My car stereo gets so hot it burns you if you touch it..

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
I sure hope this isnt normal or Chevy has a fire hazard..

On my 2003 Impala at night when the lights are on the head unit gets so hot that if you hold your finger to it for any period of time it will actually hurt you.

Ugh.

filmmaker

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by: LordJezo

On my 2003 Impala at night when the lights are on the head unit gets so hot that if you hold your finger to it for any period of time it will actually hurt you.

Ugh.

Might want to get that checked.

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
ouch, that sucks, mine stays nice and cool...but its not factory, its a JVC.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Duh, you bought a chevy. You told us that the impala was better than the competition, and look, now it's gonna blow to smithereens.

Apr 5, 2000
That seems like a serious safety hazard - take it to the dealership asap before your car burns down and you're left with nothing.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Hmm... check it out for sure. 2003 should still be covered under warranty unless you drive a LOT.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
My car stereo gets really hot when in use. I've not had any burning accidents with it, but then again, i don't hold my finger on it long enough to make it burn
rolleye.gif

Confused

rust5tyle

Dec 23, 2002
When you use CD players for an extended time it happens. I've noticed it in every manual for any CD player I've owned, the front gets VERY hot when its in use. Generally they have a temp. detector that shuts it down w/ an error code if it gets too hot, but it's normal as far as I know.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: rust5tyle
When you use CD players for an extended time it happens. I've noticed it in every manual for any CD player I've owned, the front gets VERY hot when its in use. Generally they have a temp. detector that shuts it down w/ an error code if it gets too hot, but it's normal as far as I know.

Huh? Even if this were true (and I have never run into it, even on portable CD players), I find it hard to believe that the designer would create a CD player in which the face got too hot to touch, because that would predictably cause accidents (presumably a certain number of drivers would recoil from the heat and knock the car out of gear or lose control of the car). I have never seen a car stereo heat up perceptibly at all, and none of the three in-dash CD players I have used have been warm to the touch, much less burning hot. I am not doubting what you say, but what brand of CD players are you talking about?

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Cut the illumination wire so the lights don't turn on when you turn your headlights on.

rust5tyle

Dec 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Don_Vito
Originally posted by: rust5tyle

Huh? Even if this were true (and I have never run into it, even on portable CD players), I find it hard to believe that the designer would create a CD player in which the face got too hot to touch, because that would predictably cause accidents (presumably a certain number of drivers would recoil from the heat and knock the car out of gear or lose control of the car). I have never seen a car stereo heat up perceptibly at all, and none of the three in-dash CD players I have used have been warm to the touch, much less burning hot. I am not doubting what you say, but what brand of CD players are you talking about?
There have been several I've touched that have caused me/people around me to pull away quickly, I hardly doubt you could throw paper at it and it would combust. :p The brand I'm talking about is Alpine. You don't have to believe what I say, but I've seen and touched several that could very easily make you say *ouch* but I have a hard time believing they could burn you.

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
My mother's Buick has a factory CD player that gets quite warm as well. It doesn't burn, but I certainly wouldn't want to keep my hand on it.

Ladies Man

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
been in several cars where radio/cdplayers are hot to the touch

They were aftermarket stereos though i think

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Ladies Man
been in several cars where radio/cdplayers are hot to the touch

They were aftermarket stereos though i think

I think he's talking about his stock system.

Mine doesn't get hot at all. Not even warm :D

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
they reason they get hot is because the amplifiers w/in the stereo must expell heat (duh) and when there is hardly any room for it to go, it heats the metal up, and everything else. thus it gets hot, i know my dads avalanche when playing a cd, will make the cd hot enough to make u wince when it hits your hand, but thats only after like 1.5 hours.

MIKE

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: LordJezo

Ugh.
I dunno, I've seen CD players that get warm, I've seen amps get hot near the power transistor section, but that don't seem right.
Call the dealer.

v3rrv3

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
Yeah,
There's one my in mom's 2002 Suburban that gets extremely hot also. It could burn me I'm sure but I haven't left my hand on there long enough to find out :p It seems like it eventually just reaches a high and doesn't go higher so it doesn't seem like a hazard. But we haven't had any problems with it in 40k+ miles so I'm sure you'll be fine :)

- Kevin