My complaint towards Case Reviews

BuffaloChuck

Mar 12, 2013
I have a long-standing complaint against Case Reviews that refuse to use even half of the HDD bays.

I want to see how much space has been ENGINEERED between stacked HDDs.

I want to see the air-flow spacing between stacked drives (Antecs are generally great - most others are not). A lot of perpendicular drive cages have nearly solid cage-walls between the drives and the front fans, disabling even more airflow.

All of these are designed and engineered, yet reviewers never demonstrate this or even give it attention. Putting in a single SSD in a mid- or tower case - good grief. How can THAT be a decent review when the capabilities of the designed-for case are less than half-used?!!

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
I agree, and not only for the airflow. Lets see how many cases can handle 6 7200rpm hdd's and not drive you crazy with the noise caused by the vibrations.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I don't really understand why so many cases have space for so many drives. So few people even go past two drives, and yet most cases seem to come with space for 8 at least. Seems kind of pointless to have this huge case with all that space for drives which no one uses. They could save a lot of space and improve air cooling with less fans without it.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I don't really understand why so many cases have space for so many drives. So few people even go past two drives, and yet most cases seem to come with space for 8 at least. Seems kind of pointless to have this huge case with all that space for drives which no one uses. They could save a lot of space and improve air cooling with less fans without it.

+1

BuffaloChuck

Mar 12, 2013
Bright, yes, this is another issue. I think I'll open a second message to complain TO the case designers themselves! Meanwhile, I just wish Case Reviews would use at least half of the drive bays when they review a case OR DON'T BOTHER doing a less-than-halfass review. And yet, they always prance around with how Clean or Not Clean the cabling is. Yeah. Right. One whole drive. Whoopee doo. What a grand achievement! Stick in 6 drives and pop off, eh?

That way, they'd also discover how difficult a motherboard's vertical SATA pedestals are when MB trays don't provide adequate cut-out space to access all of those easily.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
I find that having that many slot is justifiable as I do use them. In fact, I do have a CM Elite 343(mini file server) with 3 HDDs and another 2 or 3 in the near future, making full use of the motherboard's 6 SATA ports.

There are cases with removable drive cage(even cheap ones like my CM Elite 343) if your needs are not a lot or you're improving case airflow. Either that, get SFF cases which only supports at most 2 HDD/SSD.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Computer cases for the most part are big boxes that will fill up a landfill some day. It is like having a case with 5 5.5 drive slots. Who uses them? For that matter who uses all these PCI slots and PCIE slots? I know some gamers use one or two video cards, but most people use like one video card if even that. I think a MSATA and a Mini PCIE slot for a SSD might be more useful.

I would like the computer industry to get rid of the optical drives. They are dinosaurs. There is no game that will not fit on a flash drive or could not be downloaded. Only the digital rights nazi's are holding back the development of better technology.

Maybe there are some uses for computers with a lot of slots, but most people dont use them.

Last edited:

BuffaloChuck

Mar 12, 2013
I prefer optical drives. When we're left with only subscriber fees and DRM problems from streaming, there will be a WHOLE LOTTA advantages to "having my own media" in-house. For games, yeah, who cares, though? Optical drives for my own copies of films - that's the stakes. Few folks have a hundred or two hundred games but, over a few years of DVD buying, tons of consumers end up with hundreds of DVDs - or thousands.

And while many of those folks never start out "collecting", NO ONE buys any DVD just to throw it away. They always buy it to leave it on their shelf. For rainy day watching. That's the mentality. So, a dozen build up, then fifty or sixty. "I better alphabetize this shelf..." It passes a hundred. A couple of years of casual buying pushes it much higher.

DRM, streaming subscriptions that force consumers to live in urban jungles because most of the USA still doesn't have rural broadband services. How many folks want to retire to an urban jungle? Compared to, say, "I want to live out in the country!" Which will eventually mean "detached from the grid". We can only dream!

So I like optical drives. Despite the urban-blighters who want to force all of us into a some downtown Detroit-style wasteland with DRM ruling everything, and everything's a subscription fee. I love having the media myself. On MY schedule in MY location.

Of course, I miss LPs and the great, large artwork and five-times-the-CD-sized liner notes.