My company is cutting 20 - 25% of it's global workforce

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
When I started im 1985 the local employment was about 54,000. Now it's about 20,000. In another few years it will be about 16,000.

Wish the trend was reversed.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill
As soon as technology gets more innefficient :Q
Yep. Its amazing, if not a bit humorous, to watch someone give a rhetoric-filled speech in support of 'the technology revolution that will empower the common man and make the recording industry obsolete' when defending piracy and demonizing attempts to regulate the internet, but will turn right around in another thread and heap condemnation upon the exact same 'technology revolution' when it makes manual labor obsolete.

Translation: You're a fascist when you try to stifle technology I profit from and you're a fascist when you don't stifle technology someone else profit's from. Only technology I profit from should be allowed.

This mentality, ironically, is the definition of fascism....

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Where do you work, Sun Micro? ;) :D My Dad got laid off almost two years ago, and his good friend who has been there for about 20 years just got laid off. :(

Bassyhead

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Michael
My guess is Kodak and Rochester, NY.

Michael

I know someone who got laid off from Kodak. He was worried so asked his department head if he was safe from a pink slip. He assured him he was, then later they laid off the entire department. He got hired back for a different position albeit not as good at lower pay.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Makes me happy my company has no place to go but up...they only made 180k last year and are on track to make 2-5 million next year. I was the 5th employee. We now have 11 and will probably have 40 by the end of the year.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Sun Micro and IBM have been doing a lot of hacking and slashing the past few years. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of those companies.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
IBM is a beast huh. Great article in last week's Business week about IBM, Accenture and Infosys becoming the top 3 tech-service companies. Western companies are good at the hand holding of their clients and Indian comapanies are good at being cheap... Interesting article.. it says that both countries will have winners in the end...

I don't know what to make of that except that IBM and accenture have to learn how to be cheaper while the Indians get stronger at being better hand holders.. who knows!

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: FoBoT
Originally posted by: cashman
Where do you work, Sun Micro?

I could guess
But maybe I
aM wrong
No no no... IBM stands for I've Been Moved. ;)

And they employ over 350,000.

he said local employment, as i the employees in upstate new york, not total company employment

it is either kodak or IBM , this they are the main employers in upstate NY that have shrank that much during that time . or maybe GE, but i don't think they have that many left in that area

i dunno

probably kodak , the PBS business report just ran a story about more kodak job cuts

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: cashman
Where do you work, Sun Micro?

I could guess
But maybe I
aM wrong
No no no... IBM stands for I've Been Moved. ;)

And they employ over 350,000.

he said local employment, as i the employees in upstate new york, not total company employment

it is either kodak or IBM , this they are the main employers in upstate NY that have shrank that much during that time . or maybe GE, but i don't think they have that many left in that area

i dunno

probably kodak , the PBS business report just ran a story about more kodak job cuts
You have no idea how many facilities IBM owns/rents throughout the world. There's no way there's that many in one local area. Especially near Rochester. If it were downstate NY, it'd be a slightly different story. Not to mention his title tells you 20-25% gone. That ain't happening with Big Blue.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Blue last week said they were anticipating 15K to be added over the next year.

4500 were to be US based

CChaos

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
IBM's HQ is pretty much in my backyard and they've got a few other big offices around here as well. I'd love to work for them!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: CChaos
IBM's HQ is pretty much in my backyard and they've got a few other big offices around here as well. I'd love to work for them!

they're always looking for qualified janitors

new2AMD

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Here in Rochester, its either Kodak or Xerox. Since Kodak announced major layoffs I know where my guess lies. At the end of this year my employer will be the #1 employer in Rochester. Fortunately research, schooling, and health care arent going obsolete. We keep getting bigger and I keep thanking my lucky stars for this job.

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
Originally posted by: new2AMD
Here in Rochester, its either Kodak or Xerox. Since Kodak announced major layoffs I know where my guess lies. At the end of this year my employer will be the #1 employer in Rochester. Fortunately research, schooling, and health care arent going obsolete. We keep getting bigger and I keep thanking my lucky stars for this job.

You work for the UR? They are going to be #1 once Kodak gets done with the current round of layoffs.

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
How else could they afford all those bonuses? ;)

My "company" is worse off...We are running a deficit in the billions.

new2AMD

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: optoman
Originally posted by: new2AMD

You work for the UR? They are going to be #1 once Kodak gets done with the current round of layoffs.

Yes I do.