my cheek hurts after going to the dentist

vital

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2000
I went to the dentist about 2 weeks ago and I can sort of feel the area where the dentist stuck a needle in. It feels like there's a hole or crater on the inside of my cheek now. It also hurts when I move my cheeks. Is this normal after getting a shot in the mouth?

Manuwell

Jan 19, 2006
Well... could be lupus. FINALLY !

Edit: On a second thought, it sounds better than having this feeling inside your @$$ after being to the dentist...

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Is the area that you feel on the inside of your cheek sensitive?

It could just be the large duct there (Stenson's duct) that empties saliva that you are feeling with your tongue. It's bilateral so you should feel it on both cheeks.

Or possibly you bit your cheek after the local anesthesia was administered. It not uncommon for people to unknowingly bit their cheek or tongue when numbed by the dentist. (We warn people, especially kids, about that).

Other than that, I've never heard of any other injection site issue post visiting the dentist. Usually the site is sore for a couple of days at the most.

AgentUnknown

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
You probably bit on your cheek during the anesthesia. You don't get a needle in your cheek.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
It's probably a canker sore. Fairly common actually, try rinsing with some Colgate oral rinse or Orabase applied directly to the sore.

I've had them on and off my entire life but stress and eating foods highly acidic tend to bring them on more than anything.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
It's probably a canker sore. Fairly common actually, try rinsing with some Colgate oral rinse or Orabase applied directly to the sore.

I've had them on and off my entire life but stress and eating foods highly acidic tend to bring them on more than anything.
Agreed. That's what it sounds like. I envy the OP for not knowing what this sort of thing is. I've got three right now. :(
Get one on one cheek from biting it while chewing. Shift to the other side, and then bit that one. Then my tongue, while it's trying to carefully shuffle food around so as to avoid causing additional pain, manages to get in the way, and it also gets bit. I use Orajel, but it wears off after about a minute of eating. I think I need a permanent prescription for novocaine.
It might be hereditary. My dad had mouth ulcers for a long time. His cure - he turned 40, and they just about stopped completely. Other than age, nothing helped.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Good thought Jules, and canker sores can come on after you bite your tissue or it gets abraded in some other way.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Manuwell
Well... could be lupus. FINALLY !

Edit: On a second thought, it sounds better than having this feeling inside your @$$ after being to the dentist...

Did he specify which cheek? :shocked:

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
2 weeks ago? Unless you had some major dental work or gum work, I would think any tissue damage would be healed up. I'd go back and let him look at it.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
For every time the dentist asks you whether something hurts when they are drilling fucking holes into your teeth you should get to kick the dentist in the balls and ask him whether it hurts. He can numb them first if he wants.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: BudAshes
For every time the dentist asks you whether something hurts when they are drilling fucking holes into your teeth you should get to kick the dentist in the balls and ask him whether it hurts. He can numb them first if he wants.

you sound like a model patient. :roll:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
You must visit a shitty dentist, then. He doesn't use anethesia?

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
I went to a dentist and he stuck a needle deep into like my jaw and it would hurt at the needle site, not sure if it was normal or not though.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Originally posted by: moshquerade

you sound like a model patient. :roll:

You sound like you are using sarcasm.