leave the computer ON overnight...as in are your power options set to "never" for all things (monitor, hard-drive, power off) or are they set to turn off after a specific time. Therefore is the computer on or off in the morning (as in standby mode and not shutdown-off).

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Mine does it with certain screensavers. I blame my stupid 9700. If I use the star screensaver it's fine but with more complex ones like the flowerbox it freezes.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Gigaah
I've experienced problems with power managment features locking up systems when they kick in.

Control Panel/Power options. Maybe try turning that off.

Problems of this nature are tough to crack with out havinig the PC in front of you given the variety of problems that could cause it.

When you get to the end of your rope, Reformat and reinstall windows :)

Yes, I as well. I have found that if I let set the monitor to power off after x-minutes, the monitor will not come back on after I jiggle the mouse or hit a key or whatever. This only happened approximately 10% of the time, but it's annoying and frightening as hell b/c I always have five or six things open all the time. Always afraid of data loss after hitting the reset button.

Don't know and don't THINK it has anything to do w/overclocking, since I can run Prime95, loop 3Dmark for more than 16 hours straight w/no probs. I'm always overclocked, so I haven't tried to see if this happens with normal speeds. :D

FIX: I dunno. *shrug* I just neve have my monitor turn off; screen saveer does it's job. :)

GreatBarracuda

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
Ok give this a try...go to your bios and Power->APM Configuration and set the first four items to:

Enabled
Suspend
Suspend
Disabled

and the last two iitems...set it so your computer powers up with PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard and choose a key for your keyboard to power up the system. See if this works.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: tk109
Mine does it with certain screensavers. I blame my stupid 9700. If I use the star screensaver it's fine but with more complex ones like the flowerbox it freezes.

that would just be weird if it was the video card's fault

goblue420

Aug 29, 2003
im actually currently havin same prob sometimes mine locks up when im using it, event viewer shows nothing, and this is getting really annoying, it used it work perfectly fine and now its f'ed up i even reformatted/reinstalled, idk whats up

dudeman007

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
Moral of the story is don't leave your computer on overnight kids. There's really no point. It's unsafe for protection against hackers, it costs electricity, and it messes up your computer.

goblue420

Aug 29, 2003
Originally posted by: dudeman007
Moral of the story is don't leave your computer on overnight kids. There's really no point. It's unsafe for protection against hackers, it costs electricity, and it messes up your computer.

bah, hackers can hack me for all i care i have nothing on my hdd that is absolutely confidential, plus on top of that i dont pay the power bill :)