My car's O2/Oxygen sensor is broken - is it safe to drive?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Oh, and cars do have O2 sensors. :roll: My Rodeo had 4 of them. They range in price but usually aren't more than $40-50 each and they aren't difficult to replace if you do it yourself.
The O2 sensor price for a '95 Rodeo runs between $50 and $117. They are clearly cheaper than those for the Civic. Looks like the part prices for the Civic are a bit higher when it comes to O2 sensors.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Tiles2Tech
Oh, and cars do have O2 sensors. :roll: My Rodeo had 4 of them. They range in price but usually aren't more than $40-50 each and they aren't difficult to replace if you do it yourself.
The O2 sensor price for a '95 Rodeo runs between $50 and $117. They are clearly cheaper than those for the Civic. Looks like the part prices for the Civic are a bit higher when it comes to O2 sensors.

the sensor on my 91 civic was a PITA to do, it's right on the manifold between the engine and radiator. i couldn't do it myself.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Tiles2Tech

Ouch! :Q Yeah, I think I paid about $50 each for them online. They were OEM parts I ordered from an Isuzu dealer in Ohio IIRC. I think my local dealer was charging around $80-90 for the same part.

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
I've had a car in which the O2 sensor died, because I was told it was going to cost quite a bit I didn't get it replace. Anyway's biggest problem I had was that the exhaust coming out of the engine was extra hot and turning the exhaust pipe coming out of the manifold blue. Finally it stressed out the bolts holding the pipe and manifold together, letting the exhaust leak into the engine compartment.

Just so you don't get worried, this didn't happen overnight. Probably closer to a 3 or 4 month period.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The main problem with a faulty O2 sensor is that your car's ECU cannot monitor whether the engine is receiveing the correct amount of fuel.

The reason that the warning light comes on for this fault is because it is part of the emissions control system - generally faults that cause excessive pollution cause this light to come on - faults which don't cause this, allow the light to stay off.

You may notice poor fuel consumption, and maybe worsened performance. However, if you don't get it fixed relatively soon you do run the risk of damaging the catalytic converter because of excessive unburned fuel in the exhaust. O2 sensors are much cheaper than catalytsts.

alphadude

Oct 10, 2004
My mates Oxygen Sensor broke on his Subaru 1992 Turbo Wagon. Its been broken for about 6 months.
He took it to subaru dealership and told him the part number, and the guy said there was no hurry.
He sourced the part through a wrecker for cheap. 6 months is a while, and Ive been in the car heaps and theres been no probs.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mark R
The main problem with a faulty O2 sensor is that your car's ECU cannot monitor whether the engine is receiveing the correct amount of fuel.

The reason that the warning light comes on for this fault is because it is part of the emissions control system - generally faults that cause excessive pollution cause this light to come on - faults which don't cause this, allow the light to stay off.

You may notice poor fuel consumption, and maybe worsened performance. However, if you don't get it fixed relatively soon you do run the risk of damaging the catalytic converter because of excessive unburned fuel in the exhaust. O2 sensors are much cheaper than catalytsts.
Best post in the thread.

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: Mark R

Best post in the thread.

Mark, may I ask what you believe constitutes "relatively soon"? Thanks.

I ran a 1992 Mitsu expo lrv sport with a broken o2 sensor for the better part of 2 years. The worst problem I encountered was an idle surge. Which is when you're sitting there idling, the engine will rev and then go back to normal, over and over again.
Eventually I grew tired of sounding like I wanted to race everyone at a stop light and I replaced the sensor.

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
From thepartsbin.com. Looks like they have them for <$175.

You could change it yourself in <20min with little to no experience, especially if you have an the right wrench.

Like it was said before, change it in in weeks rather than months, it could cause damage to the cat, possibly other exhaust components if you go on too long.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Man get that SO of yours under the car. What else is he good for!;):p:D

<-- Only semi-kidding

petejk

Apr 6, 2002
i had this problem w/ my 1998 toyota camry...freakin toyota dealership quoted me like 400 bucks
OMFG

anyway..all i had to do was buy this little diaphram thing for 25 bucks ...thats all....
and i saved myself like 375 bucks and my dignity

you should try to call a dealership...talk to the parts guy....and see what the most popular
O2 related parts are being purchased...

most likely..whatever item shows up as being highly popular....is most likely what you need.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Brand new BOSCH O2 sensor with oem connector is $74.99. Universal denso is $78.99. Denso with oem connector is $103.99. NTK (NGK) is $172.99 with oem connector.

http://www.alloemautoparts.com

edit: the oem honda one is $215msrp, about $173 wholesale.